X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BackwoodsEE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

The Economics of Electric Vehicles: No surprise to PV+battery users

This Bloomberg article (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...burns-billions) is quite eye-opening: Nobody is actually making money selling electric vehicles.

It's all about the batteries. There is no imminent solution to the seemingly intractable problem of energy storage. We will continue to fill our garages and plastic deck boxes full of sulphuric acid and lead, or increasingly scarce lithium, spending loads of cash installing and then soon replacing our heavy, bulky chemical storage devices.

I was hoping that had changed when I checked into solar again after close to ten years of doing other things and paying no attention to it. But, no, I have a thousand pounds of lead sitting outside and will be replacing it in seven years tops, almost certainly with more lead.
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

That article is pathetic. Marchionne is always good for an EV-bashing quote (the loss in 2013 was $10k per car, now it is $20k?), and Tesla is easy to kick around. The only eye-opening thing is that people continue to consume garbage press like this (or the equally useless green economics based fluff that paints the story the opposite way). I'm closing the thread, please don't post junk. There are much more genuine investigations and projections on the economics of EV's, neither as rosy or as bleak as what these click-bait articles like to portray.
    Last edited by sensij; 10-03-2017, 06:56 PM.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I guess one good thing about EV's is that within a couple of years there will be dozens of manufacturers building them instead of the half dozen right now.

Hopefully the cost of owning one will become much easier for the standard Joe or Jane.

Comment

Working...