Seeking advices for backyard solar setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advices for backyard solar setup

I'm in the process of setting up some lights and pond pump for my backyard, and I'm feeling things getting a bit over my head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've gotten 2 50W panels, 20A controller, 1 12V 100AH deep cycle battery, 6 5W 12V LED path lights, 1 13W 12V pond pump, 1 4W 12V fountain pump, 1 5W 12V submersible LED light, and 1 photocell switch with 1 DPDT 10A relay.

The plan is to run path lights run off one pole of the relay during nights and to run pumps during day and submersible light during nights off the other pole of the relay. Basically, I need the lights to come on during the nights only and pumps during the day. I would prefer to run pumps to run continuously, but I'm guessing I might need more solar panels for that especially since I might add a bit more lights. The pond has no fish, so I don't think I need the pumps to run continuously.

I'm not quite sure if my plan is sound and also not quite sure how to make everything sufficiently weatherproof, and I could use some help. I was thinking building a box with plywood with roofing shingles and siding and mounting battery box and junction box inside to house all the electrical component inside. Would that be okay or is there a simpler/better way? Also, is it too much to wire everything into a single relay? I'm not completely sure how to wire everything up best to my needs and am completely open to suggestions.

Also, the relay says contacts are approved for 240VAC and 24VDC. I'm thinking it shouldn't have a problem handling 12VDC I'm planning on running, but is that right?

Finally, the solar controller I have is a cheap one bundled with the panels and looks to be this model here -> https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Cont...lar+controller From what I gather it's a pretty basic model. It seems sufficient enough, looking at the specs alone, but I'm open to upgrading it if someone has suggestions.

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for all your help.

That's valuable information, I found a lot of answers in your nice article share, and I want to ask if I can use this solar lighting for my garden because I don't know much in this field. Reading Kids garden Ideas allow me to use this design for my backyard.

Decoration Ideas
    Last edited by Rebeca; 11-24-2016, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X