X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG&E TOU-A vs TOU-B

For those of you in California using PG&E, do we have a choice of TOU plans when going to NEM2? If so, which is best? I was on TOU-B before installing solar, which has peak from 4-9. But TOU-A has peak from 3-8 which is better for solar production. So was thinking TOU-A might be best. Could not get any answers from PG&E as they said they do not know.

It doesn't really matter since peak hours for E-TOU-A are being shifted to 4-9PM starting Jan 1 2020.
    https://www.pge.com/pge_global/commo...-use/ETOUA.pdf

Comment

Ugh. Too bad. But I wonder if they will grandfather people who were on E-TOU-A to keep the 3-8pm if they have solar? PG&E really is sticking it to us these days.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman2 View Post
        Ugh. Too bad. But I wonder if they will grandfather people who were on E-TOU-A to keep the 3-8pm if they have solar? PG&E really is sticking it to us these days.
        Unstick it some and stay away from use during peak time as much as possible. Or, better yet, the less you use the less you'll get it stuck to you.

FWIW, most of or probably more than you need to know is on the PG & E website.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

FWIW, most of or probably more than you need to know is on the PG & E website.
          Yes, and as we both probably know, that web site has been down since yesterday morning. Gotta love PGE.

Comment

Yes, and as we both probably know, that web site has been down since yesterday morning. Gotta love PGE.
            The website being down probably has to do with the power outages for that POCO.

Comment

I looked at it about 5 min. before my post advising you the info you wanted was on the PG & E website. I did so to make sure things hadn't changed since the last time I looked there and I'd wind up looking like an asshole. Honest.

Just checked again @ 1714 hrs. P.D.T. and it's still there. All you need or want to know is there. It just takes a bit of digging and some homework.

Google PG & E + tariffs. Start snooping and rooting around.

You'll need to compare your usage under each plan you're considering and decide which one(s) make the most sense to you both now and for future scenarios. To my experience, the POCO can sometimes be of limited help with that task.
              Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-10-2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

@J.P.M. please accept my apologies if I came across negatively towards you. I was just poking some fun at PG&E, Not at you in any way. Quite the opposite, I really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction. Thank you, sir!

Comment

@J.P.M. please accept my apologies if I came across negatively towards you. I was just poking some fun at PG&E, Not at you in any way. Quite the opposite, I really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction. Thank you, sir!
                  No apologies necessary or expected. Relax. As long as you have info and a direction, you're good to go, but you'll probably find you'll need to do most of the digging yourself.

To my experience the CA POCOs talk a helpful game on information, but the reality I've found is something different. I suspect the truth is closer to the idea that it's not in their best interest to be and helpful and ready to provide information. All the info I've ever wanted or needed is on the my POCO's (SDG & E) website. I've found the other CA IOU's sites to be the same, but some (or most) times it's a real slog to get at it. I've also found the phone contacts to be generally more than friendly, but hit/miss on knowledgeability. I've also found that courtesy, professionalism and persistence helps. Always get the name of who you're speaking with. It helps when you start climbing the chain of command looking for answers. Nothing can replace persistence.

I'd respectfully suggest you keep in mind that you are the only one responsible for getting the information you need in a way that's useful and understandable to you. POCOs have help and information. Getting and understanding it is your job.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Good luck

Comment

is E-TOU-B still open? the tariff document says there is an enrollment cap.

i guess i have to re-run my analysis - i didn't know the peak times for E-TOU were shifting (all i knew about was that EV2 would represent a shift vs EV). i had previously calculated that E-TOU-B would be better than E-TOU-A, which is in turn better than EV2 for my usage/generation.

Comment

I am currently on TOU-B before solar was installed. You are correct in that it is no longer allowed for new customers. I talked to my installer, and they recommended TOU-A for 2 reasons:

1) 3-8pm gives more sun that 4-9. Of course, with that changing, that is no longer valid
                      2) lower rates for baseline usage in TOU-A. It appears this will still hold true.

So I plan to change to TOU-A.
                      Last edited by blueman2; 10-14-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I daresay PG&E doesn't necessarily make it easy to find the most detailed information on their website. The rate comparison tool is actually great to compare your past usage across the various options, but doesn't help so much if you will have changes in usage behavior (solar, EV, batteries, timeshift loads).

The secret decoder ring to get the exact rates is Regulation, then Tariffs & Rates, then a few years ago they layered another link to the Tariffs library, then know that E- means typical residential rates.

With the shift in E-TOU-A to 4-9 pm peak, the main difference is A for baseline users, B or higher-than baseline users. Roughly the breakeven where it's a wash is around 160% of baseline each month. My rough guide for those who don't want to do the detailed calcs is, start with 0 points for each, then:
                        +1 point for A for solar users (not because of peak credits, which are mostly gone, but for lowering your baseline)
                        +1 point for A if you have a newer, energy efficient house

+1 point for B for each EV charging at home
                        +1 point for B if you run A/C more than 2 months out of the year
                        +1 point for B for a pool or hot tub
                        +1 point for B for more than 1 kid
                        +1 point for B if you run home servers 24x7

Results may vary

Comment

Working...
                        X