Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bravia3D
    • Jul 2016

DIY Home & Car Cooler

Hello guys, I just found this forum today after searching Google for "solar panel forums" This looked like the biggest forum for discussion so here I am!
    Let me just say, I have never once even used a solar panel and don't know so much about them. But I been checking around on net and Youtube videos researching them.

The reason is because I live in Japan and during the summer it gets very hot here. Using the air conditioner always cost so much money and we must leave it on all night or we can't sleep because it gets so hot!
    I was checking Youtube videos on DIY ways to cool off your room and came across several people using ice coolers with a hole cut in the top for a fan pointing down inside and another hole with a tube coming out. They fill them with frozen water bottles or ice and the fan blows air down circulating inside and blows colder air out the tube. I realize this is nothing like an air conditioner but it does get some cold air out to help.

This got me thinking it would be great if I could make something portable that I could even stick in my car to cool the inside down on hot days, or carry to the beach to cool the inside of my UV tent down!
    At first I thought about using rechargeable batteries. But those eventually die and need to recharge, plus in high temperatures it might not be good for them. Then BINGO! I saw a video where a guy used a solar panel to power a fan blowing down into a trash can full of ice! So I got into checking out solar panels and think this is a great idea to use instead of batteries or a standard plugin.

I saw a few people using solar panels that look big and heavy and if I dropped one it would shatter. That just won't do if I want to make this portable to carry around often. So I found those portable solar panels you unfold and can charge cell phones or tablets with. I saw a few videos where people connect PC, USB or even home fans to them and they run. These type "https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0142TA8UG?psc=1" I think something like this would work great, I could run a fan or possibly 2 and even charge my iPhone or iPad.

So here is what I was thinking and where I need your guys help to decide if a portable foldable solar panel would be good for my idea and if so what type I would need to use.
    I plan on getting a cooler and using 2 powerful PC fans "maybe something like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dcj7tB4NCk" This fan is super powerful and could blow out enough air for me but is 48 VOLTS so I don't think I could run it off one of these portable panels, let alone 2 or could I?!
    I may have to search for a powerful one that I can convert to USB to use to run off it. But anyways, I most likely will use large PC fans for this.
    Which portable solar panel would give me enough power to run some PC fans "possibly a small home fan" and have enough power also to charge my cell and iPad? I notice there are so many different companies, different watts and panel types? Seems mono-crystalline is the best type, correct?
    Please help me guys choose the best type for my need, sorry if I seem a bit stupid about these.

Thank you much!

• Mike90250
    • May 2009

simple thing I do, is to roll each window down a inch and not leave anything visible in the car, A sun shade on the windshield and that's a passive way.
    If you want solar powered cooling, do a web search for "solar power car window vent" and see what those look like. Only a $20 gadget to harvest if someone smashes the window to steal it, the DIY way has $100 of gear to steal.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...