Panel to battery controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel to battery controller

Since each installed panel puts out unique voltage and current; does it make sense to assign one battery controller to each panel?

Generally, no. Please write more about your system.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Just trying to learn.
      kind of parallel thinking to micro inverter applications....dirt, temp, shadowing etc.

Comment

Any more responses would be appreciated

Comment

Microinverter applications can sort of make sense when you have longish strings in parallel, typical for larger grid tie systems. For battery systems, generally you are looking at only a few panels in series or parallel, and the bypass diodes do a good enough job at dealing with partial shade that comes along. The problem is that even mppt optimized shade, etc is still a problem better managed in design by avoiding it (or with fouling / temp at least keeping it uniform across the array).

There are exceptions, of course, so please write more about what you are considering.

Comment

So if I have 2 panels in parallel, suppose one puts out 2 volts more than the other (shade, dirt, diode did diifences, etc.) Then the higher voltage would back bias the diode in the lessor panel. This would effectively disconnect the panel from the system. The system output would be limited to 1 panel.
            With 2 regulators each panel would still independently contribute to the battery charge voltage and amperage. That is the root of my question.

Comment

Originally posted by bknesal View Post
              So if I have 2 panels in parallel, suppose one puts out 2 volts more than the other (shade, dirt, diode did diifences, etc.) Then the higher voltage would back bias the diode in the lessor panel. This would effectively disconnect the panel from the system. The system output would be limited to 1 panel.
              With 2 regulators each panel would still independently contribute to the battery charge voltage and amperage. That is the root of my question.
              Panels in parallel will operate at the same voltage, it isn't possible for one to back bias the other. That can only happen in series.

If you have two panels in parallel, one with a Vmp is that is 2 V higher than the other (let's assume we are talking 12 V panels, with a Vmp of 18 V), it just means that neither panel will end up operating at its maximum power point, but will be close enough to it that the net loss should be on the order of a few percent.

Comment

Thank you that is what I was wondering

Comment

Working...
                X