What to do with odd 10Vdc solar panel (large 200W)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keaton85
    • May 2010

What to do with odd 10Vdc solar panel (large 200W)

My father-in-law has a large, say 200W panel that only outputs 10Vdc OC. Not really usable for any 12V system sadly.

I was thinking of running it into a 7.2V lithium-ion bank in order to charge USB devices. Any ideas for a cheap system? or get a 6V deep cycle cell like a T-105 and charge that with a 6V charge controller? trying to come up with a cheap DIY system to charge devices or run the home WiFi off of it.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by keaton85
    My father-in-law has a large, say 200W panel that only outputs 10Vdc OC. Not really usable for any 12V system sadly.

I was thinking of running it into a 7.2V lithium-ion bank in order to charge USB devices. Any ideas for a cheap system? or get a 6V deep cycle cell like a T-105 and charge that with a 6V charge controller? trying to come up with a cheap DIY system to charge devices or run the home WiFi off of it.
    If you had two of them, you would have something to work with.
    Q: Is it 10V nominal or was it 18V nominal and now defective?

200W is a lot of USB charging, and you may not be able to run your WiFi off 6V without an up converter.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• keaton85
      • May 2010

Only have one, and 10V is all it will output OC.

I was considering a T105 battery or similar but I can no find a large enough 6V charge controller to handle the amount of power the panel can output. If I could charge a 6V battery, I have a DC-DC boost circuit to run 12V loads.

It would be great to have a small charging station for all the phones and iPads in the house! Keep a tiny bit of load off the main house solar system.

Comment

• PNPmacnab
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2016

It might have half the panel shorted, maybe bypass diode. 10V is like half the open circuit voltage of normal panel. Don't think they ever made 200W 6V panels. I had some Photowatt panels and used half of each in series. Then the other cells died and both panels became completely dead. You could use a cheap ebay boost converter while it lasts to get up to something useful.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by keaton85
          Only have one, and 10V is all it will output OC.

I was considering a T105 battery or similar but I can no find a large enough 6V charge controller to handle the amount of power the panel can output. If I could charge a 6V battery, I have a DC-DC boost circuit to run 12V loads.

It would be great to have a small charging station for all the phones and iPads in the house! Keep a tiny bit of load off the main house solar system.
          A fairly simple unregulated circuit could be built to output a total of 20 or 30VDC. Sepic converters can give the voltage you
          want with regulation; there are some available for 12V batteries that are run down. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Brian53713
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2016

Experts, could you not hook a fan of some sort up to it?

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Brian53713
              Experts, could you not hook a fan of some sort up to it?
              Sure. Use a LINEAR (not switchmode) regulator and run anything from 5 to 10 volts. Should operate most 12V fans (or lights) at lower speeds/brightnesses.

You might also consider a Genasun boost controller. Their lowest voltage one (intended for charging 12V batteries) might work; it says that it works down to 5V. Of course it's also $65 and you could probably buy a standard 12V panel for something like that.

Comment

Working...