X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • free man
    • Apr 2015

Need Some Opinons and Recommendations

Hello!

I am looking to set up some panels to run an irrigation well pump during the day, no batteries for night use, strictly for daytime use, and only occasional use.

I am also considering setting up the panels to feed power back to the grid for credits.

Tied directly to the well is simple enough, but how do I go about tying the system into the grid??

Thanks for you insight.
  • bob-n
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2019

You need virtually the same system as any homeowner. You need one or more solar panels and one or more grid-tie inverters. The panel(s) feed the inverter(s) and the inverter(s) feed the grid. You connect the irrigation system to the grid power and set an irrigation timer so it only runs when the sun shines. That way, any excess power goes to the grid naturally.

To connect to the grid, you need approval from the power company. You probably also need a building permit, but that's dependent on your city or town.

There are options for which and how many panels to get, the exact inverter or inverters to get, the panel-mounting hardware to get, and the wires, boxes, and circuit breakers. But it's no different from the options any homeowner faces going solar.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

If you set up an approved net metering system of sufficient size, you can just run
      a conventional pump off the grid for essentially free (like I do). To run a pump
      directly from panels with no other energy source, you will need a specifically
      designed panel/control/pump system, they do exist. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...