Grid tie inverter and house grid voltage regulator. would it work together?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hasan
    • May 2015

Grid tie inverter and house grid voltage regulator. would it work together?

hey, i'm looking forward to install a grid tie inverter in my house with my old pv panels that currently feed my UPS battery bank, where i live we've low voltage problem from grid, usually 150-170 in summer, it once fried my AirConditioner because volts droped significantly. so i installed a 10kv volts stabilizer. now grid wire connects to stabilizer then feeds the house 220v.

my question is is it ok to run a grid tie inverter in this condition. or i've to disconnect the stabilizer to use grid tie inverter?

thanks
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Hasan
    hey, i'm looking forward to install a grid tie inverter in my house with my old pv panels that currently feed my UPS battery bank, where i live we've low voltage problem from grid, usually 150-170 in summer, it once fried my AirConditioner because volts droped significantly. so i installed a 10kv volts stabilizer. now grid wire connects to stabilizer then feeds the house 220v.

my question is is it ok to run a grid tie inverter in this condition. or i've to disconnect the stabilizer to use grid tie inverter?

thanks
    Good question. The issue is that most stabilizers stabilize voltage by changing taps on an autotransformer. This results in a small (often unnoticeable) glitch as one tap disconnects and the next tap connects. This may cause an inverter shutdown if the anti-islanding algorithm detects the glitch as a power loss.

However, if you seeing voltages that low, the grid tie inverter will probably not remain connected without the stabilizer; most inverters require a narrow range of grid voltages to remain connected,

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Hasan

thanks
      Is the stabilizer yours or the POCO's?
      And where do you live?
      If you're in the US, and the stabilizer is yours, I'd contact the utility about them getting the voltage to be right.
      If they can't/won't, then I'd talk to the utility oversight commission.
      Sounds to me like you're out at the end of a line with undersized wire connecting you. (Getting the utility to spend money to fix your situation may be a challenge though)

Comment

Working...