X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
    Scaling up does not work for every type of technology. But maybe something will come of those experiments.
    Agreed. Might work out, they might discover the hidden flaw in the system that means it's not scaleable. Either way, good to know.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by max2k
      Given some funding I can prove you the opposite which will be just as far from reality.
      I don't buy the "you can prove anything scientifically if you spend enough money" argument. Science doesn't work like that, and bad models are easily (and regularly) disproved no matter how much you spend on them.

Comment

• max2k
        • May 2015

Originally posted by jflorey2
        I don't buy the "you can prove anything scientifically if you spend enough money" argument. Science doesn't work like that, and bad models are easily (and regularly) disproved no matter how much you spend on them.
        I didn't say scientifically and I don't necessarily agree the bad models are easily disproved. The fact you might see it often could simply mean too many of bad models are created. I think global warming hype should serve as good proof of my case.

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

I didn't say scientifically and I don't necessarily agree the bad models are easily disproved. The fact you might see it often could simply mean too many of bad models are created. I think global warming hype should serve as good proof of my case.
          Given that the actual warming is closely following the climate models first created back in 1990, that's probably not a good example.

Comment

• max2k
            • May 2015

Originally posted by jflorey2
            Given that the actual warming is closely following the climate models first created back in 1990, that's probably not a good example.
            I thought reality started deviating to the cooler side so to solve this issue for the future the spin was updated to 'climate change' . I think change in the name reflects reliability of the approach and 'flexibility' it allows in interpretation.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Ok folks. I do not want another thread to drift into the two sided argument concerning climate change.

There are members on this forum that each have a strong feeling about the topic and as far as I am concerned there is nothing anyone can post that will convince one side to believe in the others.

Comment

• DanKegel
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

*scratches head*

I just wanted to talk about net metering.

Comment

• DanKegel
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

Dan we've been through this before- are you just bored since you're suddenly mixing up $ with ppms?
                  ? I'm not mixing them up.

To recap: the paper claimed "Results show that the health costs from particulate matter (PM) emitted by drayage trucks exceeded 440 million dollars in 2005. However, these costs decreased by 36%, 90%, and 96% after accounting for the requirements of the 2008, 2010, and 2012 CTP deadlines."

Max asked whether that 96% cost decrease was realistic.

That would require a large decrease in PM emissions from port trucks, right?

Well, the new port trucks are in fact much cleaner (they had a lot of really old trucks before, without PM emissions controls);
                  The paper's table 2 shows that PM emissions went down by 96.8%.

If PM emissions have gone down by 96%, it kinda does seem reasonable for health costs from those PM emissions to also go down 96%, doesn't it?

Maybe Max thought they were talking about overall health costs rather than health costs from particulate matter pollution?

(I expect, and will ignore, attacks from several people in response to this. I don't know why, but any post related to science seems to really tick some people off.)

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by DanKegel
                    If PM emissions have gone down by 96%, it kinda does seem reasonable for health costs from those PM emissions to also go down 96%, doesn't it?
                    The 96% tracking 96% health vs emissions is so close, it's uncanny. Which makes me think it's rigged in some way. Medical stuff has "hockey stick" response curves usually, not so linear.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sensij
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2014

I've closed the thread. I'd like to thank Dan for drawing attention to the change in Nevada's policy... a lot of digital ink is spilled in the forum trying to understand and interpret the regulations relating to net metering, and I think a significant shift in Nevada's approach is worth sharing. The discussion quickly went off-topic, so further conversation about Nevada's net metering probably warrants a new thread at this point, if there are specific details worth examining.
                      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...