Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEOH
    replied
    Originally posted by thesender
    Well i tried it and nothing went pop so thanks again for the info.
    Does anyone have any reccomendations for the best type of charger to use so that i dont ruin the batteries ??

The only issue that I can think of ...
    Purchase a Battery Charger that supports your exact type of battery: Sealed AGM vs Flooded Lead Acid
    The parameters for proper 3-Stage Charging are slightly different.

Since the generator is very expensive to operate,
    I assume it will be used mostly for Bulk Mode charging and maybe some Absorb, but not Float.

I would purchase the largest (amps) charger the generator and battery bank can support to get the batteries "bulked-up", ASAP.

Also, install more PV Panels ...
    Point some East ( 30 or 45 or 60 degrees )
    Point some West ( 30 or 45 or 60 degrees )
    per your tree tops.
    This will increase the TIME available to recharge your battery bank.
    Lead Acid batteries need many hours to Bulk - Absorb - Float..

East & West Array!
    Last edited by NEOH; 10-12-2017, 08:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thesender
    replied
    Anyway this is all moot now as i tried it and it appears to be fine, if anyone does have any reasons why i shouldnt do this please let me know and why im willing to to learn if people are willing to teach.

Leave a comment:

• thesender
    replied
    Ok my apologies im sorry you took offence max2k. I didnt think there was much more info i could have added the information i appear to have left out was no mains available i had stated number of panels controllers types and battery type also location, if you are willing to list what further info i should of provide i will be happy to provide it. My main concern was if i have a battery charger connected to my batterys and turned it on whilst the batterys were still connected to charge controllers and panels was that it would cause damage to anything, which i did state in my first post.And for my second question again what further information could i provide i had stated types of batteries in first post and asked for a recommendation of type of charger, which i did recieve a reasonable response from the Moderator thank you SunEagle, the other answer i recieved was pointless and unhelpful in anyway thus deserved of my response. I was being no more inflamatory in my response than providing an inane one.This is in no way anything to cause a verbal battle over it is not my intenent to upset community members, as i have already stated im new to all of this and the research i had done (limited that it is because i have to travel 7 miles to get internet access) had not yeilded a satisfying answer thus my questions.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Does anyone have any reccomendations for the best type of charger to use so that i dont ruin the batteries ??
    I would not get a standard car battery charger (like a Schumacher which I own). There are better ones (like from Optima or IOTA) that are better but they do cost a lot more.

Leave a comment:

• max2k
    replied
    ho ho ho you should be on the stage. The battery charger wlll be run from a small diesel generator if i had a constant supply i wouldnt be pi$$ing about with panels now would I. Some of us don't have the money to buy huge arrays of panels and batteries and have to cut our cloth to suit our needs.
    It would help if you stated your problem / plans more clearly. Given info you provided you got correct response, I don't really see why you went up the wall over it. If you have problems understanding response- ask for details and someone most likely will provide them.

Switching to 'war mode' just drives away people who could actually help you out. Put yourself in their shoes: why someone with decades of electrical experience would be willing to spend their free time on someone else problems without compensation and getting insulted in return?

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    if i had a constant supply i wouldnt be pi$$ing about with panels now would I.
    You mean like folks who have grid tied arrays of a kW or two ?
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-08-2017, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thesender
    replied
    ho ho ho you should be on the stage. The battery charger wlll be run from a small diesel generator if i had a constant supply i wouldnt be pi$$ing about with panels now would I. Some of us don't have the money to buy huge arrays of panels and batteries and have to cut our cloth to suit our needs.

Leave a comment:

• Logan5
    replied
    Yes, one that plugs into an AC outlet and is always on a stiff source of alternating current.

Leave a comment:

• thesender
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thesender
    replied
    Ok thanks for the answer, i will give it a try and see if anything goes pop and let you know.

Leave a comment:

• NEOH
    replied
    Most likely, yes you can.

Leave a comment:

• thesender
    started a topic Battery chargers and stuff

Battery chargers and stuff

Hi all
    Well im new to all this so as this is my first post here please be gentle

OK silly question time but first some info about what i have.

I have 8 180W PV connected to 2 30A PWM charge controllers which are inturn connected to 4 170Ah Lead Crystal Batteries.
    All well and good i hear you cry but whats the silly question (dont worry its coming), I live in the not so sunny Scotland so in the deep dark of winter there are going to be times when the batteries aint going to be getting a good charge.

So the question is can i connect a battery charger to the batteries and put them on charge without disconecting the PV's/charge controllers ?

Cheers help welcome
Working...