X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob-n
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2019

An idea (humor)

This is my first winter with roof-mounted panels. We got 22" of snow this week and it's amazing seeing the snow avalanche off the panels, leaving clean panels that continue to produce. Just make sure you're not standing underneath when it breaks loose.

This got me thinking: forget about Tesla's solar roof tiles. What we need is solar driveway paving, so the snow slides right off the driveway and we don't have to shovel. OK, there are a few flaws in that idea, but after too many hours of shoveling, it sounded good at the time.

SheddedSnow.jpg
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Don't park your car in the driveway during Avalanche Hour !

Did you rake the panels clean, or did they melt off on their own ?

Uh oh - seeing the icicles above the 2nd floor windows, you may have bad attic insulation, and ice dams forming
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bob-n
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2019

I didn't rake the panels. The roof is 7/12 (30 degrees). The snow's own weight combined with sun and warm air was enough. Shallower roofs in the area don't shed as quickly.

Thanks for the tip on the roof. I've been up in the attic, and I think we're OK there, but I'll check again.

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

RE ice dams, go up in the attic and check with a flashlight that there is gap between the roof and insulation all the way down to the soffits all the way across the roof. It there isnt a gap you can slide "proper vents" down in the tight spot between the wall and the roof. If you have selective icicles in only certain areas, its usually a sign that there is some sort of gap in the attic insulation. Can lights are a frequent culprit as many cheap ones can not have insulation installed directly around them plus the heat melts the snow on the roof prematurely.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by bob-n
          This is my first winter with roof-mounted panels. We got 22" of snow this week and it's amazing seeing the snow avalanche off the panels, leaving clean panels that continue to produce. Just make sure you're not standing underneath when it breaks loose.

This got me thinking: forget about Tesla's solar roof tiles. What we need is solar driveway paving, so the snow slides right off the driveway and we don't have to shovel. OK, there are a few flaws in that idea, but after too many hours of shoveling, it sounded good at the time.
          I do not intend to spend more hours moving serious snow, this 4WD does it in minutes, and is
          a lot neater than a plow.

Sliding snow there looks dangerous. Ice sliding off my 2nd story metal shed did enough damage,
          this protective cover is needed. Bruce Roe

snow1Nov2618.png

15RLS3H9.JPG

Comment

• bob-n
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2019

Can you tell me more about your 4WD snow clearer? I use a 28" walk-behind snowblower. It works, but it is still a lot of work. Thanks.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by bob-n
              Can you tell me more about your 4WD snow clearer? I use a 28" walk-behind snowblower. It works, but it is still a lot of work. Thanks.
              The slopes on this lot exceed 10% grade, and basic stuff had traction problems. Finally
              I bought the smallest 4WD tractor I could find, that also had front and rear PTOs, this
              Simplicity with traction tires. It worked so well I did not even need chains, except they
              would help on ice. Drive shaft, no more burned out belts.

Available with diesel too, but they sent me a really crappy Asian source snow blower. I
              adapted my old 44 inch blower which works great. Bruce Roe

BloConv4.JPG

BloConv7.JPG

Comment

Working...