This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john p View Post
    IT very very very unlikely she has ever made anything from the instructions from those books.
    If she attempted it she would soon stop promoting them as she would find either its close to impossible or far far more expensive then they tell you

Comment

MILLENIA Im sure we would all love to see photos of the inverter and charge controller.. especially photos of the insides..ie parts on the circuit boards.. Also can you be kind enpough to publish on here the specs of the inverter and charge controller.
      And the total cost of all the parts..
      As an electronics tech for almost 50 yrs I have trouble believing you can make at home and inverter and charge controler fore less than a bought one..

It takes some mechanical capability, which is not uncommonTHATS ALL YOU NEED TO DESIGN AN INVERTER AND A CHARGE CONTROLLER..???? no electronics skills ?????.. wow..

Comment

Originally posted by millenia View Post
        I decided to build everything myself, from ALU frame, wiring the cells, encapsulation and so on including my own inverter and charge controller.
        You live in a suburb of Los Angeles CA where building codes are the most strict in the world and enforced right?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Home brew

Originally posted by john p View Post
          MILLENIA Im sure we would all love to see photos of the inverter and charge controller.. especially photos of the insides..ie parts on the circuit boards.. Also can you be kind enpough to publish on here the specs of the inverter and charge controller.
          And the total cost of all the parts..
          As an electronics tech for almost 50 yrs I have trouble believing you can make at home and inverter and charge controler fore less than a bought one..

It takes some mechanical capability, which is not uncommonTHATS ALL YOU NEED TO DESIGN AN INVERTER AND A CHARGE CONTROLLER..???? no electronics skills ?????.. wow..
          Actually I did not intend to say that building the electronics will be cheaper. You cant do that with low volume. None the less, that is what I want to do. I have not done so yet since I am bussy with the panels now.
          As to the solar panel.. I think there are plenty of clever people out there that can do a fine job of it. I would not minimize their talents. Can anyone build it.. perhaps not.
          I certainly intend to post data as it becomes available, after I tested it.

Comment

MILENNIA. I believe man will be living on Mars over long before you end up designing and making a charge controller and inverter.(And im talking about useful devices NOT a .5 a controller and a 5 watt inverter.. Unless you have years of circuit design and layout skills you are never going to design a construct an inverter,, it takes years of experience to work with 4 layer circuit boards.. then there is the surface mount components to contend with.. if you really have that much tallent to do it why you not work for SMA or Ferionius ?

Comment

I know what you mean about marketers just wanting to get money....

So basically you have people who have money to write a salesletter, spend money on that anywhere from $500 to $6000 dollars a copy, then a designer anywhere from $100-1000 dollars and then hosting $4 dollars per month, then banner creation if the designer didnt do it, anywhere from 25 to 100 dollars. Then they have to actually develop the product, ebooks, videos, retakes, reshoots, then editing the video, adding slideshows,etc,etc. That could cost anywhere from 600 to $2500 dollars.

Well what we have here is a big waste of time. Not to mention the keyword research, domain registration, etc.

They could instead become a manufacturer and create real solar panel for consumers and have a long term stable business and make millions and be honored for great products.

hmmm...why do they use their knowledge for wrong, are they not saved? Are they smart enough to do these things but not try to do the right things, we all make mistakes but if you can put all of this together for some crap product then i wish you stop and really start a long term company.

You could even create a non profit, off shore most of it, create a product creation service company. Then make money and save from being taxed to death..

I guess we all make mistakes in life, but if you have and you know it, and you are reading this, then please wake up and realize you can make good money.

Also the green friendly and solar industry is meant for a real change with great opportunities for EVERYONE from your employees to your biz owners to everyone.

Let's all forgive forget and forward with the right attitude and the correct action!

