NOT Solaredge Firmware 4.9.33 now has WiFi Enabled for US markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOT Solaredge Firmware 4.9.33 now has WiFi Enabled for US markets

I just upgraded to the latest firmware on my SetApp enabled inverter, and found that there is now the ability to directly connect the inverter to WiFi. Finally.

EDIT: WRONG!!! Still not enabled. I jumped the gun, and then shot myself in the foot with it.

Last edited by blueman2; 07-30-2020, 02:50 PM.

I updated my SE6000H SetApp inverter today and saw the wi-fi option. I am on cellular and haven't tried it yet since my wi-fi signal is weak near the inverter. The Solaredge firmware update website is not showing this update yet. This is good news. Has anyone actually tried it yet? Wonder what else has changed?
    Last edited by PugPower; 07-05-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

The other big item added to this release is new security that will effectively prevent anyone from ever 'rooting' their inverter to change firmware settings themselves. As far as I know, no one has 'jail broken' a SolarEdge inverter, so moot point I guess. But does provide better security from external hacking.

And for the WiFi to work, you will have to install an external antenna. I already did this when the box was installed, so that made adding the wifi connection trivial for me. You can use pretty much any WiFi antenna that has the small coaxial connector on it. I had several laying around. Main thing is to find one that has a 2 foot or so long cable so that you can route the cable out of the box to mount the antenna.

I tested wifi, and it worked, but I went back to my hard wired Ethernet cable since I already had that run to the box and trust it more than wifi for stability.
      Last edited by blueman2; 07-05-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Can I use the same antennae which is connected to the cellular card? I believe it has a small coaxial cable. Where does it connect for Wi-fi?

Comment

Not sure. Antennas are often tuned to a specific frequency, so not sure the Cellular antenna will work. As for where it connects, I would have to pull the cover off my system to see. If you cannot find the answer elsewhere let me know and I will pull it off tonight and take a picture.

Comment

Looking online the SolarEdge website, the antennae included with the cellular kit looks identical to the antennae included in the wi-fi and zigbee kit. Maybe someone else can confirm that they are interchangeable.
            Last edited by PugPower; 07-05-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

While antennas may look alike, they seldom are interchangeable. They are each internally set for a specific band, some are dual band, and for manufacturing ease, they all get the same plastic cover sleeve.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Is WIFI available for the older H model inverters with the LCD screen, or are wee out of luck there?

Comment

Originally posted by reader2580 View Post
                  Is WIFI available for the older H model inverters with the LCD screen, or are wee out of luck there?
                  Pretty sure this is only for the new SetApp enabled devices. They had to add WiFi in order to talk to smart phones for setup (due to no LCD screen). They enabled the WiFi for connection to the internet everywhere EXCEPT in the U.S. at launch, and only now got around to clearing the regulatory hurdles to turn the WiFi on in the US as well.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman2 View Post

Pretty sure this is only for the new SetApp enabled devices. They had to add WiFi in order to talk to smart phones for setup (due to no LCD screen). They enabled the WiFi for connection to the internet everywhere EXCEPT in the U.S. at launch, and only now got around to clearing the regulatory hurdles to turn the WiFi on in the US as well.
                    I guess the question should have been is do the old H series inverters with the screens have the ability to do WIFI in the USA now with the WIFI kit? My guess is no as I understand the WIFI was Europe only and probably no more development on the old H series inverters.

Comment

Maybe I am getting a bit off topic, but can I connect a new Setapp inverter to an original H series via RS232 or RS485 and use the WI-FI in the new inverter to do the communications for both inverters? I currently have two original H series inverters connected via RS232 or RS485 and only one inverter has the Ethernet cable installed.

I need to replace an inverter to add more panels and would prefer to ditch the Ethernet and go WI-FI if possible.

Comment

My SolareEdge 7600 inverters are planned to be connected this way, i.e Ethernet cable to my network, rs485 between the two inverters (my system is still awaiting inspection by city and then turn up with the power company, hopefully by end of month). I could do wifi, but ALWAYS prefer a wired connection when I can do it. Wifi can more easily be hacked or jammed or have interference. I only use wifi is hardwired connectivity is not practical.

Comment

Originally posted by bird95134 View Post
                          My SolareEdge 7600 inverters are planned to be connected this way, i.e Ethernet cable to my network, rs485 between the two inverters (my system is still awaiting inspection by city and then turn up with the power company, hopefully by end of month). I could do wifi, but ALWAYS prefer a wired connection when I can do it. Wifi can more easily be hacked or jammed or have interference. I only use wifi is hardwired connectivity is not practical.
                          I have Ethernet to one of my Solaredge inverters today with the RS485 to the other just like you have. I am going to be moving the inverters to a location 200 feet from the house. I would need to run 200 feet of Ethernet cable underground to get a wired connection out there. I would prefer to do WI-FI as there is a strong signal out there. I need to replace an inverter to get more capacity and would like to use a Setapp one if it can share the WI-FI with the other inverter.

I am not worried about hacking. I would hope Solaredge encrypts their communications plus WI-FI is encrypted. Nothing that Solaredge sends is any data that I should care about if it gets hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by reader2580 View Post
                            ..........I am not worried about hacking.......
                            Then you are woefully ignorant about what hackers can do:

^ oh look, a bunch of solar on this block - lets brick them later tonight and they won't know for a month or two....... ^

Sure, your data means nothing to them. But mischif - you've seen what ^protesters^ do.

But if you are moving your array, you are going to be trenching and simply lay a second half inch conduit for data. 200' is pushing wifi pretty hard, cable just makes it simple

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

But if you are moving your array, you are going to be trenching and simply lay a second half inch conduit for data. 200' is pushing wifi pretty hard, cable just makes it simple
                              But also be aware that there is a pretty hard limit of 300' for ethernet cable. I have done numerous long cable runs and find that most ethernet chips will shut down communication aggressively at 300' (i.e. no link will be allowed). Sounds like you are less than that, but wanted to make sure in case you do need more length. The alternative for over 300' is to use a MOCA modem device that transmits ethernet over coax for very long distances. The MOCA devices are pretty cheap, especially the ones that were designed for DirecTV and are available on eBay all the time.

Or, if you really want to stick with wireless, go with Ubiquity dishes that can go 1-5 miles with ease.

Comment

Working...
                              X