Existing System (SolarEdge) Questions / Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blueman2 View Post

Codes vary by region, so you need to check with local codes. For me, I decided to add a dedicated breaker just for the Wattnode. Make sure any load wiring from the breaker to the Wattnode is sized correctly for the breaker. As I recall, you have to run the 2 120V phases (your Red and Black) as well as the Neutral (White) to power the Wattnode. Then you have to match the 2 clamps to the correct bus wires coming into your electrical panel. Also, the clamps should have an arrow on them to show proper direction of current flow.

Of course, do not do any of this yourself unless you are familiar with the safety requirements of working with lethal voltages.
    Last question. When setting things up in the inverter settings did you set the wattnode meter to import and and export or just consumption?

Comment

Originally posted by Deihmos View Post

Last question. When setting things up in the inverter settings did you set the wattnode meter to import and and export or just consumption?
      I cannot recall, but I do not remember really doing much of any settings other than the RS485 stuff. The inverter will take import and export from the Wattnode since that is all it knows. It then calculates consumption based on that plus what the inverter generates.

Comment

Originally posted by Deihmos View Post

Ok thanks. I saw on youtube this guy connect the wire to an existing breaker. That's out of the question. I wouldn't know how to add a new breaker and the device use about 1 watt. In my panel there are some wires that were spliced so I may be able to use that. No space left in the box either.

20210412_173011421_iOS 4.jpg
        No space left in the box either. Does that mean you don't have room in the electrical panel for the Wattnode? And are planning to mount it somewhere else? Please clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by oregon_phil View Post

No space left in the box either. Does that mean you don't have room in the electrical panel for the Wattnode? And are planning to mount it somewhere else? Please clarify.
          No space for another breaker. I have room in the panel for the wattnode. I am also looking at the solaredge brand but it is in some kind of bulky enclosure. I am not sure if it can be removed.

Comment

Some panels can take 1/2 width breakers, and you can fit 2 in the single slot. But not all panels have this feature available, and it does make it more likely for uneducated to overload a panel.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

just out of curiosity, which breaker is your backfeed for Solar? It looks like you only have a 100A panel, which maxes out Solar Backfeed to 20A. But only breaker I see on bottom is 30A. So that really confuses me.

EDIT: Oh, I see the panel appears to be 125 bus rating, so with your 100A breaker, you are fine.
              Last edited by blueman2; 04-14-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X