LG offering $25000 prize to anyone with higher Wh/W than the LG300N1T-G4?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

OK, letting it go. But it seems like your criteria would find just about any solar energy ad misleading.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Actually I am looking forward to seeing more solar installed here in Florida as well as other states.

And if I ever find the right property for my retirement home I plan on installing a ground based system that will eventually pay for itself since I do not plan on moving out once I get there.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanKegel
        What in particular is misleading about this particular post?
        OK, it implies that somehow, bifacial panels are more efficient in terms of output and economic benefit. The whole post ignores the very limited applications, drawbacks and the near impossibility of verifying any benefit. Those are issues you are ignorant of.

Waste your time if you want. Stop wasting my time and stop with the B.S. As usual, you are out of your area of knowledge.

I believe, due to your ignorance, your actions of spreading ignorant and misleading information is disrespectful to all and sometimes potentially harmful.

Not my forum. I don't make the rules, and I surely don't mind disagreement, but if it was mine to say, I'd give you a warning about misleading and time wasting antics of which this thread is but one example of an ongoing string of what is mostly ignorant, useless tripe.

I'm done with this thread.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-04-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
          Actually I am looking forward to seeing more solar installed here in Florida as well as other states.

And if I ever find the right property for my retirement home I plan on installing a ground based system that will eventually pay for itself since I do not plan on moving out once I get there.
          I've got 10 mostly flat, treeless, unobstructed acres in Borrego Springs w/ water & power at the prop. line. I'll even throw in a set of house plans for a 3,000 ft.^2 passively heated thermally massive and superinsulated home, about 3/4 ready for plan check. It gets a bit warm in the summer, but the design can be heated, cooled and maintained on what I believe is about an 8 kW array, or maybe 9+ kW if a heat pump H2O heater is employed. Construction costs will be about $600K - $700K, exclusive of land costs. There is a small HOA of about 25 members who like their privacy.

Comment

• jflorey2
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

No. I am just against false advertising that lures people to make stupid decisions.
            Beyond that, I don't even think those panels (LG300N1T-G4) are available yet - so it's a somewhat pointless competition.
            Hey want to buy a bridge or ocean front property in Arizona?
            Well, I hear there _is_ a very famous bridge in Havasu, Arizona now . . . .

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

I've got 10 mostly flat, treeless, unobstructed acres in Borrego Springs w/ water & power at the prop. line. I'll even throw in a set of house plans for a 3,000 ft.^2 passively heated thermally massive and superinsulated home, about 3/4 ready for plan check. It gets a bit warm in the summer, but the design can be heated, cooled and maintained on what I believe is about an 8 kW array, or maybe 9+ kW if a heat pump H2O heater is employed. Construction costs will be about $600K - $700K, exclusive of land costs. There is a small HOA of about 25 members who like their privacy.
              Well I already have 15 acres up in North Florida that were just perfect for the retirement homestead but the wife does not want to live there now so we are looking in the Central Florida area at a slightly smaller 5 acre spread. I figured either way a ground mount would be better way to go but who knows what will be available by the time I can pull the trigger.

Comment

• DanKegel
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jflorey2
                I don't even think those panels (LG300N1T-G4) are available yet
                The contest is in Australia, and at least one of LG's distributors there has the panel's data sheet on their web site:

along with the full terms and conditions for the prize: http://krannich.com.au/wp-content/up...sed-_final.pdf
                Here's an interesting bit:

6. Comparison Systems must: (a) be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions in or near a mainland capital city in Australia in a tilt frame of minimum 20 degree tilt system; (b) incorporate: a. at least one (1) LG NeON™2 BiFacial panel model G4 or A4; b. at least one (1) non-LG panel; and c. a Solar Edge inverter and optimizer combination installed; d. **the panel must be on a tilt framing system with at least 10 degree tilt off the roof surface**. (c) incorporate only panels available for sale in commercial quantities in Australia on 1 August 2016...

So once you get to the real rules and the datasheet, they are much clearer about needing to be installed at a tilt off the surface.

Comment

• DanKegel
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

The whole post ignores the very limited applications, drawbacks and the near impossibility of verifying any benefit. Those are issues you are ignorant of.
                  I've acknowledged the limited applications, and in the past I've acknowledged it's hard to measure the benefit. I don't see any drawbacks, though, if you're already installing tilt or ground-mounted panels; remember, the LG bifacials aren't glass-glass, they simply use a translucent version of the same old backsheet.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Well I already have 15 acres up in North Florida that were just perfect for the retirement homestead but the wife does not want to live there now so we are looking in the Central Florida area at a slightly smaller 5 acre spread. I figured either way a ground mount would be better way to go but who knows what will be available by the time I can pull the trigger.
                    IMO, if it's doable, ground mounting offers many advantages for the few considerations.

Comment

• DanKegel
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

IMO, if it's doable, ground mounting offers many advantages for the few considerations.
                      And once SolarWorld and LG introduce bifacial panels in the US, ground mounting is one of the potential applications for bifacial panels I've been mentioning (with e.g. crushed white shells under them)

I know, you don't like forward-looking statements, and you don't think the panels will be priced to be worth the extra energy they produce.
                      But reasonable people can disagree without being disagreeable, can't they?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanKegel

And once SolarWorld and LG introduce bifacial panels in the US, ground mounting is one of the potential applications for bifacial panels I've been mentioning (with e.g. crushed white shells under them)

I know, you don't like forward-looking statements, and you don't think the panels will be priced to be worth the extra energy they produce.
                        But reasonable people can disagree without being disagreeable, can't they?
                        As I wrote yesterday, I am done with this thread.

However, as a clarification: You are clueless about my likes, and you don't know squat about what I think. You've done such things before. It's rude behavior. Reasonable people do not make inaccurate statements about what they presume other people's opinions might be as you have done here. Presuming to do people's thinking for them is another one of the things you seem to do that reasonable people I know consider rude and disagreeable. Disagree with me all you want, but get some manners and also get a clue about the subject matter before you waste my or other's time. IMO, you're embarrassing yourself and you don't seem to know it.

Comment

• DanKegel
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

Reasonable people do not make inaccurate statements about what they presume other people's opinions might be as you have done here.
                          I'm sorry I misunderstood why you don't like me talking about bifacial panels. I've tried, I really have, but I can't boil down your objections to anything that makes sense.

Comment

Working...