Options for not being able to use tax incentives?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kieranmullen
    • Nov 2012

Options for not being able to use tax incentives?

We have out home paid off, all debts paid. So we can purchase a system outright. We have 2 children and with those little tax credits ahem sorry children... We get a money from the government each year. Maybe I need a higher stress job and need to make more? Anyhow I am assuming that the tax credits would not do me any good? Also I know that usually that purchasing a system is the best long term way to go since the solar leasing companies are just out there making their buck but in this cas, they can have the credits, the only thing though... based on the sale pricing I have seen this weekend... they are charging a heck of a lot.

Not quite sure I still understand solar city and the multiple companies offering sunrun? Also better to have micro inverters or just one to replace? Or do micro inverters no go bad as often? My understanding is that it works better for shading... (I have no shading issues as I am facing directly south without obstructions)

some of my proposals http://www.mediafire.com/?251935e3o5xke

15-20k for a 3.8kw system (seems pretty small to me)

Going with 15 240w Canadian Solar panels is only $3570 http://www.solartown.com/
    Trina 245w panels $189/module ($0.77/watt)
    Canadian Solar CS6P 240w Poly $209/module ($0.87/watt)
    REC 245w panels $238/module ($0.97/watt)

(These are all poly chinese made??)

Without knowing what inverters and installation will cost, it still seems like purchasing the system and not taking advantage of the tax credits is a better deal that the solar lease? It does seem to be a pretty small system, but I suppose if I purchased micro inverters I could add on to the system as I have more space available.

If another company can purchase the system and take the tax rebates, can someone else purchase the system and install it in my house (family member) and take the tax credits?

Thank you for the insight...
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

To answer your question regarding taxes. Unless you pay no income tax at all which is unlikely. You will get a tax credit. Don't look at the line where it says how much you owe or how much to be refunded look at the line about 1/2 way up where you calculate your actual taxes. If this is a positive number you can claim the credit. If you don't pay enough taxes in one year to cover the credit the remaining credit will carry forward till the 2016 tax year.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• kieranmullen
      • Nov 2012

It seems they are all out of the sale price panels anyway.

John:
      It looks like the Trinas and the Canadian Solar will be about .92 a watt plus shipping. SunTech you need to buy the entire pallet, 28 modules.

Thanks

Originally posted by Naptown
      To answer your question regarding taxes. Unless you pay no income tax at all which is unlikely. You will get a tax credit. Don't look at the line where it says how much you owe or how much to be refunded look at the line about 1/2 way up where you calculate your actual taxes. If this is a positive number you can claim the credit. If you don't pay enough taxes in one year to cover the credit the remaining credit will carry forward till the 2016 tax year.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

I thought you were talking about having 50 panels thrown in a container with other materials anyway.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bonaire
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2012

Kieran,
          Call SolarCity. Just for quote. Some people posting here said that they had a really low cost installation and relatively low price per kWh ongoing. May be the easier way to go for you. I have no interest in Solar City (just had my own system turned on) but would have called to find out more if I had known.
          PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

• kieranmullen
            • Nov 2012

It might actually be helpful if we knew who were talking to.

Originally posted by russ
            I thought you were talking about having 50 panels thrown in a container with other materials anyway.

Comment

• kieranmullen
              • Nov 2012

Here are some I got...
              MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Originally posted by bonaire
              Kieran,
              Call SolarCity. Just for quote. Some people posting here said that they had a really low cost installation and relatively low price per kWh ongoing. May be the easier way to go for you. I have no interest in Solar City (just had my own system turned on) but would have called to find out more if I had known.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by kieranmullen
                It might actually be helpful if we knew who were talking to.
                You are the one
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bonaire
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by kieranmullen
                  Price seems really good. For 20 years of solar, you cannot beat their price. When someone buys DIY kits or even gets a low cost installer, their price is much more. Even with the solar world panels, the 4.3kw system is priced nicely. Do you know the money terms of their lease? I wonder if there are any gotchas in ther like lease termination and repo for missing say two payments. I would have done SolarCity for my install instead of buying.

One great thing that SolarCity can do is allow someone with low income and lacking the tax liability to still get a solar PV system. In just hope they do a consistently good job out in the field as they increase their installs. They will either grow like crazy or implode should the government take away the tax and depreciation incentives.
                  PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

Working...