X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Probably more than just young folks, but they're easier to recognize. Since they don't seem to see a need to do any computations now - just get manipulated by results they generally don't understand - I'm not sure what a power outage would do to the recognition of computational needs as much as it would lead to complete bewilderment from a lack of being told what to do and how to think.

Like most everything else in life: Use it or lose it. Palm zombies are one rather obvious result. We're well on the way to becoming a nation of morons. Used to be there was math phobia. That's gone. Hard to fear what you don't know exists.
    IMO most palm zombies do not keep track of their devices battery level. A long power outage will find many with a lump of plastic in their hand that does nothing and results in total confusion.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

IMO most palm zombies do not keep track of their devices battery level. A long power outage will find many with a lump of plastic in their hand that does nothing and results in total confusion.
      Like the confusion with respect to most everything else they're clueless about because it won't directly affect them in the next 5 minutes.

How's this: Stationary bicycles as battery chargers. Once the mental slugs figure out their devices need fresh batteries and the grid is dead, perhaps the need for a communication fix could be used to get them to lose a few pounds by pedaling. A few might even be less morbidly obese as a result. Win/win. I see a lot of underused bikes at the gym every day that could be easily retrofitted, but not many fat people.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

When I went to HS mandatory classes were Physic and Chemistry 101, Algebra 1, Geometry, and Trig. You could not graduate without a passing grade. For students preparing for college we had elective classes for out Jr and Sr year consisting of College Algebra II, College Algebra, Differential Calculus, Chemistry II, and several college level Physics. None of that is required today.

Only K-12 I know of today who offer a good education is private schools and home schooled. No tablets, laptops, or cell phones allowed.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
          When I went to HS mandatory classes were Physic and Chemistry 101, Algebra 1, Geometry, and Trig. You could not graduate without a passing grade. For students preparing for college we had elective classes for out Jr and Sr year consisting of College Algebra II, College Algebra, Differential Calculus, Chemistry II, and several college level Physics. None of that is required today.

Only K-12 I know of today who offer a good education is private schools and home schooled. No tablets, laptops, or cell phones allowed.
          Heck. I had to pass a slide rule exam to be allowed into the Engineering school at Delaware. And those K&E log-log slide rules were not cheap back in 1971.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Heck. I had to pass a slide rule exam to be allowed into the Engineering school at Delaware. And those K&E log-log slide rules were not cheap back in 1971.
            Yep if I remember back in 70's they were some $30. I was reimbursed by ROTC, but it hurt.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Yea, similar grammar/H.S. background compliments of the same folks who brought you the Spanish Inquisition: The Jesuits. Hated every second of it. Seemed like prison at the time. Only learned how fortunate I was years later and religion had naught to do with it.

On home schooling: I'd respectfully disagree on the value of home schooling as I think it's commonly understood these days. From what I see out of more than a few parents these days, and for a lot of other reasons, including a lack of opportunity to develop socialization skills via exposure to folks of diverse backgrounds, I'm not real hopeful about the results of home schooling aside from what I'd expect from helicopter parents who are mostly as dumb as rocks, but mentally lazier, turning out snowflakes as uselessly full of themselves as their parents, but with fewer critical thinking skills (if that's possible) and less appreciation for the value of, or ways to acquire knowledge, or even understand what constitutes knowledge itself.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                On home schooling: I'd respectfully disagree on the value of home schooling as I think it's commonly understood these days. From what I see out of more than a few parents these days, and for a lot of other reasons, including a lack of opportunity to develop socialization skills via exposure to folks of diverse backgrounds,
                No argument on the socialization skills. However today new schools have opened for Millennials. You know what I am talking about right? They are called Adulting Schools to teach Millennials how to interact with people,balance a check book, make a shopping list, balance a check book, and how to take care of oneself. 30 year old and younger today are dumber than a barrel of monkeys. Between the education system and cell phones, all hope is lost.

I even had to bust my Son a few weeks ago. Wifey and I come up for a visit. Stayed with my Son at his house. We get there and within an hour both him and his wife were staring at their Cell Phones. Wife and I got up. grabbed our bags and left. Son did not notice for 20 minutes before he called and asked where we went. Told him we were going back to the airport and catch the next plane home. He and his wife got a rude awakening. I did not come over to watch them text each other. Hung up on the boy and waited two weeks to answer his phone calls and never returned a text. He will never make that mistake again or else.
                Last edited by Sunking; 05-31-2017, 03:43 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

No argument on the socialization skills. However today new schools have opened for Millennials. You know what I am talking about right? They are called Adulting Schools to teach Millennials how to interact with people,balance a check book, make a shopping list, balance a check book, and how to take care of oneself. 30 year old and younger today are dumber than a barrel of monkeys. Between the education system and cell phones, all hope is lost.

I even had to bust my Son a few weeks ago. Wifey and I come up for a visit. Stayed with my Son at his house. We get there and within an hour both him and his wife were staring at their Cell Phones. Wife and I got up. grabbed our bags and left. Son did not notice for 20 minutes before he called and asked where we went. Told him we were going back to the airport and catch the next plane home. He and his wife got a rude awakening. I did not come over to watch them text each other. Hung up on the boy and waited two weeks to answer his phone calls and never returned a text. He will never make that mistake again or else.
                  Yea, adult schooling - that's the kind of schooling needed after and as a result of home schooling. Or, remedial schooling needed between H.S. and further formal education (if it can even be called education) that teaches students the 3 R's. Shows you what whores higher education has become that they need to lower their standards and make what were once well respected and effective colleges and universities into no more than diploma mills puking out product that can't compete.

On your other matter, NOMB, but there seems to be something in the idea of the worth and effectiveness of tough love that's been lost through lack of practicing it.

Comment

• RiFl
                    • Jun 2017

Simple prices will go up artificially and that will lower sales. The USA cannot compete with Chi-Coms. In the USA Wages, Corporate taxes, are to high, OSHA and EPA regulations are to strict.
                    Americans should move to China or hope that the Chinese government will replace the American government?

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by RiFl

Americans should move to China or hope that the Chinese government will replace the American government?
                      Why move to China. Looks like they are purchasing a lot of US property here in the states.

Heck even Panama now has China to support them it since they dropped their relationship with Taiwan.

Comment

• RiFl
                        • Jun 2017

Why move to China. Looks like they are purchasing a lot of US property here in the states.

Heck even Panama now has China to support them it since they dropped their relationship with Taiwan.
                        No one can have it both ways. We can have cleaner air, water, and food
                        Last edited by RiFl; 06-20-2017, 03:44 PM. Reason: Post was cut off after less than two sentences. Editing isn't working.

Comment

Working...