No announcement yet.

Any thoughts on this problem? I just can't win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really want the PoCo to fix the high voltage problem, because your household appliances are going to be operating out of spec, at high voltage, too. Shorter life for light bulbs, and all that stuff.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I am on the same utility as the OP (a sister co) and recent and ongoing grid system wide line upgrades like wise bumped up grid voltages here...I'm seeing consistently ~252 VAC for several months now here.
      I don't need any codes for my OB inverters. But, really never did any setting change either with them.

My 2 OB inverters are just one common 60 amp connection at the MDP point...
      Last edited by neweclipse; 09-22-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Ok so as an update the poco did come out, looked at the voltage (I guess) as far as I can tell didn't do anything. They did hook up my bidirectional meter so that's good.

I had undone my test wiring setup bc I thought it wasn't doing anything, apparently that was wrong. Putting the house loads in between the 2 inverter breakers seems to be helping. The way its installed atm is still within code!!. Anyways it seems I'm back to at least they're both operating around 6kw per inverter atm. I'm going to apply for a gridguard code. Probably take a few weeks to get but I'm fairly confident if I bump up the voltage a couple points over time as necessary I think I can get it to run correctly. But even though the system isn't running at full capacity it's still a horse. Yesterday the one inverter was down 80% of the day and I still produced 62kwh. Probably would have hit 100+ if the other inverter wasn't idle most of the day. Today both seem to be humming around 6kw max each, it's been overcast and clowdy. But I'm hopeful to get 60+ today. 60 is basically my target because that's what the house uses in a day roughly. But to get some kinda bank I need to do more than that obviously. I'm kinda screwed bc I missed out on the best months of the year to build a big bank. I'll still have to pay some this winter but it should still be somewhat less. The panels seem to be doing pretty good in crappy conditions. This morning was raining and cloudy and when the sun hit peak I was still doing like 5kwh total but for a crappy time of day I think that's pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Markyrocks69 View Post
          Putting the house loads in between the 2 inverter breakers seems to be helping.
          JMHO - but it seems more likely that fixing the loose connection you mentioned is what helped.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

JMHO - but it seems more likely that fixing the loose connection you mentioned is what helped.
            That may have been a contributing factor but I had went around, tightened up everything. Yesterday one inverter kept dropping out. Last night I put the wires back to the test configuration and everything worked fine albeit at reduced power.

Comment

Ok so as an update the poco did come out, looked at the voltage (I guess) as far as I can tell didn't do anything. They did hook up my bidirectional meter so that's good.

I had undone my test wiring setup bc I thought it wasn't doing anything, apparently that was wrong. Putting the house loads in between the 2 inverter breakers seems to be helping. The way its installed atm is still within code!!. Anyways it seems I'm back to at least they're both operating around 6kw per inverter atm. I'm going to apply for a gridguard code. Probably take a few weeks to get but I'm fairly confident if I bump up the voltage a couple points over time as necessary I think I can get it to run correctly. But even though the system isn't running at full capacity it's still a horse. Yesterday the one inverter was down 80% of the day and I still produced 62kwh. Probably would have hit 100+ if the other inverter wasn't idle most of the day. Today both seem to be humming around 6kw max each, it's been overcast and clowdy. But I'm hopeful to get 60+ today. 60 is basically my target because that's what the house uses in a day roughly. But to get some kinda bank I need to do more than that obviously. I'm kinda screwed bc I missed out on the best months of the year to build a big bank. I'll still have to pay some this winter but it should still be somewhat less. The panels seem to be doing pretty good in crappy conditions. This morning was raining and cloudy and when the sun hit peak I was still doing like 5kwh total but for a crappy time of day I think that's pretty good.
              Where were the breakers positioned originally? It is my understanding that they should be at the furthest point from the grid feed lines. If the grid comes in at the top of the breaker panel, the solar breakers should be at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Salts View Post

Where were the breakers positioned originally? It is my understanding that they should be at the furthest point from the grid feed lines. If the grid comes in at the top of the breaker panel, the solar breakers should be at the bottom.
                The breaker can go anywhere in a panel. Just depending on the position it changes the calculation to stay code compliant.

I talked about this test configuration b4. Here's the picturepictures I drew about it
                Attached Files

Comment

The breaker can go anywhere in a panel. Just depending on the position it changes the calculation to stay code compliant.

I talked about this test configuration b4. Here's the picturepictures I drew about it
                  Tried going back in the thread but didn't see the answers:

Which panel had the loose connection? Was the bad connection on the inverter that is tripping?
                  Which inverter is connected to the sub panel?

Comment

Tried going back in the thread but didn't see the answers:

Which panel had the loose connection? Was the bad connection on the inverter that is tripping?
                    Which inverter is connected to the sub panel?
                    Both inverters were connected to the subpanel initially. I'm not sure which one was loose but I may have bigger issues now. Opening a new topic about it

Comment

I hope for continuity, you eventually circle back and inform the readers how that voltage issue was resolved.
                      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

I still say to check the inverters by flopping them to see if the same one keep tripping. If its the same inverter, then the problem is with the inverter, if its the same position, then the problem is in the line. At least you'd then know what it is for sure.

Comment

I still say to check the inverters by flopping them to see if the same one keep tripping. If its the same inverter, then the problem is with the inverter, if its the same position, then the problem is in the line. At least you'd then know what it is for sure.
                          Well it seems like once I went through and tightened everything the inverters flip flopped. It may come down to that. I'll definitely update this when/if I ever get this solved

Comment

I still thing the extension cord test provided a clue to a solution but it sounded like it was not related to resistance. The different results from different size coils makes it more art than science. If this problem persists through the holidays you could consider decorating the coils with some holly. I wouldn't try tinsel.
                            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Well it seems like once I went through and tightened everything the inverters flip flopped. It may come down to that. I'll definitely update this when/if I ever get this solved
                              You're saying the inverter that was tripping is now fine and the other one started tripping? So which one is tripping now? The 150 ft or the 180 ft ?

Comment

You're saying the inverter that was tripping is now fine and the other one started tripping? So which one is tripping now? The 150 ft or the 180 ft ?
                                The one that is at 150ft is now tripping but its different. The one that is tripping now seems to have give the error... "Fault: act. power limitation activated w/o regard to own consumption" which I did turn the power down in the settings but both inverters are set the same. It will give that error, seemingly disconnect. Then attempts to reconnect and fails until whenever, cloud, magic, fairy dust, then it reconnects the for a few then disconnect again. Probably coinciding with my ac turning on and off or a combination of water heater and ac. But I don't have a clue why that error would pop up bc the other inverter is set exactly the same. Also idk why if it was hitting that limit why not just dial it back on it's own? For these things being super smart they don't seem that way.

it just feels like it's all or nothing, unless I'm teter tottering on the 10 min timeout voltage but what's beyond my mind is that this only happens during the absolute peak period of the day. Like after 2pm both inverters will ramp up to max and stay there until the sun goes down.

I just checked now and they are both going full blast at 6kw each. So unless the pv system 5 miles away is knocking me of when it's at peak. I bet that guy is jacked bc no doubt I'm doing the same thing to him
                                Last edited by Markyrocks69; 09-27-2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X