Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I take control of owned system installed by dealer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I take control of owned system installed by dealer?

I was going to do my own install, but ended up going with a local installer. LG335 panels with SolarEdge SE5000H (new one, no LCD display). I own the system. Will I be able to take control of the system using SetApp and be able to change configuration in the future (e.g. add additional panels myself if needed)? Or does SolarEdge somehow lock the owner out of the system config area? I asked my installer, but they were not really sure. They said they think once they register the serial number, it is permanently locked to them as the intaller and no one else can change config or add panels. That seemed odd, especially if the installer goes out of business in the future.
    Last edited by blueman2; 09-19-2019, 06:49 PM.

Originally posted by blueman2 View Post
    I was going to do my own install, but ended up going with a local installer. LG335 panels with SolarEdge SE5000H (new one, no LCD display). I own the system. Will I be able to take control of the system using SetApp and be able to change configuration in the future (e.g. add additional panels myself if needed)? Or does SolarEdge somehow lock the owner out of the system config area? I asked my installer, but they were not really sure.
    You own the system and you can do anything you want. Your installer would have to let you take over configuring the system and should probably tell you if their warranty would be voided by anything you do. You would have to email SolarEdge and get an installer account to be able to configure the system. The access is by serial number and that is why you would have to have the installer allow the transfer of that serial number to the new account that you would have to start with SolarEdge.

I had the opposite scenario. I Installed a system myself and got the installer login from SolarEdge. Then I had an installer put in another system at another location. but I registered the serial number on my account. That worked until the installer got the Permission to Operate and then I had to go to a new login to to view the system and I can't configure it. I have no need to configure because I don't want to mess with the warranty.
    Last edited by Ampster; 09-19-2019, 07:11 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Warranty. Good point. Forgot about that.

Comment

It is not permanently locked. You can creat an installer account and reregister the same serial number the layout will be lost though unless you write it down and reenter it.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Thanks ButchDeal and Ampster ! I already have an installer account since I was planning my own install, so that part is done. I will ask the installer if they are OK with me moving it over to my account. But I certainly understand that they might not support the warranty if I start adding my own panels. Not a big deal to me as I would normally go back to the hardware vendor myself anyway. I will just wait about 6 months to make sure all is working well with their install (such as any roof leaks!)

Again, thanks for the great advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
            It is not permanently locked. You can creat an installer account and reregister the same serial number the layout will be lost though unless you write it down and reenter it.
            I have a similar situation. The system was on my account but after the PTO the installer put it on their account. I tried reregistering it on my account but got an error message. I will probably have to ask the installer permission. If I do that I'm going to mak a copy of the Optimixer layout.

Comment

Shoulda went Enphase That's all there is to it, better engineering, better reliability and more technologically sound. Smart grid, off grid...it's coming IQ8 is the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Six4KilowWatt View Post
                Shoulda went Enphase That's all there is to it, better engineering, better reliability and more technologically sound. Smart grid, off grid...it's coming IQ8 is the real deal.
                I have a few IQ7s on some used 96 cell Sunpower panels. I also have some old Enphase M215 systems an a couple of roofs, two SolarEdge systems and a hybrid inverter running more used Sunpower panels. They are all the best. Opinions vary and needs vary. The best system is the one anyone has on their roof today. I think the Dalai Lama said the same thing about religion or philosophy.
                Last edited by Ampster; 09-27-2019, 11:27 PM. Reason: To correct description of IQ inverters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

I have a few IQ8s on some used 96 cell Sunpower panels. I also have some old Enphase M215 systems an a couple of roofs, two SolarEdge systems and a hybrid inverter running more used Sunpower panels. They are all the best. Opinions vary and needs vary. The best system is the one anyone has on their roof today. I think the Dalhi Lama said the same thing about religion or philosophy.
                  How did you acquire IQ8's? They aren't supposed to be unavailable in the US until later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

How did you acquire IQ8's? They aren't supposed to be unavailable in the US until later this year.
                    I may have been confused, I think I have IQ7-96 inverters. They changed the model number from IQ7-plus to IQ7-96xx. I can't keep track of the iterations. I will change my post. Thanks for the tip. I hope that did not detract from the point of my post, which was that choices are more about what works for the user. We are fortunate to have a lot of good choices. Knowing which choice is best depends a lot on the situation of a particular install. NEC rules about Rapid Shut Down have made the economics more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Six4KilowWatt View Post
                      With all the mistakes their marketing and engineering made already, I'm not sure I am trusting them to do better, that's going to take "proof", not your opinion .
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

I may have been confused, I think I have IQ7-96 inverters. They changed the model number from IQ7-plus to IQ7-96xx. I can't keep track of the iterations. I will change my post. Thanks for the tip. I hope that did not detract from the point of my post, which was that choices are more about what works for the user. We are fortunate to have a lot of good choices. Knowing which choice is best depends a lot on the situation of a particular install. NEC rules about Rapid Shut Down have made the economics more complicated.
                        Thanks for the clarification. I was approached by a solar installer and they were excited about the IQ8 but also disappointed because it was not available yet. Based on what they said the IQ8 works like a hybrid inverter and allow a solar pv system to generate even though the grid was down.

Unfortunately the system they were proposing was still around $2.60/watt after all rebates which would put it in the 14 year payback area for me.

Comment

Well, I finally got my system installed and received PTO. I have an admin account with SolarEdge, but when I try to register my inverter I get an error message saying the inverter is already in use by another account. My installer said they know of no way to release the serial number, so I am out of luck in terms of being able to have full control of my system?

Comment

Originally posted by blueman2 View Post
                            Well, I finally got my system installed and received PTO. I have an admin account with SolarEdge, but when I try to register my inverter I get an error message saying the inverter is already in use by another account. My installer said they know of no way to release the serial number, so I am out of luck in terms of being able to have full control of my system?
                            That sounds like BS. I had my system on my account until the installer took it over. I wasn't asked for permission so they must have got SolarEdge to release it. Probably not hard for the installer to do because they purchased the inverter from SolarEdge or a distributor.

Comment

Working...
                            X