Comment

Thanks for bringing back to topic

Comment

Are they not saved? Are they smart enough to do these things but not try to do the right things, we all make mistakes but if you can put all of this together for some crap product then i wish you stop and really start a long term company.
                  Last edited by russ; 02-07-2011, 02:46 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

diy books

i dont have access to the internet year around and i was actually thinking about buying one of these books tell i seen this post. But if i were to purcahse one so i would have some info on the solar systems which one is the best? The reason why is because i would like to have some info on it during the summer when i dont have access to the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by waceycornia View Post
                      i dont have access to the internet year around and i was actually thinking about buying one of these books tell i seen this post. But if i were to purcahse one so i would have some info on the solar systems which one is the best? The reason why is because i would like to have some info on it during the summer when i dont have access to the internet.
                      I think hanging out on some solar forums (like this one) will trigger questions and answers for you. You will get to know some folks know what they are talking about, and some spout nonsense. (but if you find a moderator spouting nonsense - ask again, and type slower, so we will know you are newer here) Once you get the knack of the lingo, it goes better too.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

One book recommendation is in the following thread

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...ighlight=books

I will look for others

Russ

www.homepower.com magazine is quite good (costs but is among the best)

www.solartoday.org has a good magazine (free I believe)
                        Last edited by russ; 02-24-2011, 02:39 AM. Reason: added
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Bob View Post
                          There's actually a lot of good information in those DIY ebooks, but the claim you can go off the grid for $200.00, and it's simple to do so, is utterly ridiculous. I bought one (earth4energy I think) and some good info in there, but most of that info is available freely on the net anyways, for anyone willing to do some hunting about. Google is your friend. Also searching on youtube can be helpful too. Lots of DIY solar and wind project vids on youtube.
                          The DIY was worth it to me because you can get so lost going through google. Its either over simplified or over engineered. This explained it well to an idiot like me who didn't have an ounce of training in this area. And it was very direct so I didn't spend a bunch of time digging through garbage. I feel like I sound like advertising, but it really is a well written instructional document that helped me do this. As for the other ones, they just felt scammy when I read about them.

Comment

You have never purchased the product!

Funny how people are ready to spew out poison and false claims on products they never used.
                            Earth 4 Energy is an incredible e-book that show step by step videos on how build to a solar panel( this is one solar panel for less than $200).

I recommend this e-book. A few people said the purchased Earth 4 Energy on this post either they did not open it or could not understand the easy step by step instructions. Popular Mechanics and Popular Science featured Earth 4 Energy. These magazines do not feature junk.

If you want to research and spend hours of time putting together the material Earth 4 Energy has put together for you in this e-book. Then yes you could probably after many weeks or months of research find exactly what you need, but like people who started this post has spewed out poison and deception, I would say its hard to trust if your research would be accurate.

I have successfully been a good student of Earth 4 Energy and built my solar panels. I recommend this e-book to anyone who would love the enjoyment of building a solar panel and seeing it work for you. Its easy for anyone to do if you click on the e-book and open it up, or take the long road of researching and proving your research time and time again until you get it right.

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by fatherhnds View Post
                              Earth 4 Energy is an incredible e-book that show step by step videos on how build to a solar panel( this is one solar panel for less than $200).
                              Say good night Jimmy, you lost any credibility here.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by fatherhnds View Post
                                Earth 4 Energy is an incredible e-book that show step by step videos on how build to a solar panel( this is one solar panel for less than $200). ..........
                                How many watts do they promise for that $200 ?? Most of the ads state "run your house with a $200 PV panel. You might barely run a small cabin lighting system for that.

A conservative guess is a house in a mild climate (So. Calif.) needs about 5,000w of PV power, with a grid tie setup, to be "neutral" [ about 75% efficient, total system ]. If the $200 panel produces 100w, you need 50 panels, with a cost of $10,000 for the PV only. Then you have racks, wires, and inverter to purchase, and install. And that nagging guy from the city, wanting to inspect it. And the electric company coming around to pull your meter out, and cut you off, when they discover an un-lawful generator connection. And your insurance company cancels your homeowners insurance because of non-certified electrical "appliances"

The scam is not about building a $200 panel, it's about realistically expecting it ($200) to supply household power, without a LOT more expenses.

Building a DIY panel for a light in a garden shed, or a camping trip is reasonable and a great learning experience, but for home scale, it's not realistic.
                                Last edited by Mike90250; 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM.
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                                X