X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsoroudi
    • Jun 2020

Existing System (SolarEdge) Questions / Help needed

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 1 year old solar panel system, my original SolarEdge SE7600 inverter went bad (it was the one with the screen and buttons) and was just replaced under warranty with their new SE7600H which has no screen. The tech who came out also informed me that the iOS app is changing from the old "SolarEdge Monitoring" to the new "mySolarEdge" app. Great, downloaded it, setup, and good to go.

Up until this issue popped up, I had never really paid too much attention to the mobile app or web monitoring interface. I had checked in now and then, but thats about it. Now I've realized that while I can monitor my production, there is nothing about consumption (because of course that module isnt installed as I've learned from the threads on this forum). I'm looking into having my installer do this vs whether I want to try and do it myself (sorta kinda think I could, not sure).

Also, I only had basic access before, so I of course politely demanded I be given Full Owner Access. After some back and forth they obliged, and when I log into the web portal, I can now see "Dashboard" "Layout" "Charts" "reports" "Alerts" "Admin" . they also sent me a screen shot of my user account showing the role "full Access" and Site owner check box marked. I assume this is the correct permissions level? Or if I need to go back and ask for something else to be done, please let me know what.

Next, I confirmed, connectivity is via cellular. I've read through all the relevant threads I could find here, but cant seem to confirm whether wifi is now an option? The tech said no, but wasnt sure. I dont want to do Zigbee. Ethernet is not going to be easy based on the location of the unit.

Finally, anything else I should be looking at / considering, while my solar panel / system suddenly has all my attention?

Thanks!
  • PVAndy
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

The consumption monitor is not integrated in the inverter. It requires an external box and a set of CT's to measure consumption in your main panel.

Andy

Comment

• JoeBinotto
      • Jul 2020

@dsoroudi did you install a SE Monitoring Kit? If so, which one? How do you like it? I want to install one as well. Also, did you confirm the only way to connect Wi-Fi is via ZigBee or Ethernet direct? I believe in Europe the SE inverters can scan for available wi-fi networks but for some strange reason not here in the states.

Comment

• Undebt
        • Nov 2017

I just went through this same issue. My SE6000 inverter died after less than 3 years, and was replaced with the windowless SE6000 setapp inverter. My installer told me they have been replacing a lot of the older "window" inverters due to failure. Do you know what caused your failure? Mine was due to a "thermal event" which probably explains why the inverter smelled like burnt insulation when it died. When my new one was up and running my app was showing the consumption sections, but they were blank (due to not having the additional hardware to provide the info) After a couple of days the app went back to just displaying the production information sections.

I have a third party production/consumption meter and corresponding CT's in the panel that provide all the additional information.

My new inverter is also using cellular for communication which really surprised my installer. I guess SolarEdge just recently started using cellular as the default option instead of Zigbee. I do remember seeing in another post that the newest firmware has the ability to do Wifi, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of that.

Comment

• theoak
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by JoeBinotto
          @dsoroudi did you install a SE Monitoring Kit? If so, which one? How do you like it? I want to install one as well. Also, did you confirm the only way to connect Wi-Fi is via ZigBee or Ethernet direct? I believe in Europe the SE inverters can scan for available wi-fi networks but for some strange reason not here in the states.
          As others have noted, you need a separate energy meter installed to get consumption information.

I self installed a SolarEdge branded one. Works great. There are other brands out there that will work that you can integrate with the inverter or be completely stand alone with its own software. Other brands can monitor potentially down to energy usage by specific appliances/devices in your home. For me that would have been analysis paralysis. At the end of the day, I am just after overall consumption. In addition, I wanted all of my reporting in one location; hence, that is why I opted for the SolarEdge solution. Works for me and gives me the data I am after. It was also cheaper than other solutions, so my wallet thanked me.

As far as wifi, I am in the US with the latest firmware and I could never get wifi to work. It just gives me an option for the gateway. I currently use ethernet plugged into a wifi client to my home router. Works great. I would love to use built in wifi however as I have other uses for my wifi client. Fingers crossed that will be soon.

Comment

• blueman2
            • Sep 2019

As for consumption, I did a DIY install of WattNode Modbus meter. Got mine for $80 off ebay. I think they have gone up in price since then though. I installed mine near my meter, and ran an ethernet for the RS-485 back to my inverter which is in my garage (75 feet). You can alternatively put the consumption meter near your inverter and use an ethernet cable to run the wires for the clamps in your outdoor meter box. Here is what mine looks like:

Capture.JPG

As for the internet hookup, the new firmware does enable WiFi. But you have to look in the right place to enable it. It does work as I had mine on wifi for a couple days just to test it. Now back to wired ethernet. I am in the US.
            Last edited by blueman2; 07-27-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• theoak
              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by blueman2
              As for the internet hookup, the new firmware does enable WiFi. But you have to look in the right place to enable it. It does work as I had mine on wifi for a couple days just to test it. Now back to wired ethernet. I am in the US.
              If you can provide screen shots and/or menu selection ... that would be AWESOME!

