X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markyrocks69
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2019

What stands out to me is the price tag... geez save yourself 15-20 grand and do it yourself. If you built the shop and wired it you should be fine. Even if you hired a laborer or 2 for a few days and an electrician to do some stuff you still be into big savings . Also if you're considering putting in more panels later up the inverters to the 7600.

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by billmoody1
      this solar is one of the few things I'll let someone do for me- I'm mostly a diy guy
      I'll second that it's quite doable as a DIY project.

I did my 8.96kW install as a DIY.

Not knowing your shed or your skills, I won't fault you if you decide to hire someone.
      I would ask myself two questions.
      1> Am I comfortable being up on that roof and moving around with a 40 lb, 5-foot by 3.5-foot module.
      2> Am I comfortable with the electrical side of things? (Can I learn the rules about grounding/bonding? Is installing a breaker in a breaker box something I'm OK with?)

FWIW, I started out with looking at microinverters - but by the time I was ready to submit plans and make purchases I had decided to go with solaredge system (mostly due to price, but also I looked at my guess about microinverter vs. optimizer longevity. I also considered string, but guesstimated that shading and multiple orientations meant I'd be better off with Solaredge or enphase)

I think $2.66/W is a reasonable price.
      I'd check that the 96-cell panels have a compatible optimizer since you're doing Solaredge.

Good luck.

Comment

• billmoody1
        • Oct 2016

foo1bar- thanks for the reply- I do hate hiring someone else but at 68 yrs old I'm getting cautious of being 15 to 25 feet up in the air-- and if I hired some laborers I'd be scared of lawsuits if they fell off. My contractor is license bonded electrical contractor who also does a lot of solar.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by billmoody1
          at 68 yrs old I'm getting cautious of being 15 to 25 feet up in the air
          That is a good reason for building a ground mount. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...