X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

And then there are the "unintended consequences" of conservation. Not enough $ coming in to pay for the overhead, so rates have to go up, and let's stick it to the solar folks (they are the rich ones) that can afford it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• khanh dam
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2019

yes Personally I think mandating more efficient insulation, AC seer values, ductwork in conditioned spaces, white roofs in hot climates is money better spent vs adding solar.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

For some the reason to go solar, is to allow an increase in energy use. Bruce Roe

Comment

• azdave
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          Conservation measures do reduce use no question. However, some to most of the benefit is often lost when the more draconian effects of the former high electric bills are removed by the better efficiency attained by conservation and by alternate energy generation.
          Silly humans and their illusions of saving. Put in a low-flow shower head and humans will take longer showers. Engineer a car with increased fuel economy and humans will move further from work and increase their daily commute. Sell a widget at WalMart for three cents less than Target and people will drive 5 miles extra to get that lowest price. Put solar panels on the roof and electric consumption goes up. Go figure.
          Dave W. Gilbert AZ
          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by azdave

Silly humans and their illusions of saving. Put in a low-flow shower head and humans will take longer showers. Engineer a car with increased fuel economy and humans will move further from work and increase their daily commute. Sell a widget at WalMart for three cents less than Target and people will drive 5 miles extra to get that lowest price. Put solar panels on the roof and electric consumption goes up. Go figure.
            Yea. Human's are sometimes their own worst enemies.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by khanh dam
              yes Personally I think mandating more efficient insulation, AC seer values, ductwork in conditioned spaces, white roofs in hot climates is money better spent vs adding solar.
              Not using something is almost always less costly than getting more of it. That's a lot of the reason why lifestyle adjustments leading to use reduction and then conservation measures such as insulation are almost always less costly than throwing PV at a self inflicted high electric bill, which is about the most expensive way to go about bill reduction.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
                For some the reason to go solar, is to allow an increase in energy use. Bruce Roe
                It most certainly is, and hail the freedom to make that choice. It's about lifestyle choices. But all choices have associated costs. Example: Living in San Diego costs me more than living in Buffalo, but I pay my money, take my choice and don't whine about what was and remains a free choice.

Rant mode on.

After speaking with and to many folks however, my suspicion is that for most folks, most of the increase in energy use after adding PV is due more, but not entirely, to ignorance born of mental and physical laziness than a conscious decision to pay a lot of upfront money to be able to be do more with electricity. To my experience, while there are some who do indeed make the choice you describe, for most it's done not so much as a willful, thought out decision as much as it's a headlong, near panic rush from self inflicted high energy bills with added push provided by the PV conmen and shills and their mostly energy ignorant treehugger shills.

Rant mode off.

Comment

• DrLumen
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2017

We are guilty of using more since having solar installed. I don't do it much but I will sneak the t-stat down a couple of degrees. DW, sometimes come back behind me and sneaks it back up but...

By the same token we have shifted some power use to the middle of the day so we can consume what is generated instead of buying power at night.

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

The initial reasons to go PV solar, and the long term results would make quite a study, the
                    players here not being particularly representative of the public. But being able to knock
                    heating/cooling and electricity completely off the monthly costs (no straining to conserve
                    more) feels pretty good, elimination of the gas bill with all its extra fees. Monthly electric
                    remains here, though no energy is purchased. I admit to $90 annual propane tank rental.
                    Bruce Roe

Comment

• jflorey2
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by azdave
                      Will requiring solar panels on new buildings reduce their overall cost?

I doubt it. How often do you see a purchase mandated by law become cheaper for the customer than before when they had a choice?
                      Catalytic converters. Airbags. Fuel injection. (to name three)

Comment

• ButchDeal
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jflorey2
                        Catalytic converters. Airbags. Fuel injection. (to name three)
                        fuel injection and catalytic converters are not mandated. The government mandated fuel efficiency levels and emission standards. The primary means to get those results was catalytic converters and fuel injection.

these would be good examples if the requirement was to have a certain level of efficiency in the home not to require solar on them. Solar COULD be a solution but so could more insulation, more efficient heat pump etc.
                        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jflorey2
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                          fuel injection and catalytic converters are not mandated. The government mandated fuel efficiency levels and emission standards. The primary means to get those results was catalytic converters and fuel injection.
                          Right. That had the effect of mandating those things - and prices for them dropped as most cars started requiring them.

Requiring solar for housing will drive down prices for those systems,, in the same way that a builder reduces construction cost on subdivision homes by building 240 at once.

(That being said, I think that mandating solar on homes is a terrible idea, and will have a lot of unintended consequences.)

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

Right. That had the effect of mandating those things - and prices for them dropped as most cars started requiring them.

Requiring solar for housing will drive down prices for those systems,, in the same way that a builder reduces construction cost on subdivision homes by building 240 at once.

(That being said, I think that mandating solar on homes is a terrible idea, and will have a lot of unintended consequences.)

You miss the point. The government did not mandate fuel injection and cats on cars, they mandated efficiency and lower emissions. Car companies tried different things like air injection into the exhaust etc. the fuel injection and catalytic converters is what you now see as the leading issue that solved it but other things came into play as well like overhead cams, electronic timing, more efficient automatic transmissions, CV joints replacing U-joints, front wheel drive, lighter unibody cars, aluminum engines, plastic parts, etc. etc. etc.

if you want more efficient homes then mandate THAT and let builders do different things including add solar.
                            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Ampster
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2017

...Requiring solar for housing will drive down prices for those systems,, in the same way that a builder reduces construction cost on subdivision homes by building 240 at once.

One of those consequences will be community solar or some other mechanism purchased by a builder and assigned to buildings that can't put much solar on their roof. It could be a good thing or it could end up like solar roof leasing. Too soon to tell.
                              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• jflorey2
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                                You miss the point. The government did not mandate fuel injection and cats on cars, they mandated efficiency and lower emissions. Car companies tried different things like air injection into the exhaust etc. the fuel injection and catalytic converters is what you now see as the leading issue that solved it but other things came into play as well like overhead cams, electronic timing, more efficient automatic transmissions, CV joints replacing U-joints, front wheel drive, lighter unibody cars, aluminum engines, plastic parts, etc. etc. etc.
                                I am not arguing that how the government is doing this is wise. It is not.

I am arguing that emissions requirements effectively mandated catalytic converters. Car companies said that would bankrupt them. However, once most cars needed one, prices dropped dramatically. The same will happen with solar. That's it.

Comment

Working...