X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paris401
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2015

1st full season with panels

1've had 28 sunpower 335's for about 15months- I was told by the installer to change my anniversary date to march, which I did last march... just got a letter from pseg here on long island that I overproduced by 1500, and that they will credit my next bill for 44.31... 44.31... if I used 1500 I would be charged about 325 bucks, and they are paying me 44bucks... their payback is a joke...
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Yes probably buying your energy at the wholesale rate. This ignores the fact that your energy likely is
    used by your immediate neighbors, avoiding the transmission costs of sending it from the generating
    station. I don't even think about selling energy; the game is to use the PoCo as a free, zero maintenance,
    infinite capacity, 100% efficient battery, so my summer generated energy can eliminate my winter propane
    consumption. The PoCo also benefits by my somewhat reducing their peak loads and transmission losses.
    Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by paris401
      1've had 28 sunpower 335's for about 15months- I was told by the installer to change my anniversary date to march, which I did last march... just got a letter from pseg here on long island that I overproduced by 1500, and that they will credit my next bill for 44.31... 44.31... if I used 1500 I would be charged about 325 bucks, and they are paying me 44bucks... their payback is a joke...
      But, joke or not, they never misrepresented what they were going to pay you for overgeneration. Read the fine print. Caveat Emptor.

BTW, you would probably have gotten as much or more production per installed STC kW with other, less expensive panels and saved ~ $1/Watt less credits on the array as I'm sure I, and others, suggested over a yr. ago. Also looks like the array might have been smaller as well by about a kW or so and been more cost effective yet. Besides, and as your finding out a bit late, most of the idea is for PV to offset bills, not be a source of revenue.
      Last edited by J.P.M.; 04-30-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• azdave
        • Oct 2014

That's better than I expect to get for my excess. I knew going in I would only get wholesale at true-up time. My true-up is locked permanently at April 30th so just as I've built up a huge war chest for the summer A/C season I get my account zeroed. I'll receive an account credit for $50 to pay me for the 2200 kWh I had saved in the bank. I wish the true-up was late fall but that is not an option.
        Dave W. Gilbert AZ
        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• paris401
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by azdave
          That's better than I expect to get for my excess. I knew going in I would only get wholesale at true-up time. My true-up is locked permanently at April 30th so just as I've built up a huge war chest for the summer A/C season I get my account zeroed. I'll receive an account credit for $50 to pay me for the 2200 kWh I had saved in the bank. I wish the true-up was late fall but that is not an option.
          being on long island new York, my installer advised me to change the anniversary date to march, to take advantage of march/april/may and june when we are rarely at the house, and those are the best producing months... with 14tons of a/c, the excess of those months takes care of july and aug when the house is being used...

Comment

• paris401
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.

But, joke or not, they never misrepresented what they were going to pay you for overgeneration. Read the fine print. Caveat Emptor.

BTW, you would probably have gotten as much or more production per installed STC kW with other, less expensive panels and saved ~ $1/Watt less credits on the array as I'm sure I, and others, suggested over a yr. ago. Also looks like the array might have been smaller as well by about a kW or so and been more cost effective yet. Besides, and as your finding out a bit late, most of the idea is for PV to offset bills, not be a source of revenue.
            indeed there was no mis-rep on anyone's part... actually if I go back 2+ years , you were one of the one's advising me to read solar for dummies , n to look at alternative panels, as well as led the whole house...I think the reason we went with Sunpower was I installed '18' panels at my son's home (really small roof), and was happy wiith em, and the diff between lg's and sunpower panels weren't so great, tho no doubt I could have saved $$$ with lg/etc ..

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by paris401

indeed there was no mis-rep on anyone's part... actually if I go back 2+ years , you were one of the one's advising me to read solar for dummies , n to look at alternative panels, as well as led the whole house...I think the reason we went with Sunpower was I installed '18' panels at my son's home (really small roof), and was happy wiith em, and the diff between lg's and sunpower panels weren't so great, tho no doubt I could have saved $$$ with lg/etc ..
              Yes, I was, and I still do, and I'm probably among the more insistent, if not the most insistent of those arguing against Sunpower as a cost effective choice for solar panels.

I remember thinking at that time, as I read your posts, you were adamant about parroting the Sunpower hype. Not my money/life/house and NOMB, but you would have a more cost effective and equally fit for purpose system if you had chosen other panels. So be it. Still NOMB.

I'm often in the forefront of those who suggest caution and education and sober reflection before emotion and crowd behavior takes over. That includes being aware of how electric rate structure can affect a bill, and keeping an ear to the ground as to possible directions and trends in electric rates. Perhaps your current situation and complaint is an example of why I suggest looking before leaping.

I also am one of the more adamant about not oversizing an array, but that too is NOMB. It would seem your array may (perhaps) be a bit oversized given the overproduction you report.

Comment

Working...