X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

This Is Just Not Right.

I have been an RC Pilot for 4 years now, and fly 3D. I am also a private pilot, not current, and no where as good as a 15 year old kid. What is really sickening this kid is a pro, gets paid more than most of us by manufactures. He travels the country putting on shows. Meet Jase the Ace. I hope he froze to death.

Last edited by Sunking; 01-23-2017, 09:03 PM.
    MSEE, PE
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Wow that kid is good. I am surprised he could touch that battery right after that demonstration. Those LiPo's can get pretty hot.

I met a young man at an impromptu air show in Florida a couple of years ago. He would fly one of those large helicopters (like a T-Rex 700) doing all kinds of maneuvers mostly up side down or on it's tail very close to the ground. It was very impressive. His friend said that he "flew like he stole it" and while very good at what he did has probably wrecked a copter just about every other show he has seen him at.

Comment

• sdold
      • Jun 2014

In the good old days, only adults could afford to get into RC, and be able to withstand the financial hit of a few crashes along the way. A Kraft system cost several hundred dollars in the 1970s. Now kids can learn to fly RC like experts on their computers, and show us up at the flying field on their first time out. The system we have now is completely ass-backwards. Now I know how my grandfather must have felt when the automatic transmission came out, and suddenly wives could drive.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sdold
        In the good old days, only adults could afford to get into RC, and be able to withstand the financial hit of a few crashes along the way. A Kraft system cost several hundred dollars in the 1970s. Now kids can learn to fly RC like experts on their computers, and show us up at the flying field on their first time out. The system we have now is completely ass-backwards. Now I know how my grandfather must have felt when the automatic transmission came out, and suddenly wives could drive.
        I agree. I have a number of different types of RC planes and a copter using both electric or nitro fuel. I have spent a lot of money over the years and have seen the hobby grow fast.

My son just got himself a Phantom 3 quad copter with camera that he uses his Iphone to control and can fly FPV.

Sort of makes my Spektrum DX5 and Turnigy 9X line of site transmitters look out of date.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

I built an RC kit in the 50s from a "kit", used a CB frequency, XFGI tube. Can you say CRUDE? Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe
            I built an RC kit in the 50s from a "kit", used a CB frequency, XFGI tube. Can you say CRUDE? Bruce Roe
            But I bet you had fun building and flying it?

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

The scary part is it takes no training or practice. For $300 you can buy a Drone and fly like an expert. It can be done from miles away and arm the drone easily to say attack an armored vehicle or plane. Use cash, a part here, a part there is untraceable.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• azdave
                • Oct 2014

I was sort of one of "those kids" way back. I never flew the serious 3D copters like they have today but I did get to travel for free all over the country and received lots of free R/C gear for compensation. I helped introduce Hacker Brushless Motors in the USA and was doing demos at both full size and R/C air shows. It was fun for about two years and then I got tired of the travel and being away from home so much.

My real love has always been slope soaring large scale R/C sailplanes. Pictured is my 5.28M (208") span Nimbus 4. All hollow-molded with 14 servos onboard including a retractable main wheel with brake. I launched it both piggy-backed on top of an R/C plane as well as aero-towed it behind. I often hand launched it off the cliffs at Torrey Pines. I later fitted it with electric power in the nose using a 14" folding prop. These days I'm taking a break from R/C flying and enjoying my Corvairs.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by azdave
                  I was sort of one of "those kids" way back. I never flew the serious 3D copters like they have today but I did get to travel for free all over the country and received lots of free R/C gear for compensation. I helped introduce Hacker Brushless Motors in the USA and was doing demos at both full size and R/C air shows.
                  Cool, I am not into gliders or soaring. I am high adrenaline 3D planes. I would not try 3D heli's, to much adrenaline for me. However I have only been doing it for 4 years now, and still have all 5 planes in 1 piece, some with glue.

I will be at Joe Nall this May flying and buying. Going to Myrtle Beach during Biker Week and drive over to Woodruff SC for a couple of days to the Triple Tree Aerodrome for the Spring Event. Can't beat it, golf, flying, and drunk half naked biker chicks everywhere.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

But I bet you had fun building and flying it?
                    No flying here, worked on ground models. Bruce

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe

No flying here, worked on ground models. Bruce
                      Ah.Got it. I had a couple of those but they were RTD (ready to drive) right out of the box. Not the same as yours but still fun.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by azdave
                        I was sort of one of "those kids" way back. I never flew the serious 3D copters like they have today but I did get to travel for free all over the country and received lots of free R/C gear for compensation. I helped introduce Hacker Brushless Motors in the USA and was doing demos at both full size and R/C air shows. It was fun for about two years and then I got tired of the travel and being away from home so much.

My real love has always been slope soaring large scale R/C sailplanes. Pictured is my 5.28M (208") span Nimbus 4. All hollow-molded with 14 servos onboard including a retractable main wheel with brake. I launched it both piggy-backed on top of an R/C plane as well as aero-towed it behind. I often hand launched it off the cliffs at Torrey Pines. I later fitted it with electric power in the nose using a 14" folding prop. These days I'm taking a break from R/C flying and enjoying my Corvairs.

That is a really cool sailplane. Much bigger than my friends Radian XL.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

I bet those wings drag the ground landing. Do they have skids? Hand launched?
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                            I bet those wings drag the ground landing. Do they have skids? Hand launched?
                            My guess is either hand, bungee or catapult launched.

I use a catapult for my Zll. While it is a nice sized wing it is no where as big as that sail plane.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by SunEagle; 01-24-2017, 09:03 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

I remember my dad and I flying and pylon racing with 1/4 hp glow plug engines at +40K rpm. we'd use a starter from a car, in a box with battery to spin the prop, way to big to flip over by hand or with a chicken stick. 3 people to start, one to hold the plane, one to run the starter motor, and one to pull the glow plug wire off.
                              And then having to wash off the castor oil to repair the wing tissue from FOD upon landing, and the dope paint to glue it back together.
                              The racers my uncle had, took off from a rolling wire cradle, and had a magnesium lower body as skid for landing, with a counterweighted half blade prop.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...