Need help with installing consumption meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with installing consumption meter

I have 15kw system with 7.6kw and 6kw solaredge inverters. I am looking to ad meter to get more insights on consumption and production on solaredge monitoring. So thinking of install a wattnode meter. Due to size of my system i am back feeding into main meter load side.
    Not sure what is the best place to install CT's to get best insight. I believe if i install CT's in main panel on service line, i can only get consumption.
    Any thoughts?

If you install on main meter service line you will get NET consumption or generation depending on time of day or consumption pattern.

I use 4 methods to track data, and each is the best for its purpose. I do have to go to several places to get the best insight overall. I also have 3 generation sources which are all different and there is no way to consolidate them. Your situation may be much simpler depending on how you define "best insight".
    My information system is designed to give me data so I can control consumption relative to generation..I am 3 months from my True Up with a $500 credit which will be reduced because of NEM discount at True Up. Therefore currently it is in my best interest to consume that credit. I have 2 EVs and that should be an easy task. This is my first year on that system and I now know that I have more than enough capacity that i can be more flexible running Air Conditioning and charging cars than I previously thought. That is the best insight for my situation.
    Last edited by Ampster; 12-27-2019, 10:11 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

My system is been online for 3 years.I do have production meter and bidirectional meter from energy company. I get consumption, total generation and net grid usage on my pdf bill. But i am just trying to get details on solaredge site realtime.
      I do have EV.Eventually want to monitor how much i am using to charge car.Our energy company does provides separate ev charging rate at night, but needs a separate meter installed.So want to see if its wort it.

Comment

Are you using the Solaredge monitoring portal?

For monitoring the charging of my two EVs my Clipper Creek EVSE with JuiceNet software gives me good data and allows me to change parameters and schedule charging from my phone. I also brought a useed Neurio and have one CT clamp around the EV charging circuit.
        the other CT is around two of my three Solar outputs. I am working on a relay and some way to charge an EV just from solar. Not a high priority right now with my large credit but perhaps useful to use my excess solar in the future. I have a rate structure (NEM 2.0) that has a small fee for net power I use from the grid so there is a small incentive for self consumption.

For real time monitoring of my utility meter I use a HAN device manufactured by Rainforest Automation that picks up the Zigbee signal from my utility meter. It gives me real time data on what is flowing into and out of my meter. I can also see historical trends. Not all utilities support HAN devices.

A few years ago I tried a pilot program with Southern California Edison using a separate meter for EV charging. That particular program did not consolidate my two meters and since I was overall running a credit it was not economical and I canelled it. I was out of pocket for the $45 cost of the meter and a couple months EV charging. My current EV rate from PG&E gives me a huge differential between super off peak and on peak.
        Last edited by Ampster; 01-02-2020, 07:22 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

1 $90.00

Comment

Working...
          X