This Is Just Not Right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    I bet those wings drag the ground landing. Do they have skids? Hand launched?
    Sunking No wing touches rolling around on the ground but close if you touched down too hard during a landing. The wing flex was very realistic in flight. During a 360-roll the wings would form a "S" shape. Launching was by hand off of a mountain side or with electric-assist on flat land into the wind with a helper to throw. When aero-towing it just rolled on the main gear until I had the airspeed to lift.

Adrenalin? For me I got that from dynamic soaring a ridge line along a mountain top diving in and out of the boundary layers of wind. Top speed I ever reached using a basic 2-meter glider was 163 MPH. The pro's now regularly exceed 400 MPH and the world record for a single pass is over 500 MPH. If you've never heard of dynamic soaring here is a video of the 505 MPH flight. Pretty good for not having any motor onboard huh?

SunEagle I like flying wings too. I designed and sold a little Speed 400 flying wing called the Wedgie. I sold hundreds of them before selling off the design to a manufacturer.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...?361725-Wedgie
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post
      I helped introduce Hacker Brushless Motors in the USA and was doing demos at both full size and R/C air shows. It was fun for about two years and then I got tired of the travel and being away from home so much.
      Dave I would like to speak or chat with you if you do not mind. Couple of ways to find me. You can join WattFlyer and PM me. I do not go by SK, but you can figure it out real quick. Or just reply and tell Sun Eagle to send me your email address. Or SE can send you my contact info if that makes you more comfortable. Have some questions on a new build I am working on and Hacker is on my list. FWIW building an Extreme Flight 48" EDGE 540T EXP. Looking for a compatible motor and ESC package. So far cannot beat EF motor/ESC combo.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post

Sunking No wing touches rolling around on the ground but close if you touched down too hard during a landing. The wing flex was very realistic in flight. During a 360-roll the wings would form a "S" shape. Launching was by hand off of a mountain side or with electric-assist on flat land into the wind with a helper to throw. When aero-towing it just rolled on the main gear until I had the airspeed to lift.

Adrenalin? For me I got that from dynamic soaring a ridge line along a mountain top diving in and out of the boundary layers of wind. Top speed I ever reached using a basic 2-meter glider was 163 MPH. The pro's now regularly exceed 400 MPH and the world record for a single pass is over 500 MPH. If you've never heard of dynamic soaring here is a video of the 505 MPH flight. Pretty good for not having any motor onboard huh?

SunEagle I like flying wings too. I designed and sold a little Speed 400 flying wing called the Wedgie. I sold hundreds of them before selling off the design to a manufacturer.
        https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...?361725-Wedgie
        Nice. I have seen the Wedgie being flown. If you look hard you will find me on that Forum. Mostly under the Sky Surfer and Easy Star threads.

Comment

I want one of the skyhooks he must be hanging that thing from!
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

Dave I would like to speak or chat with you if you do not mind.
            Sure. I'm not up on the latest offerings from Rainer Hacker but if you are a sport flyer and not a world class competition pilot then many other brands are up to snuff these days. After the bulk of Hacker production moved out of Germany their technology was quickly copied so they lost the big advantage they had for years before that.

It used to be that Thunder Power batteries were the top choice too but many others have come along. My one claim to fame with Thunder Power is that I designed their logo when Charlie needed something to begin marketing them in the US.

My email is no real secret. It is myfirstname@rcaz.com

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
            6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...
            X