Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ButchDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by zzzzyyyyxxxx

About tax credit, the salesman for SunPower told me the tax credit can be before rebate. i.e., It's separate payment from SunPower after all work has been done (and will not be showing on the contract agreement).
    He is a sales man. The code is such that all cash reimbursements are calculated first to prevent tax fraud. Otherwise installers would mark the price up $100,000 and the reimburse the money. Would be tax fraud.
    Last edited by ButchDeal; 05-15-2018, 08:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zzzzyyyyxxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Don't know about prices in your area but do know that equal (electrical) sized systems in the same location and same orientation will produce pretty much the same annual output for as long as you'll own a system. Sunpower is good stuff, but no better than other good equipment when correctly and professionally installed and worth no more than a few % premium in the upfront price.

Doesn't mean much for NC prices but CA pricing for decent systems is --->>> ~~ $ 3.00 - $3.25/W for turnkey systems. Sunpower stuff w/micros is running about a buck/W+ more, +/- a bit.

Unless you have shade, I'd skip the micros and price a string inverter system. Fewer things to go wrong. Usually less $$ as well.

Unless there's more to the story:
    Sunpower system price = (($4.23*3,600) - 1,000)*.70 = $9,960 --->>> = $9,960/3,600W2.76/W

LG system price = (($3.42*3,500)*.70) = $8,618 --->>> = $8,601/3,500W = $2.46/W.

BTW, you do know that the tax credit is on balance of sale after all rebates ?

The funny thing is installer #2 quotes me $500 more for using string inverter, that's why I'm choosing micro inverter, despite the concern of reliability.

About tax credit, the salesman for SunPower told me the tax credit can be before rebate. i.e., It's separate payment from SunPower after all work has been done (and will not be showing on the contract agreement).

I do have questions here but haven't checked the tax rules yet. How about city permit / PG&E fee then? All the quotes (except one) I received put them in total cost and calculate tax credit with them. It seems like I should't get tax rebate on them neither...

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Don't know about prices in your area but do know that equal (electrical) sized systems in the same location and same orientation will produce pretty much the same annual output for as long as you'll own a system. Sunpower is good stuff, but no better than other good equipment when correctly and professionally installed and worth no more than a few % premium in the upfront price.

Doesn't mean much for NC prices but CA pricing for decent systems is --->>> ~~ $ 3.00 - $3.25/W for turnkey systems. Sunpower stuff w/micros is running about a buck/W+ more, +/- a bit.

Unless you have shade, I'd skip the micros and price a string inverter system. Fewer things to go wrong. Usually less $$ as well.

Unless there's more to the story:
    Sunpower system price = (($4.23*3,600) - 1,000)*.70 = $9,960 --->>> = $9,960/3,600W2.76/W

LG system price = (($3.42*3,500)*.70) = $8,618 --->>> = $8,601/3,500W = $2.46/W.

BTW, you do know that the tax credit is on balance of sale after all rebates ?

Leave a comment:

• zzzzyyyyxxxx
    started a topic SunPower vs LG Quotes in North California

SunPower vs LG Quotes in North California

Hi, I live in bay area, North California, and am looking for a 3.5kW solar system. Here are the best 2 quotes I received:

1. SunPower, from SunPower Direct
    10 * X22-360-C-AC: 3.6kW total.
    $3.95/W before tax credit. Net Cost $2.77/W after tax credit.

2. LG Neon R, from a reputable local installer
    10 * LG350Q1C-A5: 3.5kW total.
    10 * Enphase IQ 6+ micro inverter
    $3.42/W before tax credit. Net Cost $2.40/W after tax credit.

I'm wondering if I should continue negotiating the price, or they seems about right.

Note:
    I also quoted LG Neon 2 and Panasonic, they are about the same price as Neon R. I had a feeling that panel cost is no longer the major contributor here, but installation/labor cost is. Therefore choosing a cheaper panel will not save much, at least in bay area.

To my surprise, SolarEdge+optimizer actually cost more than Enphase micro invertor, since my system is small.
    Last edited by zzzzyyyyxxxx; 05-04-2018, 12:51 AM.
Working...