Is it worth to put solar panels where I live in South America?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hgrimberg
    • Jun 2013

Is it worth to put solar panels where I live in South America?

I am thinking about installing Solar PV panels on my house in Uruguay, South America. Actually my exact location is -34.934,-54.914. As you can see it is pretty down south and winters are really cold here. Now, for instance, it is 37º F.
    My average monthly electricity consumption is 400 kw and my bill is around $150/month. So it is around $0.35/KW.
    There are no tax incentives for installing PV panels but the Electric company can buy the electricity I can produce with the solar panels during daylight so I can do an on-grid system.
    Is it worth to install PV panels under these conditions and in this location?
    Thank you.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Have not you asked this already?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• KRenn
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sunking
      Have not you asked this already?

I think that dude was in Ecuador, unless this is the same poster and he's some sort of South American kingpin with properties in each country.

Comment

• hgrimberg
        • Jun 2013

haha, no, I just have this house only. Yes, I tried to post it before but lost where I wrote it. Was my last thread posted? I can't find it!

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Hard to say without knowing the equipment cost in your country.

In Turkey you pay full price plus import duties - not too much solar PV there.
          Last edited by russ; 07-22-2013, 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• hgrimberg
            • Jun 2013

Hi Sunking,

Thank you for your answer. My other thread is lost, vanished from the forum for some unknown reason.
            So, I'll copy your answer here and respond to it:

Well that depends on a lot of factors. Some of those include.

1. Local area must have have electric rates. It appears you do but it is retaliative to local labor and material cost for the solar.

2. Utility must have Net Metering. Not only must they allow you to interconnect, but pay you the same rate or more than you pay them per Kwh. Here in the USA many states do not have Net Metering Laws like where I live in TX. In my are we pay the electric company 8-cents per Kwh and they pay us wholesale rate of 4 to 5 cents per Kwh.

3. Must have good to excellent Solar Insolation. I looked at your home and the roof appears to face Northwest which is not bad, but looks like you have some serious shade issues with trees. FWIW you might want to remove some of the digits or your coordinates. I know exactly where you live and have a picture of your home.

4. This is a big one. Country, State, and Locale incentives in the form of subsidies (free money). Here in the USA some states and especially some select cities neighbors are forced to pay for as much as 75% of the system and labor cost in the form of artificially inflated electric rates and taxes.

So your question is impossible to answer and you have to do the homework to see if it is right for you. There are too many variables to answer.

--- Response:

You are totally right about the tree shade. Around the house there are a bunch of Araucanian pine trees which is a Patagonian conifer and are very tall and wide in caliper.
            I am also concerned about the shade, but I was also concerned about the low temperatures in winter time we have here as well as the cloudy days.
            I will have to ask about how much the Electric company will buy electricity from me. Good point.
            I don't understand your item 1, and from item 4, you mean you can use 75% of the cost of installing a solar system as income tax credit?
            Thank you.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by hgrimberg
              1. Local area must have have electric rates. It appears you do but it is retaliative to local labor and material cost for the solar.

4. This is a big one. Country, State, and Locale incentives in the form of subsidies (free money). Here in the USA some states and especially some select cities neighbors are forced to pay for as much as 75% of the system and labor cost in the form of artificially inflated electric rates and taxes.
              --- Response:

I don't understand your item 1, and from item 4, you mean you can use 75% of the cost of installing a solar system as income tax credit?
              Thank you.
              OK I will elaborate.

Item 1 I had a typo error and should have read:

1. Local area must have HIGH electric rates. It appears you do, but it is retaliative to local labor and material cost for the solar. you 30 + cents per Kwh is high if that is a USD number. But is relative to to other cost. If equipment cost like solar panels are inexpensive like in the USA of $1 to $2/watt you get a better ROI. However if equipment cost are are high in your country then you loose the leverage.

In item 4 here in the USA the subsidies come in many forms depending on which state and city you live in. On a national level in the USA Federal government offers a 30% tax credit ater local rebates and incentives are applied. However locally in some states like California utilities and cities offer huge rebates in cash based in a $/watt installation cost. Those rebates are not given willingly by the electric companies or local population tax payers. It is mandated by the governments. Some in some area once all the incentives, , and credits are applied, That $40,000 ends up costing $10,000 out of pocket.

