Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar panel directly connected to immersion heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wy_White_Wolf
    commented on 's reply
    No. You need to figure the resistance of the heater and plot that on the IV curve of the heater to tell if it's going work at all.

• Sunking
    replied
    Well if you are talking about using a Grid Tied Panel say a 250 watt panel with a Vmp= 32 volts and Imp = 8 amps and say connect it to a 12 volt 500 watt immersion heater with 8 amps from the panel generates 8 x 8 x .576 = 37 watts from your 250 watt panel. So you tell us, does that work for you?

Leave a comment:

• Nathan251145
    replied
    Thanks adoublee, so is there a way to avoid the short curcuit? I guess adding some sort of resistance?

Leave a comment:

• adoublee
    replied
    So you are going to short circuit the panels with the electric element? Where will that put you on the panels IV curve, which tells you how much power you will be giving the element?

Leave a comment:

• Solar panel directly connected to immersion heater?

Hi experts,
    I am planing to buy a 250/500 watt solar PV panel and connect it directly to my 2kw immersion heater attached to hot water cylinder without any convertor/inverter in between. (pure DC to heating element). I believe this should work in principal and should raise temperature of water by 10-15 degrees in one day.

My question is - will this work? Are there any problems connecting this way? Is there a better way of achieving the same result without additional cost?

Your views/comments will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
Working...
X