"Hot town, summer in the city back of my neck getting dirty and gritty..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hot town, summer in the city back of my neck getting dirty and gritty..."

Spring went out with a bang here in Phoenix yesterday!

20170620_152231 red.jpg

Yikes!

Connecting in Phoenix tomorrow on my way home. Hope the A/C is working in the terminals
    8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

But its a dry heat!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA View Post
        Yikes!

Connecting in Phoenix tomorrow on my way home. Hope the A/C is working in the terminals
        Hope your plane doesn't get heat grounded. Or the roads don't get buckled. Lol

Comment

Excuse me for yawning when it's a few degrees hotter than it gets pretty much every single summer here.

116-118F is not unusual. News media makes it seem like the world is ending and is posting all of these extreme heat warnings with suggestions people take half days off work. Really? Later in the same newscast I see reports about a children's baseball tournaments game being held at 4 PM in the afternoon. I also saw a story about a high school band practicing drills outside.

After it reaches 110 you drive wearing Ove'Gloves or move north, just like every single summer in Phoenix.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post
            Excuse me for yawning when it's a few degrees hotter than it gets pretty much every single summer here.

116-118F is not unusual. News media makes it seem like the world is ending and is posting all of these extreme heat
            warnings with suggestions people take half days off work. Really?
            Those temps are a lot easier to take, when the humidity isn't above 60% all the time, like here. The news is
            so anxious to waste my time talking about chill factor (I been there, alright?), but they haven't figured out the
            humidity thing yet. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Those temps are a lot easier to take, when the humidity isn't above 60% all the time, like here. The news is
              so anxious to waste my time talking about chill factor (I been there, alright?), but they haven't figured out the
              humidity thing yet. Bruce Roe
              Easier is a relative term. I lived in a similar climate to Phoenix for several years. Loved it. But, once it gets past 100 F. or so, it's just plain hot. Higher dew points make things more oppressive, but 105 F. is a cooker even w/low dew points, although personally, 105 F. w/a 20F dew point seems cooler to me than, say, 90 F. w/a 60 F. dew point.

I guess it's all relative - just like humidity.

Comment

I guess living in the sunniest part of the country may help solar production but the side affect from the heat is hard to determine which side came out ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                  I guess living in the sunniest part of the country may help solar production but the side affect from the heat is hard to determine which side came out ahead.
                  You want a pretty near perfect solar climate, move to New Mexico, particularly the central/northern parts. Prettiest place I ever lived, bar none. Kind of warm/hot summers, but not like Phoenix/low deserts, with some monsoon rains. Winter's the dry season, with moderate daytime temps. ~ 50 F. or so and maybe 10 " +/- snow/yr. A lot of the land ~ 1+ mile above sea level, making for clear sky irradiance ~ 5 -7 % more intense than at seal level. Many/most winter days, which are for the most part, cloudless, visibility is > 100 miles. I lived in Albuquerque for several years and I lived high enough above the surrounding terrain that many winter days I could see Alamogordo, ~ 200 + miles away to the south. I could also see the Santa Fe, airport control tower about 70+ miles to the north.

Just get used to living in what can be similar to a 3d world country at times.

Pay your money, take your choice. I'm in CA, and I'm stayin', even if it is the land of fruits & nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

You want a pretty near perfect solar climate, move to New Mexico, particularly the central/northern parts. Prettiest place I ever lived, bar none. Kind of warm/hot summers, but not like Phoenix/low deserts, with some monsoon rains. Winter's the dry season, with moderate daytime temps. ~ 50 F. or so and maybe 10 " +/- snow/yr. A lot of the land ~ 1+ mile above sea level, making for clear sky irradiance ~ 5 -7 % more intense than at seal level. Many/most winter days, which are for the most part, cloudless, visibility is > 100 miles. I lived in Albuquerque for several years and I lived high enough above the surrounding terrain that many winter days I could see Alamogordo, ~ 200 + miles away to the south. I could also see the Santa Fe, airport control tower about 70+ miles to the north.

Just get used to living in what can be similar to a 3d world country at times.

Pay your money, take your choice. I'm in CA, and I'm stayin', even if it is the land of fruits & nuts.
                    It actually sounds pretty nice in NM. Although like you I have decided to stay in the state where I currently live even with it's chance of hurricanes and sea level rise.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

It actually sounds pretty nice in NM. Although like you I have decided to stay in the state where I currently live even with it's chance of hurricanes and sea level rise.
                      Albuquerque NM: The original home of the guy who created Bevis and Butthead. He had a lot of material to take/work with as examples. It's not like the rest of the U.S., or anywhere else for that matter. Works for those who stay. I loved the climate and scenery, but I didn't fit. My problem, not theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Albuquerque NM: The original home of the guy who created Bevis and Butthead. He had a lot of material to take/work with as examples. It's not like the rest of the U.S., or anywhere else for that matter. Works for those who stay. I loved the climate and scenery, but I didn't fit. My problem, not theirs.
                        Well I have been to Roswell NM a few times and I will say it is hot, dry and full of aliens.

Comment

Meanwhile, I sit here in green and beautiful but mostly cloudy Washington State and wonder why I ever got bit with the solar bug. Oh, and trees. Lots of tall trees casting their long shadows a long ways off on the rare clear days in December when the sun's azimuth peaks at around 18 degrees above the horizon.

Why couldn't I have stuck with chess or Python programming instead?

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodsEE View Post
                            Meanwhile, I sit here in green and beautiful but mostly cloudy Washington State and wonder why I ever got bit with the solar bug. Oh, and trees. Lots of tall trees casting their long shadows a long ways off on the rare clear days in December when the sun's azimuth peaks at around 18 degrees above the horizon.

Why couldn't I have stuck with chess or Python programming instead?
                            I think you might mean solar elevation angle rather than azimuth angle.

Anyway, I was in a similar situation in Buffalo with nice but way too short summers and the rest of the year, along with the rest of the area on a war footing a war mentality about the weather, trying to figure out how to stay warm in the winter and not go broke doing it and keep my sanity with a bunker mentality against the sunless winter weather. I moved. Life is full of choices. I traded less contact w/ some of the nicest folks in the world for about the best weather in the word. I visit friends there in the summer. They fill up my house in the winter. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 07-01-2017, 12:21 PM. Reason: Added comment RE: elevation angle.

Comment

Working...
                            X