FWIW if I were you I would edit your post and remove some of those lat/lon digits. It is a cruel world today with a lot of crazy people in it.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• hgrimberg
                • Jun 2013

OK I will elaborate.

Item 1 I had a typo error and should have read:

1. Local area must have HIGH electric rates. It appears you do, but it is retaliative to local labor and material cost for the solar. you 30 + cents per Kwh is high if that is a USD number. But is relative to to other cost. If equipment cost like solar panels are inexpensive like in the USA of $1 to $2/watt you get a better ROI. However if equipment cost are are high in your country then you loose the leverage.

In item 4 here in the USA the subsidies come in many forms depending on which state and city you live in. On a national level in the USA Federal government offers a 30% tax credit ater local rebates and incentives are applied. However locally in some states like California utilities and cities offer huge rebates in cash based in a $/watt installation cost. Those rebates are not given willingly by the electric companies or local population tax payers. It is mandated by the governments. Some in some area once all the incentives, , and credits are applied, That $40,000 ends up costing $10,000 out of pocket.

FWIW if I were you I would edit your post and remove some of those lat/lon digits. It is a cruel world today with a lot of crazy people in it.

The cost of the panels here is around US$1.60. Cost of electricity is around US$ 0.30. Why is that you say that in the US to install 20-30 PV panels on your roof can cost $40.000? Panels only can cost 10.000 and instalation $5000... Am I wrong?
                Thank you,

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

The cost of the panels here is around US$1.60. Cost of electricity is around US$ 0.30. Why is that you say that in the US to install 20-30 PV panels on your roof can cost $40.000? Panels only can cost 10.000 and instalation $5000... Am I wrong?
                  Thank you,
                  Total install cost in the USA vary from $4 to $5/watt. There is more to it than just the cost of the panels and labor.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Thank you,
                    The total installed cost here in the US can be much more due to the high labor rates.

Sometimes the roof needs additional supports depending on wind and snow loading.

There are also the permitting and inspection costs that are required to allow you to connect to the Utility grid.

Before any incentives or rebates an installed system can go to $5/watt or more. So an 8kw system can run you $40,000.

Comment

• FloridaSun
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Dec 2012

Thank you,
                      You'll be surprised to find out how much good racking/panel mounts cost. Then add wire, breakers/fuses, disconnects, boxes/panels... it all adds up but worth it for a long lasting and safe installation.

Comment

• hgrimberg
                        • Jun 2013

Yes, but just supports and all the wires, etc $40,000? Thats a rip off! Well, I know labor in the US is extremely expensive.
                        A lot of houses here have flat roof, mine has half of the roof, flat. I wonder if on a flat roof the cost of supporting the panels can be lowered significantly. I also wonder if it will be better to just laid the PV panels horizontally or giving them an angle according to the latitude I am on. If I am in Latitude 34º, then should I tilt the panels 34º towards the north? (I am in the Southern hemisphere)

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Yes, but just supports and all the wires, etc $40,000? Thats a rip off! Well, I know labor in the US is extremely expensive.
                          A lot of houses here have flat roof, mine has half of the roof, flat. I wonder if on a flat roof the cost of supporting the panels can be lowered significantly. I also wonder if it will be better to just laid the PV panels horizontally or giving them an angle according to the latitude I am on. If I am in Latitude 34º, then should I tilt the panels 34º towards the north? (I am in the Southern hemisphere)
                          The closer you are to the equator the lower the angle can be for the panels. Too low of an angle will allow dirt and material to collect on the panels blocking the fun sunlight that gets to the cells. Panels should be cleaned periodically.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
                            The closer you are to the equator the lower the angle can be for the panels. Too low of an angle will allow dirt and material to collect on the panels blocking the fun sunlight that gets to the cells. Panels should be cleaned periodically.
                            He is ar -34. You are closer than he is. . Orlando at 28
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

He is ar -34. You are closer than he is. . Orlando at 28
                              I gotta get an atlas. LOL

Comment

Working...