Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duanerobbi
    • Aug 2016

I am a newbie with solar. I bought a home kit, from Harbor Frieght "Thunderbolt Solar". It is a 3 panel 15 watt (45 Watt) system. I have two 12v 60 amp/h batteries in parallel. I live in Las Vegas NV, so I have plenty of sun. I want my HV/AC blower to run continuously using solar. It uses 115v and draws 1.2amps. Will my two battery system do the job? And what size inverter do I need? Thanks for helping this newbie.
    Last edited by Duanerobbi; 09-06-2016, 12:35 AM. Reason: I needed to complete the post. So that is why I had to edit the post.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Sadly, HF's ads lead one to believe their products can do anything. In truth, they can rarely do anything,

Looking at the numbers, a 45w system could produce, in 5 hours of good desert sun, 225 watt hours of power. The ability to run your blower (138 watts) would consume that harvest in about 90 minutes, So, that's not going to work. The blower, in 24 hours, would consume 3,312 watt hours

What would work would be a PV array of about 1500 watts (about 6, 250w panels) and a battery storing 12Kwh of energy, That would be 8, 6v golf cart batteries wired in series for a 48V system, If deep cycle batteries are drained deeply, their life is greatly shortened, They are designed for about 20% discharge,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

As Mike has calculated your HVAC system will consume over 3kWh a day while those 2 60Ah batteries can only provide less than half that before they are "dead as a door nail" and can't be recharged. Also that 45watt HF solar panel system won't provide you enough watt hours in two weeks as to what your HVAC system would consume in one day.

Comment

• AndrewCharlton
        • Sep 2016

I am new to here. I am glad to visit here and got great knowledge from here. Thanks for providing this information.. I want to share something here If you allow me?? Thanks.

Comment

• Logan5
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2013

No spam please

Comment

Working...