How Do I Evalute Good Product from Bad (in China?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jklunder
    • May 2016

How Do I Evalute Good Product from Bad (in China?)

Hi Everyone,

I am helping someone who builds GreenHouses. He is abroad and I am in China.

My goal is to help him by evaluating the physical products in China. I know they manufacturing so much here; but, it's hard to know if it's good or not.

Are there any field guides that can tell me what are the right questions to ask, and what to inspect?

Thanks
  • paris401
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by jklunder
    Hi Everyone,

I am helping someone who builds GreenHouses. He is abroad and I am in China.

My goal is to help him by evaluating the physical products in China. I know they manufacturing so much here; but, it's hard to know if it's good or not.

Are there any field guides that can tell me what are the right questions to ask, and what to inspect?

Thanks
    the list of lousy Chinese products is long... the list of good products is... short... actually the list is blank...

Comment

• Logan005
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2015

a charge controller protects your very expensive and very heavy battery bank, If you cheap out, expect to replace your battery bank sooner rather than later. I would not recommend a Cheap Chinese CC as it will likely cost you much more than you save in the end. stick with known names, Outback, midnight, xantrx and so on. if it has no name don't bother. If it's less than 100 bucks and claims to be MPPT don't bother.
      4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by jklunder
        Is he an electrical engineer? If so you can test:
        -accuracy of setpoints
        -stability of output under various complex loading conditions
        -noise on output and input (differential and common)
        -noise on internal signals (should be well within signal threshold limits)
        -ringing/overshoot/overcurrents on switching nodes and at transformer/inductor leads

You can also inspect for:
        -good thermal design (proper heatsinking and thermal paths)
        -good electrical design (decoupling caps, proper routing, proper isolation)
        -good board design (creepage/clearances observed, proper passivation, solder mask or conformal coating)
        -good mechanical design (strain relief, maintainability, design for vibe/shock)

I'd expect a good inspection of an MPPT charge controller would take about five days at a well equipped lab.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

What list? It is Chi-Com, 90% of it is junk. Most of it FRAUD.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

What types of products ? appliances, building materials, what ??

Comment

Working...