Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lavarock7
    • Jul 2017

MY Project in Hawaii

I am starting a solar project on my farm in Hawaii. I helped fund a Kickstarter campaign for Legion Solar and purchased 2kw of panels with micro inverters and a solar hub to monitor performance. Total investment so far is $3100 including delivery.

Hawaii has very expensive electric and I am not expecting to go completely off the grid, just reduce costs. We can lose power anywhere from a few minutes to many hours. One time after a storm we lost power for a couple days while crews came to fix a transformer for a few houses.

The micro inverters are awaiting UL1741 certification, however I am not at this time interested in supplying any power to the grid. The power company has numerous requirements which I prefer not to perform at this time. The system is plug-n-play and could be plugged into an outlet or wired into the service panel. I worked for an electrician so have background in wiring. I can do much of the work and have my electrician neighbor inspect it and ensure it is to code.

Since I have a farm, I can mount the panels at ground level and not have to roof mount them. This makes it a fully customer install-able system. I then plan upon having the panels feed one input to a transfer switch. The other input of the transfer switch would be power from a breaker from my panel. The switch would be controlled by a cheap micro computer or circuit I design. It would determine if the power drops off from the panels for any amount of time (heavy clouds or night) and switch the input to the utility and away from the panels.

I know you are thinking, that is fine BUT there will be times of no power to your load and that does not work well with computers, etc. I have that covered. The output of the transfer switch will be a UPS. The UPS will feed the computer, etc. So for the second to minutes it takes for the system to determine the panels are not coming back on line, the UPS keeps the load running with no glitches. I already have UPSs online to protect the TV and computers from surges and are $100 each, so the cost is not much compared to solar batteries, etc.

I also have a gas/propane generator in case of lengthy outage or hurricane so I think I am covered there too.

The system I got, twenty 100watt panels, with microinverters and a hub to monitor power from the panels. I think the savings from not having to roof mount anything, not having to comply with net-metering requirements here and not having to invest in costly batteries will help me save some money. My total electric cost per year has been about $1800 a year. That is for minimal usage of refrigerator, electric hot water, occasional oven use and drier, lights and TV, etc. That does not include heating or cooling which we don't really need here (we use a thing called windows to regulate temperature). Even during the 'winter' we can go outside in shorts an t-shirt (I know it is a horrible habit).

For those wondering, my total electric bill this month was $146.28 and including all taxes and fees covered usage of 442 KWH (I calculate that as 33 cents/KWH)

Anyway, I'd appreciate comments or suggestions to my plan. The panels are shipping soon.
  • NEOH
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2010

What is the Make & Model of these non-certified, plug-and-play micro-inverters?
    Can your micro-inverters really create 60 Hz 120/240 AC power, independently of the Island's Grid?
    How many times per day will the Solar Power drop-out and then come back due clouds?
    You use 14 KWH (avg) per day, what is the NET KWH production from the PV Array per day?
    Do you plan to run your entire home or just specific appliances from the 2,000 watt PV array?
    Devices like refrigerators can have a starting surge, many times higher than the running amps.
    How are you going to balance the changing watts needed for the loads vs changing watts produced from the PV Array?
    It sounds like you have plan, and you have already purchased the components, what is your question?
    Last edited by NEOH; 07-03-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Lavarock7
      • Jul 2017

Yes, I have ordered the items but they have not shipped yet. Yes the inverters are undergoing certification now and can generate either 120 or 240 volt. They are not switchable and I ordered 120 volt units. I can't really say yet how well the system will work based upon dropouts in sun here. We used to have clrear skies but now with the volcano acting up, don't get as much. I have a weather station now and it shows dropouts. I may have to plug the inverters into the house wiring instead of the UPSs. Plug and play is how te company says they can be wired. I have not verified which electric meter I have as I was not going to do net metering.

I plan upon using solar for auxiliary power (lighting, and farm use) but do not plan upon running the house completely on solar. This is more of a project to try solar and see how well it works for me. That is the main reason I did not jump in with more panels and batteries.

I don't have any specific questions except to talk about what I hope to do and see gather other views about options I might consider.

The specs on the microinverters are at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-independence

PLX LS_2601 There will be 1 for every 2 panels.

Last edited by Lavarock7; 07-03-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Lavarock7

The specs on the microinverters are at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-independence

PLX LS_2601 There will be 1 for every 2 panels.
        You are putting a lot of faith in an unproven, as yet not legal product. IF they get a UL listing, which is questionable for a plug and play grid tie, it could take years, I also question any new technology that would use 100 watt, 12 volt modules. Slick looking ad asking for donations, huh??
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

IMO that product will take a long time to get a UL listing. Selling that equipment can result in a dangerous citation that may get someone that is not electrical knowledgeable hurt.

The sad fact is that without the correct hardware and programming a solar inverter can't legally produce a lot of power and utilize 100% of a solar panel system without a grid connection.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by littleharbor

You are putting a lot of faith in an unproven, as yet not legal product. IF they get a UL listing, which is questionable for a plug and play grid tie, it could take years, I also question any new technology that would use 100 watt, 12 volt modules. Slick looking ad asking for donations, huh??
            Kickstarter == internet panhandling. What a ripoff. I suppose there is still a sucker born every minute.

Comment

• NEOH
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2010

Since I have a farm, I can mount the panels at ground level and not have to roof mount them. This makes it a fully customer install-able system. I then plan upon having the panels feed one input to a transfer switch. The other input of the transfer switch would be power from a breaker from my panel. The switch would be controlled by a cheap micro computer or circuit I design. It would determine if the power drops off from the panels for any amount of time (heavy clouds or night) and switch the input to the utility and away from the panels.
              So, you plan on using a Transfer Switch?
              Nope, that is not going to happen because these are GTI micro-inverters.

Did you read the website?

"...
              Question: If my power goes out, can Legion Solar still provide power to my home?
              Answer: No, Legion solar generates electricity only when there is grid power present.
              ..."

I can do much of the work and have my electrician neighbor inspect it and ensure it is to code.
              Ask your neighbor if it is "code" to plug a GTI into an AC outlet.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Yes electricity is expensive in Hawaii. But buying it from the POCO is still a lot less expensive than a battery system. So do not fool yourself, you will be spending many times more using battery power. Electricity is expensive because of shipping cost like everything in Hawaii. You pay twice what we do on th emain land for electricity. But guess what? Battery cost are twice what we pay on the mainland. No battery system can compete with POCO.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...