X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Well That Was Fun

Well maybe not. Very busy hurricane season this year has kept me busy since early August. Spent 3 weeks on the TX coast, another 4 weeks Orlando/Gainesville, and a life time on St Thomas. Was suppose to go to Puerto Rico, but declined as we are beat down.

Normally hurricanes do not have much effect on my. This year is different. I seen things I have never seen happen, especially in TX. On utility and city maps, areas were Blacked Out. Come to find out those Blacked Out areas meant no restoration and off limits. Those areas have been written off and lost for good. If you were to go there, you would quickly realize why. Nothing left standing to restore.

I did earn a new nickname, Dog Man. I have a soft spot for dogs and in TX I rescued 26 dogs and returned all 26 to their owners. Our camp was full of dogs. Come to find out two of the dogs were VIP's owned by a Bush. Houston and surrounding area was hit hard. Normally in Houston, you know where it is going to flood, downtown and lower income properties. Those areas were hit, but with 50 to 60 inches of rain, large swaths of land were flooded, even upper income areas that thought they would be high and dry.

Anyway as bad as this may sound, The USA got off on easy street. Yes many people lost their homes, but not their country. St Martin, St Thomas, and Puerto Rico were pretty much wiped out.Not only did you likely loose your home, but there is few or no places to go, no electricity, food or water. When I left St Thomas only 50% of electricity has been restored, and many areas wil not be restored. The islands take a long time to recover as there is no man power, supplies, materials, and heavy equipment. Everything has to be shipped in. In St Thomas we have US military doing the restoration work.

At least St Thomas and St Martin governments are functional, organized, and getting things done. That cannot be said for Puerto Rico where the government is completely incompetent. My heart goes out to the people in Puerto Rico. I seriously think Puerto Rico government will collapse.

Anyway back in TX for a few days cleaning up and celebrating my birthday with family and friends.
    MSEE, PE
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Welcome back. Enjoy the R & R.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Welcome back. Glad you didn't get wiped out yourself during the restoration of those grids.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Hey SE how hard did you get hit. I was going to look you up when I was in Orlando, then got caught and had to go to St Thomas. If I recall Tampa/Clearwater was not that bad.Anyway I may be going back to TX coast to finish up. Right now at the ole casa in Prosper with my Son and his family enjoying doing NOTHING. OU/TX game last Saturday at the Cotton Bowl did me in. At least OU won, barely.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• AzRoute66
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2017

Welcome back. Nobody has called me a double dumb ass in weeks. sensij tries, but he is so nice about it that it just isn't the same. Happy Birthday as well.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
            Welcome back. Enjoy the R & R.
            THX, I intend to do nothing. I am good at it.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AzRoute66
              Welcome back. Nobody has called me a double dumb ass in weeks. sensij tries, but he is so nice about it that it just isn't the same. Happy Birthday as well.
              Thank you Sir, I appreciate it. I hate turning 61. Oh well still healthy and good looking enough to be shot by a 20 something jealous husband or open a fresh can of whoopass if he misses.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                Hey SE how hard did you get hit. I was going to look you up when I was in Orlando, then got caught and had to go to St Thomas. If I recall Tampa/Clearwater was not that bad.Anyway I may be going back to TX coast to finish up. Right now at the ole casa in Prosper with my Son and his family enjoying doing NOTHING. OU/TX game last Saturday at the Cotton Bowl did me in. At least OU won, barely.
                We were very lucky Irma had downgraded to about a CAT 1 when it blew by us. We had very little tree damage and nothing bad happened to the house except for having a 36 hour power outage.

I had a full house with my wife, daughter, son & daughter & their two kids, a friend of my wife and myself but I used a portable generator which kept the fridge cold and TV's on so everyone was somewhat happy.

If you happen to be in the area I will still be in and around Clearwater for the next few months getting this house cleaned up and hopefully sold. My new home is up in Brooksville and is just about done except for the water well and POCO power feed. The schedule for completion is early November.

Comment

• Matrix
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Oct 2017

This is a fantastic read. So awesome you were able to do that and help some many needed people. The need is truly overwhelming. We have raised over $4k for relief so far.
                  285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

glad you made it back. I got a new shoulder for my birthday, have to wait a while for it to attach. hunt & peck left handed. recovering now.
                    20171017_171748.png

now the relaxing starts. for the first week, i'm staying in san francisco and will have cable tv & fresh batteries in the remote

20171019_074913.png
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

[QUOTE=Mike90250;n364652]glad you made it back. I got a new shoulder for my birthday, have to wait a while for it to attach. hunt & peck left handed. recovering now.

So, does it only hurt when you type?

2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
                        glad you made it back. I got a new shoulder for my birthday, have to wait a while for it to attach. hunt & peck left handed. recovering now.

now the relaxing starts. for the first week, i'm staying in san francisco and will have cable tv & fresh batteries in the remote
                        Stay safe Mike and enjoy living on grid until you get better.

Comment

• sdold
                          • Jun 2014

Mike, hope the recovery goes well, at least you have a comfortable setup and the fridge isn't too far.
                          Dereck, thanks for the write up, it sounds like you did a lot of good for a lot of folks and are getting a well deserved rest.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
                            glad you made it back. I got a new shoulder for my birthday,
                            Well crap Mike I am real sorry to hear that. I just had a PIA, no new body parts. Try this ole friend, worked for me when I had Arthritis.

Hold on to a cold aluminum can at all times. Not sure why it works, but after about an hour, the pain goes away and you can laugh again. Funny thing is and I cannot figure it out, but my arthritis went away when I quit drinking and smoking 20 years ago. Life has never been the same since. Where did the fun go!

Get well soon my friend. Or else I will come out to Cartoon Land of San Fran and rip a body part off of you.

SK
                            Last edited by Sunking; 10-20-2017, 09:54 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• solar pete
                              Administrator
                              • May 2014

Happy birthday SK and thanks for doing what you do, you really do get around this little old world.

Hope your feeling better soon Mike, i can sort of relate a bit I think, I went ass over head into the cardboard bin a couple weeks back landed on my shoulder its been sore since but it's gettin better after some physio, cheers all

Comment

Working...