X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

energy saving, greenwashing, too complicated to work

* Note this is a work in progress and will be tuned and tightened *

This story starts in 2010, shortly after we bought 90 country acres and decided it was going to stay off-grid. Awesome, Now we have to figure how to live here.
    Solar PV, no wind site, no hydro site. Decided on backup generator. Decided wood fired Masonry heater. Propane water heat, and of course the star of the kitchen, propane cookstove.
    Since we are building the house from scratch and entertain and need to have a large kitchen, we can do ANYTHING we want. We looked at countertops, appliances and flooring. We came up with awesome ideas and found one glitch. Oven Ignition.
    Now since "pilot lights" have been all but banned over the chorus of "efficiency" there are now only 2 choices on the market. Glow Bar or Spark ignition,
    Glowbar is clever, using a metal/ceramic heater, with electric current to make it glow nearly white hot, and that hot surface lights the gas. Then power is cut in half to merely glow cherry red, and it uses the resistance of the hot metal to sense if the flame goes out.
    Spark is also clever, using spark to ignite and then using the arc gap to also sense resistance in the conductive flame, and if it goes out, it re-sparks again, Much faster response, much less power.
    But one is an energy hog - the glow bar takes 400 watts or so to light, and 200w to monitor, So while you are cooking that roast, you are also burning power. When you are off grid, that is huge factor, using electricity for heat.
    So, the only option was to seek out ranges with spark ignition, and there are a few, Premier (made in Canada, runs of 9V battery) and some of the other major brands use spark too.
    We spent weeks in showrooms with tape measures and notepads. Wolf, Thermador, Miele, Bosch, Viking, Bertazzoni, Blue Star, Vulcan - the whole works. This is our dream home to retire to, and we've both spent time in kitchens with crap appliances. Viking ! even made in USA. And the range top, with a wide sweeping continuous grate that securely holds large AND small pans without tipping over. And the pan for making gravy. Whoa - so good they can't even keep them in stock anywhere in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Bernardino. Finally found a warehouse in the Midwest with one in stock, and had it shipped to the new home. Easy Peazy.

The month after we move in, all is well, until, click click click . Silence The oven has stopped lighting after a month.

Now, I've worked in the electronics industry and know all about infant failures on gear, and have been through this for 35 years. Not a issue, that's what warranty is for,
    Then we find out the local (30 miles away) dealer didn't sell it, so they wont service it. Factory has one tech, and he's busy and booked for 2 more months. Ah, the pleasures of living in the sticks. Clean air, clean water, no traffic, no luck.
    And when the tech shows up, no part on the truck, so it's a "special order" cause they "just don't go bad". Time marches on.... The replacement part arrives, and is installed. Success, we can cook again. Three months eating just off the stove top gets boring. We fired the generator up once to "bake" in the microwave when family was over for Christmas. We have a wood oven we can heat things in, if you don't mind some gritty ashes in the food and all over the outside of the pot. But a gas oven - even better than sliced bread.

Till it stops working, again at holiday time. Local doesn't work on Viking. We've even tried taking the range on a road trip 150 miles to the big city - we don't have shop to work on stoves here. Now being grilled, where did you buy it from..... Who was the dealer..... installer .... yeah, like we shipped it in "gray market" from korea ? And that action broke the circuit board.

Listen, it has a Viking logo on the door, made, sold and bought in USA and we can't get it fixed ?? But we did save $30 in propane because it does not have a pilot light.

If I had parts, I'd rip out the electrics and replace the oven gear with the old thermo bulb that works for 40 years. But now even the parts are BANNED in California. So I have a great looking $5,000 range in my kitchen, and am spending $ eating out, with 2 of our lambs in the freezer that I can't even cook.

My wife is coming unglued. I'm ready to make a you tube of "Viking meets 12ga". Can't sell a broken $5K range, who would buy it, Repair parts, if I can figure out which of the plethora of boards it is, at $300 per board, and no guarantee I get a part that will last more than 3 years.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

I've got a propane cook top. Once in a while the power goes out around here for a couple hours or so. If I want something warmed up or cooked during that time, I use a low tech match to light a burner. Works every time, same as when I was a kid and the stove/oven didn't even have as much as a pilot light. Does your gas valve close when the power fails ? Can it be bypassed ? Bypass the ignition system all together ? Engineer, heal thyself. Just sayin'.

Might be a temporary solution so you can cook and gain some time to find a permanent solution.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-22-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      I've got a propane cook top. Once in a while the power goes out around here for a couple hours or so. If I want something warmed up or cooked during that time, I use a low tech match to light a burner. Works every time, same as when I was a kid and the stove/oven didn't even have as much as a pilot light. Does your gas valve close when the power fails ? Can it be bypassed ? Bypass the ignition system all together ? Engineer, heal thyself. Just sayin'.

Might be a temporary solution so you can cook and gain some time to find a permanent solution.
      That is usually the way I use to light my BBQ when the automatic "striker" stopped working. Although my guess is that Mike's oven may have interlocks that will not open the gas value or pilot which usually means there is no safe way to just light it up using a match or some other flame source.

I hope Mike gets this resolved.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Although my guess is that Mike's oven may have interlocks that will not open the gas value or pilot which usually means there is no safe way to just light it up using a match or some other flame source.
        Yea, that was the "Engineer, heal thyself" part, meant a bit tongue in cheek, but with some seriousness.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
          The month after we move in, all is well, until, click click click . Silence The oven has stopped lighting after a month.

