Closing out project and warranty documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing out project and warranty documentation

What should one expect from an installing contractor at the end of the project? I was thinking along the lines of:
    1- Original set of construction drawings as approved by city permitting office
    2- Copies of inspection sign-off documents
    3- Cut sheets for panels, inverters, optimizers etc
    4- Warranty documents for panels, inverters, optimizers with the serial numbers of products installed, start date and duration of warranty including vendor contact information

Am I expecing too much or missing anything?

Howdy rmk9785e, it probably depends on the rules and regs from where your from. Here in Oz all we do is email the interconnect agreement with POCO and power retailer and warranty doc that come from the manufacturers, we dont have to supply any drawings or wire diagrams although there is some technical info in the interconnect agreements.

Comment

I would think, depending on the contractor you would get anything from the closing bill to a full professionaly prepared binder with all reports, docs, applications, receipts and equipment manuals, a well as follow up visits to ensure your system is functioning properly.

​As mentioned in many other posts, YMMV
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I would want the construction drawings updated to as-builts to show any changes that may have been made in the process. Many times an inspector approves those changes without drawings going through the permitting process.

Comment

A year after activation, the system has worked quite well. The SolarEdge monitoring site reports some mismatches but doesn't look like it is something the installer's staff ever looks at. Interestingly, they are failing to provide documentation of manufacturer's warranty of 25 years despite requests for the same. I cannot find my solar panels registered at LG for warranty coverages and Solaredge indicates I would have only their 12-year warranty on the inverter since the installer didn't purchase the extension to 25 years. Now, contrary to the agreement they signed, the installer says they will provide the 25-year warranty in house.
          I think a component manufacturer has a better chance of survival than an installer and installers should fulfill their contractual obligations without souring the relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by rmk9785e View Post
            A year after activation, the system has worked quite well. The SolarEdge monitoring site reports some mismatches but doesn't look like it is something the installer's staff ever looks at. Interestingly, they are failing to provide documentation of manufacturer's warranty of 25 years despite requests for the same. I cannot find my solar panels registered at LG for warranty coverages and Solaredge indicates I would have only their 12-year warranty on the inverter since the installer didn't purchase the extension to 25 years. Now, contrary to the agreement they signed, the installer says they will provide the 25-year warranty in house.
            I think a component manufacturer has a better chance of survival than an installer and installers should fulfill their contractual obligations without souring the relationship.
            All documentation should have been listed as part of the contract you signed, with those docs delivered at or before final invoice was paid, or at a time and place and under the conditions listed on the contract. If some documentation requirement wasn't written as part of the contract, there is no obligation for the installer to provide such documentation. If you paid the invoice and didn't get all the documentation as listed on the contract, that's on your nickle.

As for what anyone tells you, verbal agreements are not worth as much the paper they're printed on.

As for getting warranty documentation, warranty for standard products is readily available. As a practical matter, find your equipment description on line and print the warranty info.

As for contractual obligations, maybe the vendor feels they provided everything required that was on the written contract. It wouldn't be the first time an installer didn't follow through. If you disagree, start climbing up the vendor's chain of command.

Comment

The SolarEdge monitoring site reports some mismatches
              What does this mean? that they put in the wrong information / model / location???
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

What does this mean? that they put in the wrong information / model / location???
                This is what SolarEdge report says. I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand what it means.

Mismatch report.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                  All documentation should have been listed as part of the contract you signed, with those docs delivered at or before final invoice was paid, or at a time and place and under the conditions listed on the contract. If some documentation requirement wasn't written as part of the contract, there is no obligation for the installer to provide such documentation. If you paid the invoice and didn't get all the documentation as listed on the contract, that's on your nickle.
                  The disadvantage of trying to negotiate one's own project with limited knowledge is that one can miss listing these milestones. I've seen one installer provide a whole package of documentation without anything about it being in the contract while others don't. May depend on the maturity and professionalism of the installer's business.

As for what anyone tells you, verbal agreements are not worth as much the paper they're printed on.
                  That's the golden rule of business. My contract included 25-year Manufacturer's warranty on my insistence. I'm going to hold them to the written contract, no more, no less.

As for getting warranty documentation, warranty for standard products is readily available. As a practical matter, find your equipment description on line and print the warranty info.
                  Yes, but the Inverter manufacturer's standard warranty is 12 years. I want to keep a proof of 25-Year warranty. The installer will need to pay them a fee to extend it to 25.

As for contractual obligations, maybe the vendor feels they provided everything required that was on the written contract. It wouldn't be the first time an installer didn't follow through. If you disagree, start climbing up the vendor's chain of command.
                  I expected better from an otherwise professional sales contact. I'll start my uphill climb.

Comment

This is what SolarEdge report says. I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand what it means.

Mismatch report.JPG
                    That is most likely just shadow differences
                    https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...sis_report.pdf
                    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
                    X