Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gazcop
    • Jul 2016

Solar diy help

Hi , need advice I've got a large koi pond ,which has a giant pergola over the top , iam considering putting solar panels on roof of pond to help running costs , diy ,my question is if the solar panels don't provide enough power ,or at night ,is there something that will automatically feed power from the mains when not enough power from solar panels , and back when there is, I no some may say battery pack , but there will never be power to store as pond has 2 pumps, UV lamp , oxygen pump , and lighting , which all use 400watts, and runs constantly . any advice would be helpful ,thank you.
    Last edited by gazcop; 07-10-2016, 03:02 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The easiest thing to suggest, is installing a Grid Tie system, which uses the electric Grid as your battery. Batteries are the bane of solar systems, because they age and wear out and need replacement every 5-10 years.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

best way is to grid tie the panels, if you insist, you could use a timer to switch power to grid, based on time of day. with relays you could also use a dusk/dawn sensor. all less efficient than grid tie. Most koi ponds are designed for 2 to 10X more pump and water flow than is actually needed to maintain the fish. water falls for pleasure should be on a timer and enjoyed, then automatically shut off after use. I only use bubbler and pump. no UV light. plugged into a wall AC outlet with solar tied to the grid. Whatever you do, Do Not Buy anything yet. Hold onto your money and keep reading and asking questions. When my ponds were off grid, I ran more pump during daylight hours and then just minimal bubbler though the night.

Comment

• gazcop
        • Jul 2016

Hi , thx for advice , need more ,grid tie sound good but is it a diy fit, and where to purchase etc , thx all.

Comment

• Logan5
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2013

If I were to tackle this situation, I would run a bubbler from AC 24X7, then size a good quality 24 volt DC pump to an ARC array. panels facing S. east, south and S. west. 2X the power you need arranged, 40, 20, 40% should give you close to 10 hours pump run time. you will need some sort of control box, voltage regulator to start the motor and protect it from over voltage. You may still need a buffer battery. It can be done but will be costly. I recommend first reducing your demand by accurately determining what you really need to keep the fish alive. I source all of my parts from E-bay. Look for modules, like cycle timers, adjustable LVD devices, some have numerous options. If your into raspberry PI, you could create your own program with an infinite number of options.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

What you need to know if you plan on taking the pond off-grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more than buying the power. Grid Tie is the only way to ever have a any pay off and that takes 5 to 20 years before you break even. So be careful what you ask for.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• foo1bar
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
              Grid Tie is the only way to ever have a any pay off and that takes 5 to 20 years before you break even. So be careful what you ask for.
              My DIY grid tie will reach breakeven at ~4 years.
              Would be less if I hadn't needed to replace the main panel.

Many locations allow DIY - but some do not.
              The OP would need to look into whether their AHJ allows "owner-builder".
              I believe all of California does, and I know a number of other locations do. But there are definitely some that do not (I think FL is one that has laws in place that require licensed contractors)

Comment

• foo1bar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by gazcop
                Hi , thx for advice , need more ,grid tie sound good but is it a diy fit,
                Maybe.
                It depends on how comfortable you are working on a roof, how comfortable you are with electrical work, and whether you're willing to spend the time learning the requirements.

Microinverters are probably the most DIY-friendly - I'd say it's somewhat similar skill level to installing a dedicated circuit for a new appliance, combined with the needed roof-work

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by foo1bar

My DIY grid tie will reach breakeven at ~4 years.
                  Would be less if I hadn't needed to replace the main panel.

Many locations allow DIY - but some do not.
                  The OP would need to look into whether their AHJ allows "owner-builder".
                  I believe all of California does, and I know a number of other locations do. But there are definitely some that do not (I think FL is one that has laws in place that require licensed contractors)
                  Unfortunately you are correct about Florida.

Surprising that CA would allow DIY electrical systems when it is one of the hardest states to get a PE license due to all of the legal requirements concerning safety. I would imagine that a lot of DIY do not have a clue about the latest safety requirements including the NEC or BOCA codes.

Comment

Working...