If I had parts, I'd rip out the electrics and replace the oven gear with the old thermo bulb that works for 40 years. But
          now even the parts are BANNED in California. So I have a great looking $5,000 range in my kitchen, and am
          spending $ eating out, with 2 of our lambs in the freezer that I can't even cook.

Can't sell a broken $5K range, who would buy it, Repair parts, if I can figure out which of the plethora of boards it
          is, at $300 per board, and no guarantee I get a part that will last more than 3 years.

OK, its a big disappointment that top of the line stuff doesn't work. My definition of "top" is that it always
          works, but this generation has lost sight of that concept of quality.

Around here practically everything (very long list) has been modified to meet my expectations. That is
          WAY MORE IMPORTANT than so called warrantees. You can't get the old thermo bulb in CA, what
          about the internet? If that is blocked too, ship it here and I'll forward. Those boards have a horrendous
          markup, there might be a better deal on the internet. I have been able to repair and even upgrade them
          in past decades, not so sure about the newer stuff. Sometimes the answer is get a complete piece of old
          equipment from scrap and take what you need.

When a propane furnace failed, I determined it was the circuit board. I informed the repair place not
          to even come until an exact replacement was on the truck. Since then I believe the original has been
          repaired (weak board traces), but I haven't gotten around to testing it. Should do that when a blower
          motor swap is checked, with it running so much on my heat pump and resistance heat.

I used to use matches to light things, but they were small and inconvenient. Later I used those $2 hand
          igniters for a lot of things. Lately I have a big MAP torch; just pull the trigger and I have a very powerful
          flame. A pile of tree stuff hit multiple places is burning big time in a few seconds. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

There's a half dozen complex PCB's in there, and they all have to work before they will open the gas valve. We may get the Peerless, because it works, not because it looks good. I doubt Viking is going to step up, they don't care about 1 owner.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

There's a half dozen complex PCB's in there, and they all have to work before they will open the gas valve. We may get the Peerless, because it works, not because it looks good. I doubt Viking is going to step up, they don't care about 1 owner.
              It is sad that the more modern and safer an appliance is built the more complicated the control system gets which inversely makes it easier to fail due to the complexity. Damn vicious circle.

What about using a bot belly coal fired stove?

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

It is sad that the more modern and safer an appliance is built the more complicated the control system
                gets which inversely makes it easier to fail due to the complexity. Damn vicious circle.
                Yes and on top of that the bean counters are trying to make sure you will need to replace it several
                times in your lifetime. Did you know smoke detectors now "time out" in 7 years? That is why so much
                stuff in service around here is from the 70s, tough and easily repaired. Cars, stoves, door openers,
                smoke detectors, a lot more. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by bcroe
                  Did you know smoke detectors now "time out" in 7 years?
                  Lucky you, ours are 5 years !!

Comment

• azdave
                    • Oct 2014

It is sad that the more modern and safer an appliance is built the more complicated the control system gets which inversely makes it easier to fail due to the complexity.
                    I know the drill. I got a new "state of the art" high efficiency A/C unit a few years ago and the sales hype was all abouty how much I would save over the life of the unit compared to a fixed speed motor due to the new ECM controls and such (variable speed blower motors). Well, after three ECM failures (one under warranty and two were not) I've spent well over $1600 in repairs. $1600 buys a lot of electricity around here. How much did I save on my power bill? Of course the motors alway fail when it is 116F outside so don't forget to add that convenience factor. Last but not least, no one stocks parts for those ECM controls so you go days with no A/C and you can't just buy the control, you have to get the motor and control as a unit and throw out a perfectly good brushless motor.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• foo1bar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

We have a wood oven we can heat things in, if you don't mind some gritty ashes in the food and all over the outside of the pot. But a gas oven - even better than sliced bread.
                      Another option is to use the outdoor grill. Charcoal or gas - either way you can bake some things - I know people who often do pizza that way.

Comment

• SWFLA
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by azdave

I know the drill. I got a new "state of the art" high efficiency A/C unit a few years ago and the sales hype was all abouty how much I would save over the life of the unit compared to a fixed speed motor due to the new ECM controls and such (variable speed blower motors). Well, after three ECM failures (one under warranty and two were not) I've spent well over $1600 in repairs. $1600 buys a lot of electricity around here. How much did I save on my power bill? Of course the motors alway fail when it is 116F outside so don't forget to add that convenience factor. Last but not least, no one stocks parts for those ECM controls so you go days with no A/C and you can't just buy the control, you have to get the motor and control as a unit and throw out a perfectly good brushless motor.
                        You can buy those Motors on Amazon now last one I got was $250. They do not like power surges they actually make a little surge suppression board for them.

Comment

• peakbagger
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2010

If I remember correctly older consumer surveys usually mention Viking as a brand tends to have a lot of problems. Unfortunately price does not necessarily line up with durability. I expect their production runs are low compared to the big boys and they are always chasing the latest features so the components are always changing. The alternative are Peerless stoves, not particularly attractive but expect that the guts don't change unless there is change in regulations.

Bummer nevertheless.

Comment

• DanS26
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Dec 2011

Mike, I'd buy all the possible spare parts and start replacing things until it worked. Then I'd set back and admire my $6k stove and my treasure trove of unused spare parts.

I have a $8k built in Sub Zero refrigerator with $2k spare parts setting around.........but it works and the wife is happy.

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

update
                              Finally got a service tech to do a 150 mi (one way) trip. and he brought all the parts. The oven works! Now its summer and too hot to bake, except on the sidewalk outside.

Comment

Working...