Total Solar Eclipse 08/21/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Solar Eclipse 08/21/17

Around here there is a lot of excitement going on for the coming eclipse. I live about 35 miles north of Hopkinsville, KY(about 3 miles north of totality), which is being hailed as the best place in the entire country to view it. Due to the size of the expected crowds, the local EMS agencies are telling people to treat Eclipse day as a planned natural disaster. Concerts and tons of other entertainment are planned for the 3 day weekend. They are expecting traffic jams, empty store shelves, overloaded cell systems, etc.....I even got an email from SolarEdge wanting people to post photos and portal screenshots of the event for a chance to win a gift card.

Any big plans where you're at? Anyone travelling to see it?

Here is a map that shows the path and what to expect where you are.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/d...map/index.html

Greg

The conspiracy theory people are warning that while everyone is looking up at the eclipse there will be others doing something not legal or worse.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable eclipse day. It should be something to see if you live close to the totality line.

Comment

I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist, but I did work with a guy that claimed the earth is flat and the government wants us to think it's round.

I will probably go down to my MIL's house. Where she is it will be 100% total for 2 minutes and 23 seconds. At my house, it will be 99.96% total.

Comment

Originally posted by GRickard View Post
        I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist, but I did work with a guy that claimed the earth is flat and the government wants us to think it's round.

I will probably go down to my MIL's house. Where she is it will be 100% total for 2 minutes and 23 seconds. At my house, it will be 99.96% total.
        Is that corrected for atmospheric parallax ?

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
          The conspiracy theory people are warning that while everyone is looking up at the eclipse there will be others doing something not legal or worse.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable eclipse day. It should be something to see if you live close to the totality line.
          The conspiracy theorist I use and rely on heavily for all my reality checks claims looking at the sun will make Mickey & the Twins glow in the dark.

Comment

It is obviously a plot. It would be difficult to find a line from East Coast to West Coast with a less populated path. Something MUST be up.

Comment

In Oregon, the main highways to good viewing areas have been backed-up traffic jammed since yesterday (Thurs). Im debating on pulling my kid out, I mean scheduling a sickness for an hour on Monday to see it. All the elem schools are disallowing kids from going outside during any portion of it, due to the risk and liability, even with the free nasa approved glasses they have and the supervision. Just takes one kid to disobey and say "watch what I can do".

Comment

Around here all of the schools are out for the day. Same reason, liability fears..

Comment

In a forum such as this, I would expect some plots of a solar panel's (or MPPT algorithm) perspective on the eclipse.

Comment

I'll have a plot of the daily battery voltage curve, it will show a dip during the morning eclipse.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The conspiracy theorist I use and rely on heavily for all my reality checks claims looking at the sun will make Mickey & the Twins glow in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post
                        In a forum such as this, I would expect some plots of a solar panel's (or MPPT algorithm) perspective on the eclipse.
                        The morning fog may be lifting by event beginning time for me. I monitor GHI on 1 minute intervals with a Davis Pro II plus. It'll be interesting to see how the GHI will be affected as well as the PV array's output.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

The morning fog may be lifting by event beginning time for me. I monitor GHI on 1 minute intervals with a Davis Pro II plus. It'll be interesting to see how the GHI will be affected as well as the PV array's output.
                          This might give you more of a national perspective: https://www3.solaredge.com/us/pveclipsetracking
                          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

This might give you more of a national perspective: https://www3.solaredge.com/us/pveclipsetracking
                            Is that map going to be live or only show historical data?

Comment

Is that map going to be live or only show historical data?
                              it is actually live now showing the sunrise running across the nation. I wish it was like this all the time it is kind of nice to see the sunrise on it.
                              storms blowing across would be interesting as well.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
                              X