X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeltaFox 25
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2009

New Type of Batterys

I found this on the internet and I have been wandering if anyone else has seen them.
    HUP Solar-one Battery type that in your broswer
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Well the batteries are not new technology as they have been available since 1984. They have just been re-marketed and re-branded to the Renewable Energy market. They are made by Enersys which is a very good battery manufacture.

The way to judge any product is to stack it up against the competition using key metrics. For a RE user the most important metrics are:

$/kwh
    Warranty
    Cycle Life

A good standard to judge them by is comparing to Rolls/Surrette product line.

$/Kwh
    The Hup battery cost range from $205/Kwh up to $271/Kwh. Rolls range is $138/Kwh up to $208/Kwh. Winner Rolls.

Warranty
    Both carry 10 year warranties. Winner tie.

Cycle Life
    So as to compare Apples to Apples number of cycles is based on 20% DOD. The Hup battery is 2100 cycles, and Rolls is 5000. Winner Rolls.

Based on that info the Rolls is less expensive and will last longer (over twice as long) if properly cared for.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Nicely done analysis Sunking!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2009

Thank You for the thread on the battery Sunking

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Well my bad, I screwed up the analysis when I read the HUP charts. My Bad and I blame it on New Years Day early morning FOG in my head.

The HUP battery has 6000 cycles to a 20% DOD which is better than Rolls 5000 cycles. Does not change my overall opinion because of the COST differential providing you take care of the Rolls. However the HUP battery can take much deeper discharges without sever cycle life loss, so you might consider that.

The other thing I do not care for in the Hud battery is they come only in 12, 24, and 48 colt configurations rather than 2, 4, and 6 volts. What that means is if you want say a 12 volt Hud battery rated for 1000 AH it weighs 900 pounds. Where as a Rolls 2 volt 1000 AH battery weighs 145 pounds, you just need 6 of them. Good luck moving that 1 900 pound battery around.

Now with that said the HUP battery is an excellent battery if you can afford it and work with the weight issue
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• eurosolar
            • Sep 2011

Do you know any good and cheap battery supplier in Uk ??
            Last edited by russ; 09-14-2011, 06:36 AM. Reason: removed link
            Pv panels
            Solar energy - save your money and environment.

Comment

Working...