Vacationing "On Grid"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacationing "On Grid"

Coming back home at night to my parents house - every freaking light bulb is on, but the one in the fridge (and I'm not sure about that one ! )
    My brain panics ! ARGHHH All that power and nobody home. Heat something up - doesn't matter if it was sunny, use the microwave. Dial the thermostat, here comes heat.
    Sure is different then when I'm "home and off-grid"
    It's culture shock in reverse. Going back to my off-grid home monday , pull the inverter logs Tuesday and see how it went
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Good chuckle, thanks for sharing. I feel the same way at friend's house, though I'm good about hiding it out of respect. I do however tend to turn off people's lights when I leave a room I won't be reentering, out of habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Coming back home at night to my parents house - every freaking light bulb is on, but the one in the fridge (and I'm not sure about that one ! )
      My brain panics ! ARGHHH All that power and nobody home. Heat something up - doesn't matter if it was sunny, use the microwave. Dial the thermostat, here comes heat.
      Sure is different then when I'm "home and off-grid"
      It's culture shock in reverse. Going back to my off-grid home monday , pull the inverter logs Tuesday and see how it went
      It comes down to a matter of how people live and what they take for granted. Sometimes I wish that some states do get their wish and go for 75% or more RE so they will experience black outs due to no power generation. Then maybe they will learn to conserve more and understand that RE is something they have to learn to use sparingly.

There are just too many people in the US that are fat, dumb and wasteful and will find themselves in a big pickle during a long power outage.

Comment

• cebury
        cebury commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey why did you have to throw in fat. =p. I like to live in my bubble of PC people and my house doesn't have any mirrors. jk

• SunEagle
        SunEagle commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I could have used the term high BMI index but I choose not to be PC and prefer to tell it like I see it. Glad you got some humor out of my post.

It's a different lifestyle and attitude. I'd not be surprised to see grid tie PV owners usage ramp up such that/until their post PV install bills reach some rough parity with pre PV bills. Then, they can continue bitching about how badly their POCO is screwing them - partly on price and partly because they won't allow net metering on a system expansion. I'm beginning to hear some rumblings from neighbors in the HOA already. One PV owner/neighbor thinks SDG & E rates went through the roof. His billing kWh usage actually went up ~~ 20 % and the system is running fine after ~ 4 yrs. He got a hot tub and heats it w/resistance electricity.
      Last edited by J.P.M.; 11-13-2016, 07:09 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

Heh, I'm sure you are running led's!

Could you imagine the same scenario running incandescents everywhere? That might be at least some small amount of comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          Coming back home at night to my parents house - every freaking light bulb is on
          PNjunction didn't ask, but I will -- are all their bulbs LEDs?

I go through that shock every time I walk through the house after my wife or kids do

Comment

• SunEagle
            SunEagle commented
            Editing a comment
            What is an incandescent?

• azdave
            azdave commented
            Editing a comment
            What is an incandescent? It's a highly efficient electrical device used for heating. It releases 5% visible light as a byproduct of the heating process.

• SunEagle
            SunEagle commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh. I thought it was something that Edison invented. And I also thought the most efficient heating device used Infra Red radiation.
            Last edited by SunEagle; 11-15-2016, 02:24 PM.
        Working...
        X