Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somebody want to talk me thru or out of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody want to talk me thru or out of this?

The situation is we are planning/building our retirement home. We have bought a few acres, an old house that is occupied and will remain rented, well and septic. The plan is to build a "shop", and live in a camper. The shop will get a bathroom/Kitchen at some point. I can retire in 3 years, wife has 10 more till full retirement, but may go early and then this will just become a drop in spot/storage area as we take off and travel. So I get the bright idea of solar setup for the camper, why not carry it on over to the shop to?
    I'm thinking of 12 volt LED lighting and appliances in the shop, some 110 circuit's for other items, like building a chest refrigerator. 24 volt battery bank, pure sine wave inverter,
    Got an old 6x12 trailer for a panel mount base so I can adjust for seasonal changes, on a ridge top, so a wind turbine could also be added. We already have 2 generators, 5000K Onan from and old camper, and a 3100 champion inverter gen for backup as needed. Sound crazy or what?
    Kill-a-watt meter on its way to start figuring numbers....

See my response to your first post.

Take what you want. Leave the rest.

Comment

Batteries left unattended have a very poor survival rate. Take them with you on your travels. How
      about an RV extension cord from the house to the trailer? Bruce Roe

Comment

Have a pole and meter installed for the shop by the PoCo. forget batteries, forget off grid. If you still want solar have a grid tied system installed. If you plan for solar before you build, you can more precisely position your building to take advantage of the pitch of the roof. If you still insist on back up power get a generator.

Comment

JMP ...I did...thanks....
          Bcroe... theres 220 to the well on 10 ga wire, 55 ft hand dug well with a 3/4 HP submersible pump. Got some 8Ga wire and considering replacing the wire to the pump and add a small panel there to add a 30Amp receptacle for the camper. The big issue is there is only a 100 amp feed to the house to start.

Comment

Originally posted by yetavon View Post
            JMP ...I did...thanks....
            Bcroe... theres 220 to the well on 10 ga wire, 55 ft hand dug well with a 3/4 HP submersible pump. Got some 8Ga wire and considering replacing the wire to the pump and add a small panel there to add a 30Amp receptacle for the camper. The big issue is there is only a 100 amp feed to the house to start.
            You are most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan5 View Post
              Have a pole and meter installed for the shop by the PoCo..
              We had one there for the MH years ago....someone cut it down and took it....was quite ill when I discovered that....

Comment

Originally posted by yetavon View Post
                ....The big issue is there is only a 100 amp feed to the house to start.
                That's 10x more power than you would have with a moderately large PV setup.

Consider a medium solar setup to be about the same as a 5A utility feed.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                X