Comment

• blueman2
                • Sep 2019

Originally posted by theoak

If you can provide screen shots and/or menu selection ... that would be AWESOME!
                I just upgraded to the latest firmware on my SetApp enabled inverter, and found that there is now the ability to directly connect the inverter to WiFi. Finally. EDIT: WRONG!!! Still not enabled. I jumped the gun, and then shot myself in the foot with it. :crazy::crazy:

Comment

• JoeBinotto
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by theoak

I had sent this question (if I could connect directly to Wi-Fi) directly to SE a couple days back & below is their answer (which is consistent with what I have been reading):

Additionally, the inverter will not communicate using WiFi, it will communicate via cellular, Zigbee/Gateway or LAN, as these are the supported methods of communication. I am sorry to hear that you're not getting consistent data to your portal. As soon as you provide your inverter serial number or site ID, I will be able to better assess the situation.

Comment

• theoak
                    • Jul 2020

I actually did this same. Basically they said it is planned for the future, but they would not give me a date or guess.

Comment

• Deihmos
                      • Mar 2019

As for consumption, I did a DIY install of WattNode Modbus meter. Got mine for $80 off ebay. I think they have gone up in price since then though. I installed mine near my meter, and ran an ethernet for the RS-485 back to my inverter which is in my garage (75 feet). You can alternatively put the consumption meter near your inverter and use an ethernet cable to run the wires for the clamps in your outdoor meter box. Here is what mine looks like:

Capture.JPG

I plan to install the same device but cannot figure out something with the CT. I have 3 wires coming from outside in my main panel which are red black and white. Do I connect the CT just to black and red? I assume the white is neutral. How did you connect your CT and neutral wires?
                      Last edited by Deihmos; 04-11-2021, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• blueman2
                        • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Deihmos

I plan to install the same device but cannot figure out something with the CT. I have 3 wires coming from outside in my main panel which are red black and white. Do I connect the CT just to black and red? I assume the white is neutral. How did you connect your CT and neutral wires?
                        If you are in US and have 240V single phase service, you only connect to the hot wires, which are Red and Black in your case. Only 2 clamps.
                        Last edited by blueman2; 04-12-2021, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Deihmos
                          • Mar 2019

If you are in US and have 240V single phase service, you only connect to the hot wires, which are Red and Black in your case. Only 2 clamps.
                          Thanks. Yes, I am in the US. How did you power the wattnode? Did you install a new breaker or connect to existing breaker? How did you connect the neutral wire?

Comment

• blueman2
                            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Deihmos

Thanks. Yes, I am in the US. How did you power the wattnode? Did you install a new breaker or connect to existing breaker? How did you connect the neutral wire?
                            Codes vary by region, so you need to check with local codes. For me, I decided to add a dedicated breaker just for the Wattnode. Make sure any load wiring from the breaker to the Wattnode is sized correctly for the breaker. As I recall, you have to run the 2 120V phases (your Red and Black) as well as the Neutral (White) to power the Wattnode. Then you have to match the 2 clamps to the correct bus wires coming into your electrical panel. Also, the clamps should have an arrow on them to show proper direction of current flow.

Of course, do not do any of this yourself unless you are familiar with the safety requirements of working with lethal voltages.

Comment

• Deihmos
                              • Mar 2019

Codes vary by region, so you need to check with local codes. For me, I decided to add a dedicated breaker just for the Wattnode. Make sure any load wiring from the breaker to the Wattnode is sized correctly for the breaker. As I recall, you have to run the 2 120V phases (your Red and Black) as well as the Neutral (White) to power the Wattnode. Then you have to match the 2 clamps to the correct bus wires coming into your electrical panel. Also, the clamps should have an arrow on them to show proper direction of current flow.

Of course, do not do any of this yourself unless you are familiar with the safety requirements of working with lethal voltages.
                              Ok thanks. I saw on youtube this guy connect the wire to an existing breaker. That's out of the question. I wouldn't know how to add a new breaker and the device use about 1 watt. In my panel there are some wires that were spliced so I may be able to use that. No space left in the box either.

20210412_173011421_iOS 4.jpg
                              Last edited by Deihmos; 04-12-2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...