X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NooB with Fresh Solar Install Questions

I am very new to solar 6/15/19 install date and I thought I did my research until I found this site. Of course after installation was completed.

My System:
    System Name on PV Outputs Martin Manor
    9.45w
    Solar Edge SE7600 - HD Wave
    30 Hanwha Q-Cells 315w
    100 amp panel
    Titt 21
    Azimuth 180
    Zip 23324

1) Clipping Question - I did read entire post from ( Question about SolarEdge inverter sizing and clipping) however the numbers got way over my head. I know it would have cost me way to much money to upgrade to 10kw Solaredge Inverter as i do not have a panel that can handle it. So my question about clipping is my loss enough to care that I put 315w on and how much am I losing?

2) I also read that you can get consumption numbers from a meter. I took off the top panel on the inverter and I'm not seeing any room for the SolarEdge Energy Meter. Is there another way to obtain this information?

Thanks for the information from the other post and tip about PV Outputs Site very informative. Of course the simple to you numbers was like trying to read Klingon; so if you help me with the clipping question take it easy on me

Originally posted by nvrnugh View Post
    I am very new to solar 6/15/19 install date and I thought I did my research until I found this site. Of course after installation was completed.

My System:
    System Name on PV Outputs Martin Manor
    9.45w
    Solar Edge SE7600 - HD Wave
    30 Hanwha Q-Cells 315w
    100 amp panel
    Titt 21
    Azimuth 180
    Zip 23324

1) Clipping Question - I did read entire post from ( Question about SolarEdge inverter sizing and clipping) however the numbers got way over my head. I know it would have cost me way to much money to upgrade to 10kw Solaredge Inverter as i do not have a panel that can handle it. So my question about clipping is my loss enough to care that I put 315w on and how much am I losing?

2) I also read that you can get consumption numbers from a meter. I took off the top panel on the inverter and I'm not seeing any room for the SolarEdge Energy Meter. Is there another way to obtain this information?

Thanks for the information from the other post and tip about PV Outputs Site very informative. Of course the simple to you numbers was like trying to read Klingon; so if you help me with the clipping question take it easy on me
    Not sure on #2 but in regards to #1 depending on your location I would be surprised if you see much clipping at all. 1.24 is not a large oversize ratio. I have 10.7 on a 8kW inverter. You can play with PV Watts to model how much energy you 'lose'. Under 'Advanced Parameters' you can change your DC:AC ratio.

Comment

You will have some clipping. How much will depend in shadows etc. your MSP size of 100a does not preclude you going to a larger inverter as you could get what is called a line side tap. This does cost a little more though. I would also check your azimuth, anyone that claims to have rooftop and 180 degree azimuth is usually fudging in the number and/or using magnetic instead if true heading.

Yes you can get a consumption meter and have it added. It does not go inside the inverter or disconnect cabinet though but would be installed near your MSP,

Also your system size is 9.45kW not watt
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Blah thanks on the kW, I also misspelled tilt.

I do have shading from 2 story house. The peak comes down on a few panels as the sun moves. Glad my clipping is small enough.

I got the azimuth from Solaredge monitoring site as I have NO clue about it or tilt. I assume the installers put that in the site.

Thanks about meter I thought it went in the inverter. I will look more into it they must make different ones.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Sorry if I misspelled more on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by nvrnugh View Post
          Blah thanks on the kW, I also misspelled tilt.

I do have shading from 2 story house. The peak comes down on a few panels as the sun moves. Glad my clipping is small enough.

I got the azimuth from Solaredge monitoring site as I have NO clue about it or tilt. I assume the installers put that in the site.

Thanks about meter I thought it went in the inverter. I will look more into it they must make different ones.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Sorry if I misspelled more on my phone.
          The revenue grade meter goes inside but it can not be added, only the consumption meter can be added but it doesn't go inside the inverter.

i would check the azimuth yourself. Set your smart phone to report true azimuth or look at google maps ( pretty close).

If you have shadows i wouldn't worry too much about clipping. You can see the clipping in your monitoring as well, it should be at about 7.6kw on the total production graphs
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Why all the fuss about clipping? If you have some occasional clipping then you have higher output during the other times of the day, so much better than if there were never any clipping...if wrong please enlighten...
            Bigger = More and Smaller = Less
            Last edited by neweclipse; 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by neweclipse View Post
              Why all the fuss about clipping? If you have some occasional clipping then you have higher output during the other times of the day, so much better than if there were never any clipping...if wrong please enlighten...
              Bigger = More and Smaller = Less
              Some clipping is ok, but you have to figure out the cost benefit of the clipping. In this case I think the clipping is fine. The panel can only handle a 7.6 kW inverter and a 1.24 DC:AC ratio is not horrible. If all those panels are facing South with no shade, you will be putting a strain on the inverter for many hours a day. Time will tell how the SE7600 inverter will hold up to being strained in this fashion. My installer thought putting 11.25 kW on a SE7600 was ok. Clipping five hours a day is not what you want your system doing.

Comment

If you want to trade the clipping for less power but over longer hours, consider starting to
                orient 2 groups of panels somewhat east and west. Usually practical on a ground mount.
                Bruce Roe

Comment

Or you can get a larger inverter and upgrade your main panel to 300A service. But for that cost, I'd live with a bit of clipping.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

All good replies,
                    But in my case I set my max output setting in my charge controller and never worry about force feeding my inverter...thought everybody else could do the same...get a lot more production on cloudy days with this setup...no worries on clipping.

If you don't have shading or clouds, then maybe not so good....whatever works for ya!
                    Last edited by neweclipse; 06-26-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I do have shading from 2 story house next door. The peak hits my panels as the sun comes over. No trees and all panels facing true south. So thinking after responses that clipping is ok.

​Thanks for your responses.

Still researching consumption meter with CT clamps. So much information that I had no clue about but going to learn as I go!

Comment

Working...
                      X