Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • choob
    • Oct 2015

Generator fluctuation

I have a small 2.5kva generator, only 6 months old.

The output voltage is fluctuating between 200-250V and the frequency is 58Hz. Gen spec says it should be 50Hz.

I'm guessing the regulator has gone, would you guys agree? The fact that it's only 6 months old makes me doubt this... will call for warranty claim on Monday but the company technicians here are worse than useless.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by choob
    I have a small 2.5kva generator, only 6 months old.

The output voltage is fluctuating between 200-250V and the frequency is 58Hz. Gen spec says it should be 50Hz.

I'm guessing the regulator has gone, would you guys agree? The fact that it's only 6 months old makes me doubt this... will call for warranty claim on Monday but the company technicians here are worse than useless.

The frequency regulation is usually independent of everything else and controls the throttle of the prime mover (engine). It has to allow for throttle changes to track the load while keeping the speed as constant as possible.
    The voltage regulation is usually done by controlling the field current to the generator windings but the circuit may be optimized for a particular frequency and therefore not work well when the frequency (rotational speed) is too far off spec.

Bottom line is that it seems to have at least one defect, maybe two.
    Was the output frequency ever 50Hz? It may simply be marked wrong.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...