Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWFLA
    • Jan 2017

Storing solar power increases energy consumption and emissions, study finds

Homes with solar panels do not require on-site storage to reap the biggest economic and environmental benefits of solar energy, according to research from the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin. In fact, storing solar energy for nighttime use actually increases both energy consumption and emissions compared with sending excess solar energy directly to the utility grid.
  • adoublee
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2009

They say a home with storage uses more energy than one without. Sounds like they are only considering the site energy and not source energy. I'll bet that fact flips if power plant enfficiency of fuel energy conversion is accounted for. This is like saying an element electric heater is 100% efficient at the site so it must be better than a 95% efficiency NG furnace.

Comment

• Anthony A Bobo
      • Jan 2017

I would like to know whether solar panel installation has any negative impacts???

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

I bet on site residential storage may give the perception of overall lower POCO supplied energy bills.. Things seem cheaper = more usage of that thing. Anecdotal energy use for neighbors w/PV that I monitor shows usage going up. Seems like lower bills = more usage.

Comment

• Anthony A Bobo
          • Jan 2017

So what do you think whether the installation of solar panels useful of not??

Comment

• jflorey2
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

Interesting article. A good argument for grid scale storage over home storage.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Anthony A Bobo
              If that question is directed at me, and since you ask, the answer is, like most every answer, it depends on who you ask and what their goals are. Opinion's are like noses, everyone has their own, most of them smell, and some are downright ugly. There's a lot of variation in both noses and opinions. I've got my opinions, but other's bills/goals/$$/life are absolutely NOMB or concern.

Not everyone's usage that I monitor is going up. Just most, and of those that do seem to be increasing, the bills are not anywhere near where they were. Seems to me most folks have a very poor perception of energy, how it's used, how it's billed, and how to reduce it's use. They got solar because they were running away from self induced high energy bills, are clueless how they're using electricity, and throwing money at the problem rather than moving toward sane(r) energy use reduction. With apologies to ethical solar professionals who may not be con artists, people's solar ignorance is the best tool the solar con artists have.

BTW, when I say usage went up, that's total usage, not just what's bought from the POwer COmpany (POCO), but the sum of purchased power and PV generated power. I get the feeling that folks get PV, see a much lower bill and say "screw it, jack(/reduce) the thermostat, energy's now free, or at least a lot less costly", and usage goes up because the pain of the large electric bill, that was once like a hemorrhoid, is now about as irritating as a mosquito bite, and the impetus to conserve and salve the pain of a larger bill by any means is gone.

Is PV Useful ? - perhaps. But I don't think residential PV will ever do as much to reduce residential demand on the grid as once thought. Rather, I suspect it may cause a noticeable drop in mid day demand on the grid for a while (how long ??), but my cynical nature suspects that demand will creep back up with usage increasing and bills approaching some level of discomfort, only perhaps a bit less than the pre PV bills. So, overall usage will go up, folks, at least those in the U.S. anyway, will continue their profligate energy use.

PV useful ? Maybe. Maybe not. Define useful.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.
              Last edited by J.P.M.; 01-31-2017, 01:54 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

• solar pete
                Administrator
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Anthony A Bobo
                It's very useful for those who pay high power bills (cost per kilowatt hour), live in places with good incentives, have good sun hours, own their home or business and have some spare cash or can get a good loan option

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by solar pete

It's very useful for those who pay high power bills (cost per kilowatt hour), live in places with good incentives, have good sun hours, own their home or business and have some spare cash or can get a good loan option
                  I agree with you and JPM.

Solar is not for everybody. If it can save you money the I support it. If it is being installed to feel warm and fuzzy because you now think your carbon footprint is smaller then I feel it can be an issue and not worth the cost.

The simple solution for people that want to save money and lower their carbon footprint would be to turn off your electrical appliances when you don't need them and find ways to use less electricity. Conservation is a much better way to achieve both of those goals.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

No different than any other commodity like money. Those that have money, spend more of it. Those who do not, wished they had more to spend.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                      The simple solution for people that want to save money and lower their carbon footprint would be to turn off your electrical appliances when you don't need them and find ways to use less electricity. Conservation is a much better way to achieve both of those goals.
                      IMO, those words ought to be on the masthead of this website right under the words" SolarPanelTalk".

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

The results of solar panel installation will vary greatly with the situation, and the reasons for doing it are also
                        quite varied. For example some owners might want short or long term $ savings, to feel "green", to stop
                        carbon emissions, manage off grid, to go beyond and "win" the battle of conservation, to run a science
                        experiment of just what the limits of practicality might be, or just to show the energy suppliers what for.

Good planning is extremely important. But still the results will in many cases be a considerable learning
                        experience, for better or for worse. Bruce Roe

Comment

• DanKegel
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

If no carbon is emitted to generate the electricity that charges the batteries, and that electricity wouldn't have fit onto the grid to displace fossil-based power, storage won't increase emissions.
                          That's kind of the situation in Maui (see the TOU rates at hawaiianelectric.com/save-energy-and-money/time-of-use-program !!).

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanKegel
                            If no carbon is emitted to generate the electricity that charges the batteries, and that electricity wouldn't have fit onto the grid to displace fossil-based power, storage won't increase emissions.
                            That's kind of the situation in Maui (see the TOU rates at hawaiianelectric.com/save-energy-and-money/time-of-use-program !!).
                            That logic might get stretched to work in some situations, but as a practical matter, will go out the window when/if energy storage charging is allowed when the sun is not shining, rates are off peak and the tariff allows it. That might serve as an example of a tariff actually increasing off peak use to the perhaps benefit of the POCO and not necessarily to the benefit of the environment.

Using less electricity is still cheaper for the user and better for the environment.

Comment

• DanKegel
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                              if energy storage charging is allowed when the sun is not shining, rates are off peak and the tariff allows it
                              Absolutely. TOU is not a perfect match. It might still be a good tradeoff, depends on how often it's cloudy.

Dynamic realtime pricing would be better, but that's getting a little fancy, people are already nervous about TOU. Maybe someday.

Comment

Working...