X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dmage
    And after chatting with SolarEdge - they skipped over firmware updates and went straight to RMA on the inverter.
    Part of my beef w/SolarEdge (but not all of it) is that less complicated systems will have fewer problems than seem to get related around here.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.

IMO, and to my experience, that you checked your output makes you the exception.

As for the alerts not sent, Q.E.D.
      Original installer is gone and they never set up monitoring...
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Hah, the system at my old house had three optimizers fail within two years, all repaired by the original installer under warranty at least. However, they never sent alerts and had it not been for me monitoring the panel level outputs, would have not been caught and repaired (at least quickly).
        They did send alerts to the installer . Installer might have ignored the, but solaredge sends alerts by default on equipment with no production...

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Markyrocks69
          I'm just thinking that this system obviously was functional at one point so the settings in the inverter shouldn't be a problem, and that unless the thing updates automatically I'd assume that the firmware was what was on the unit when it came out the box unless the installer updated it. He didn't even connect it to the internet so I'd say that's doubtful. That's why I kinda ruled that stuff out. But by all means explore all possibilities.
          We have seen the settings be right or ok with the grid but years latte the grid paramiters change locally and you get inverters that go down a lot. This is the case for inverters that implemented some early grid frequency interaction not limited to solaredge ( though they and enphase were the first to implement).
          Both will auto upgrade if they are particular versions but in this case the inverter was not connected to monitoring and was then manually upgraded still without monitoring, then attached to internet...

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

For the question earlier regarding the DC voltage chart, here is todays to provide visibility to the system starting up and shutting down the inverters.
            Yeah that is too high for an "A" series inverter. Looks like it has the wrong firmware for the control board.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

And after chatting with SolarEdge - they skipped over firmware updates and went straight to RMA on the inverter.
              Likely they will send an hdwave inverter out. Are they contacting an installer or expecting you ( registered installer ) to handle install. Install should be covered under warranty. Make sure that they go into monitoring and replace the inverter serial number instead of setting up a new system so you keep past production data.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Original installer is gone and they never set up monitoring...
                Understood. But that also may say something about the general level of users' concern or basic product knowledge of what they bought when, as perhaps in this case, one of the big selling points of SolarEdge is panel level, or any monitoring and the original user (apparently) either didn't know about it or didn't care. Not much help if it's generally ignored and maybe in such (common ?) situations not worth the increased probability for problems the added complexity creates.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Understood. But that also may say something about the general level of users' concern or basic product knowledge of what they bought when, as perhaps in this case, one of the big selling points of SolarEdge is panel level, or any monitoring and the original user (apparently) either didn't know about it or didn't care. Not much help if it's generally ignored and maybe in such (common ?) situations not worth the increased probability for problems the added complexity creates.
                  Interesting though that you have stated before that monitoring is not worth it...
                  in this case the monitoring ( connection) would have prevented the problem with automatic update, though new user would have to get access..

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Interesting though that you have stated before that monitoring is not worth it...
                    in this case the monitoring ( connection) would have prevented the problem with automatic update, though new user would have to get access..
                    My point in that last post was to point out an example that most users don't know what they own or how it operates, making it of no value to such owners over and above any other problems such added system complexity may do to reduce reliability.

Simpler systems fit for purpose are more reliable. More system complication for features not needed or understood causes unnecessary problems as perhaps evidenced by all the posts around here relating to SolarEdge (perceived) problems, and a casual reader of this forum doesn't need to be technically astute to see it.
                    Last edited by J.P.M.; 06-27-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• emartin00
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Likely they will send an hdwave inverter out. Are they contacting an installer or expecting you ( registered installer ) to handle install. Install should be covered under warranty. Make sure that they go into monitoring and replace the inverter serial number instead of setting up a new system so you keep past production data.
                      Not likely. I just replaced my the SE6000US at my parent's house under warranty. They sent another SE6000US, not the HD wave. Not sure if it was refurb or leftover stock.

Comment

• CycloneFW
                        • Jul 2020

I understand this thread is over a year old, but I’m curious if dmage ever got the system working with the replacement inverter?

Comment

Working...