SolarCity 20-year lease too good to be true?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

No - you would just be getting cheap electricity in that case. At approximately 300 kWh per month most homes will still need power from the grid.

I am referring to the fact that you will have the benefit of hindsite at that time. What problems you have had. How much you have not gained by owning the system outright.

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• phubner
      • Apr 2011

SolarCity Lease numerical analysis

SACSolar

I too have been looking at the Solar City lease option. They just finished a quote for me based on my last year usage

Hi Paul - If people want to post praise for a leasing company such as this - please post a copy of the contract in question so that details may be seen by all.

Russ
      Last edited by russ; 04-14-2011, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

From now on I am in favor of deleting these posts praising Solar City unless a copy of the lease is attached.

If I worked for Solar City this is exactly what I would do - write posts that can not be verified or facts checked and say how wonderful the company is.

Russ
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by russ
          From now on I am in favor of deleting these posts praising Solar City unless a copy of the lease is attached.

If I worked for Solar City this is exactly what I would do - write posts that can not be verified or facts checked and say how wonderful the company is.

Russ
          Ditto, except Solar City asks each mark, to keep the lease private, so folks don't realize they have been suckered.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Funny thing too - Everyone thinks they got the best deal around (salesman told them so) but don't want to find out they got screwed so they clam up.

Come on people - You are helping the leasing companies screw everyone.

Post the lease before signing.

Russ
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Naptown
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

I would love to see one of their leases. That might be interesting.
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• mangoman
                • Mar 2011

Russ
                Now that is just rich. I am happy with the deal I got on my solar city lease so I must be an employee. Wow how it must feel to go through life so bitter and distrusting of anyone with a positive story to tell.

Here is an idea. If you or anyone else is so skeptical of solar citys lease why not give them a call and pretend to be a potential customer. Then you can get your hands on a lease and take it to your lawyers or post it here for all to see. Even if they won't leave you an unsigned copy you will have 3 days to cancel after signing and you can make and post all the copies you want after you get your copy.

And no I am not a solar city employee. I work for a local municipality in southern California as a network administrator.

Give them a call or have a friend give them a call and lead them on until you have a copy of a lease. What have you got to lose?

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by mangoman
                  Now that is just rich. I am happy with the deal I got on my solar city lease so I must be an employee. Wow how it must feel to go through life so bitter and distrusting of anyone with a positive story to tell.

Here is an idea. If you or anyone else is so skeptical of solar citys lease why not give them a call and pretend to be a potential customer.
                  1) They don't service Izmir, Turkey
                  2) If people, like you for example, would share their contracts it would be informative for many
                  3) I did not say you were an employee - I said that if I were an employee of Solar City in the sales group that these posts would be something I would do.

These posts from people so excited about a 'great deal' but with no details are meaningless.

Can the bitter and distrusting crap - only a fool walks into a 20 year contract for a goodly sum with a trusting attitude. Granted, there are plenty of fools out there.

Some of the deals reported are too good to be true - the one contract I have seen was not nearly so lucrative. Either people don't know what they are looking at or are too stupid to understand the document.

Testimonials are worth absolutely zero.
                  Russ
                  Last edited by russ; 04-15-2011, 01:54 AM.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dvhenry
                    • Mar 2011

Here is an idea. If you or anyone else is so skeptical of solar citys lease why not give them a call and pretend to be a potential customer. Then you can get your hands on a lease and take it to your lawyers or post it here for all to see. Even if they won't leave you an unsigned copy you will have 3 days to cancel after signing and you can make and post all the copies you want after you get your copy.
                    They don't allow you to divulge the content of the contact?

At what level does that not tell you everything you need to know?

WALK AWAY!

Comment

• csriram45
                      • Apr 2011

I had an assessment done by solarcity and got a PDF of various options. Is this the document that everyone is asking for or is there a different contract doc? I was not told by SolarCity that I should not share or post my details.

What document are we talking about?

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Any information that will allow others to be more informed if they are following in the same footsteps.

That pdf may be interesting. There is a legal and binding contract that one has to sign to complete the deal. Even in the same area these contracts seem to be very different (from what people report) depending on what SolarCity thinks they can get away with?

People should be wise to the secrecy stuff - it is not to protect you - it is only to help someone screw you as well as they possibly can as well as to keep everyone else in the dark. There are zero technical secrets involved.

Anytime someone selling something like this talks of secrecy it is a good time to run - they have just shown you their true colors.

Russ
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• mangoman
                          • Mar 2011

Any information that will allow others to be more informed if they are following in the same footsteps.

That pdf may be interesting. There is a legal and binding contract that one has to sign to complete the deal. Even in the same area these contracts seem to be very different (from what people report) depending on what SolarCity thinks they can get away with?

People should be wise to the secrecy stuff - it is not to protect you - it is only to help someone screw you as well as they possibly can as well as to keep everyone else in the dark. There are zero technical secrets involved.

Anytime someone selling something like this talks of secrecy it is a good time to run - they have just shown you their true colors.

Russ
                          There would be no possible way to satisfy you so it is a no win for me to post it. If I posted my lease and you understand it the same way I do and it is beneficial to me, you would write it off as "You got one of the 'good' contracts if your area but someone else in your area probably got screwed to make up the difference". At the same time if I got screwed you would just point that out as SC screws everyone yada yada yada.

Lose, lose for me or anyone else that posts there lease.

Further I do not remember anything in my lease that says I can't share it with anyone else. So I took it out and gave it a quick look over and again, I saw nothing in it that says that. So am I going to post it here? Well would I post my housing agreement on a housing website just to satisfy someone else's curiosity? No. Would I post my vehicle agreement on a car website just to satisfy someone else's curiosity? No. Would I post my kid's Taekwondo agreement with her coach on a martial arts website just to satisfy someone else's curiosity? No. So why would I post my solar agreement on a solar website just to satisfy someone else's curiosity?

You may not live in the US or an area served by them, but chances are you may know someone that does and it would not be that hard for them to get their hands on a copy of a lease. And by "you" I don't just mean Russ, but any of the others that think Solar City customers are somehow being scammed.

You want to discredit the lease agreement so bad, find a way to get your hands on one. It can't be that hard.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Poor fellow wouldn't want to lose!

It will not help me one bit. It may help others to better know what to look for and demand.

A union organizer told me one time the worst groups to work with were white collar workers and women. They had no interest in helping each other out.

Seems you must be a white collar worker.

Our object is only to try to assist. People have reported being asked by the sales person not to provide the details to anyone else.

The one lease that I have seen is nothing like you claim to have. Not nearly as attractive.

Fun dealing with self centered people! Worried to provide anyone else with anything that may help them?

You had the nerve to say I was, 'bitter and distrusting of anyone with a positive story to tell'. Yes, I am distrusting of those that talk but can't or won't back up what they say.

Russ
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Dowzer
                              • Apr 2011

Rich, I just sent you a copy of my lease.

SolarCity hasn't said anything about not sharing the contract with anyone. The reason I am not posting it here is because it contains personal information.

Now that you have it, I am curious to know what you think. Are you still pessimistic about it?

Thanks.

-Chris

Comment

• Dowzer
                                • Apr 2011

Russ, I will also send it to you. Either send me your email address or I will need to post a few more times before the forum will allow me to send it to you through the forum.

-Chris

Comment

Working...