Renovating a paned with shattered glass.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbkenn
    • Jun 2016

Renovating a paned with shattered glass.

Hi. Does anyone know of a solvent which will soften the adhesive used to attach an array to it's glass, without damaging the array ? I have two 200W Kyocera panels that got damaged in a storm. Both are electrically fine, but obviously no longer weatherproof.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Acetone is pretty good stuff, but it may take a large bag for the panel, a couple gallons of it, and then you have to make a new laminate up with EVA.

He's Dead Jim.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sbkenn
      Hi. Does anyone know of a solvent which will soften the adhesive used to attach an array to it's glass, without damaging the array ? I have two 200W Kyocera panels that got damaged in a storm. Both are electrically fine, but obviously no longer weatherproof.
      I have measured semiconductors after the seal failed, and they seemed fine. But checked a year or so later, they were developing
      serious leakage. I threw them out. Bruce Roe

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

If you are doing this as a hobby or for curiosity then feel free to spend the time. The reality is the time and effort will be rewarded with failed panels sooner not later. Spend you time watching Ebay for new panels of the same model so you can swap them out with something that will last long term.

Comment

• sbkenn
          • Jun 2016

The panel is a 200W Kyocera one, costing about

Comment

• sbkenn
            • Jun 2016

Damnit ! My post keeps getting truncated !

Comment

• Six4KilowWatt
              • Feb 2017

Call a glass shop, or other place that might have plexiglass...then get a tube of Sikka Flex adhesive...bead it up around the frame clamp it down, it's not ideal, but that sikkaflex is good adhesive...the stuff will stay put for years.

Or just get a new panel.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Six4KilowWatt
                Call a glass shop, or other place that might have plexiglass...then get a tube of Sikka Flex adhesive...bead it up around the frame clamp it down, it's not ideal, but that sikkaflex is good adhesive...the stuff will stay put for years.

Or just get a new panel.
                The plex will cloud/discolor in the sun and also from wind fatigue, and also probably increase the panel temps. for a couple of reasons. Not sure of the vapor permeability of that adhesive, but if it isn't high, it'll allow H2O vapor ingress in maybe an unacceptably high rate. If you want to fool around for the sake of learning stuff or having fun, go for it. If you want a functioning panel, get a new one.

Comment

• sbkenn
                  • Jun 2016

Plexiglass aka Acrylic, even the type that is coated with a UV barrier, will acquire a colour withing 10 years, much less in hotter countries/states. Ditto, polycarbonate. Plastics/polymers, of any kind, just don't like UV. As for Sikaflex, there are a lot of products from SIKA that MIGHT work. I have asked them to recommend one.

Comment

Working...