Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Question: Where did the electricity cost the TeslaFi uses come from ? Looks like ~ $0.151/kWh or so. Just curious.
    I added an identical 200A box like yours, pretty slick compared to my original though both
    are QO compatible. The original box feeds a 125A circuit over to the new box, passing
    through this bi directional spinning disk meter to keep track of my net metering surplus
    day by day if needed. All the heavy KWH users and my solar feed through them. The original
    box feeds mostly lots of outlets and lights that are rarely used, so that tiny consumption does
    not show up on my reserve meter (but can be estimated and subtracted).

I needed the new box for more double breaker positions for conversion to mini split heat pumps,
    for the reserve monitor, to reduce solar feed loss (1/0 replaces 4 gauge in the house), and
    to clean up some other loose ends. Bruce Roe

HVACPCbox7Sep18.JPG

BiDirMtr.JPG
    Last edited by bcroe; 06-03-2019, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Question: Where did the electricity cost the TeslaFi uses come from ? Looks like ~ $0.151/kWh or so. Just curious.
    It's user inputed in the settings. I've been averaging about 6-months of bills at a time when I update it...close enough in my book. And you're correct, currently listed at $0.1432 in my settings. There is also some error factor and missing data points occasionally I've noted.

My most recent vehicle prior to the Tesla was a 2015 Chrysler 300S Hemi...besides the rear legroom the 300 has nothing on the Model 3 LR and the operating cost per mile is about 1/3 or about 4-cent per mile.
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Yes, all of my data (prod and consumption) gets pushed to PVOutput by way of the SE portal API.

TeslaFi looks very cool! Sadly, I haven't ordered my Tesla yet. Still waiting for my Prius to die (and for Level 5 autonomy).

Which L2 do you use? Something from Tesla or third party?

Recommendations?
    L2 as in Level 2 charger?

I use the included Tesla Corded Mobile Connector (CMC) at home direct on my NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit in the garage.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product...connector.html

The CMC is software limited to 32A now, which gets me about 30-31mi of range per hour on the 240v outlet. More than enough for 95% of people IMO, but the Tesla Wall Charger (HPWC) will do up to 48A for those heavy commuters.

To date since last July and 8,200mi later, I have never NEEDED to charge out on the road, only tested it twice at a Tesla SuperCharger for fun. In fact my CMC has never left the garage, I just leave it there plugged in because the SuperCharger network is more than adequate in this area if needed in a pinch. Round trips to NYC, north Jersey, Poconos, etc. and the lowest dipped into the "tank" was 40mi. remaining.
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-03-2019, 01:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

Yes, I'm definitely planning on keeping the inverter and revenue meter in the basement barring any major complications or costs.

My main panel (basement) was upgraded from a 150A to 200A last year when I had my NEMA 14-50 charging outlet installed in the garage, so its' new and pretty neat with space to spare both inside and on the nearby wall. Before and After Shown*

IMG_0276.JPGIMG_2590.JPG IMG_0091.jpg

I like the idea of the consumption meter, just not the cost via GPE, so we'll see down the road, but at least I know it's an option as a DYI. Bottom line in my mind is just that consumption is consumption whether I see it or not, so my money and time might just be better spent reducing my usage where I can through energy efficiency upgrades and vigilance (turning things off) vs. just watching/tracking it in real time.

Thanks for your experience with your SREC trades and website used. I had bookmarked that site already in my research phase and it seem easy enough. I will likely follow your habits and trade as soon as generated while applying the revenue directly to the system payments. I like this no fee option too and I guess it varies from the previously mentioned exchange only in that there is no direct deposit option?

Question about the PVoutput site... so I've registered and donated just to get the ball rolling. I'm guessing I can input my to--be-built system details, and I see there is an option to even list in detail seperate arrays since i'll have 3 total. But overall, all data is basically fed to the system via your SolarEdge API correct?

I'm familiar with a similar setup with my Model 3 where I access my Tesla API via TeslaFi to generate all sorts or tracking and efficiency reports, example shown below.

IMG_1167.PNG

Leave a comment:

• JSchnee21
    replied
    Yes, all of my data (prod and consumption) gets pushed to PVOutput by way of the SE portal API.

TeslaFi looks very cool! Sadly, I haven't ordered my Tesla yet. Still waiting for my Prius to die (and for Level 5 autonomy).

Which L2 do you use? Something from Tesla or third party?

Recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by macaddict View Post
    I would suggest installing the inverter next to your circuit breaker box. For me, that means the basement. It doesn't really put out any noise or heat. You can see my setup on post #6 here https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...lation-picture

I installed my consumption meter myself, bought it for $25 from someone on eBay, I think an installer that went belly up. I'm pretty good with electrical wiring so it wasn't too bad for me. If you've added a new circuit (wiring, breaker, etc) to your main panel, you should be able to install the consumption meter yourself. I'd definitely suggest having one. Makes the monitoring 1000 times better. It is really cool turning on an appliance and seeing the consumption going up instantly.

In terms of srecs, I diligently sell them using njsrec dot com as soon as they are created. I get a check within 2 days and they get put towards the solar loan.
    Yes, I'm definitely planning on keeping the inverter and revenue meter in the basement barring any major complications or costs.

My main panel (basement) was upgraded from a 150A to 200A last year when I had my NEMA 14-50 charging outlet installed in the garage, so its' new and pretty neat with space to spare both inside and on the nearby wall. Before and After Shown*

IMG_0276.JPGIMG_2590.JPG IMG_0091.jpg

I like the idea of the consumption meter, just not the cost via GPE, so we'll see down the road, but at least I know it's an option as a DYI. Bottom line in my mind is just that consumption is consumption whether I see it or not, so my money and time might just be better spent reducing my usage where I can through energy efficiency upgrades and vigilance (turning things off) vs. just watching/tracking it in real time.

Thanks for your experience with your SREC trades and website used. I had bookmarked that site already in my research phase and it seem easy enough. I will likely follow your habits and trade as soon as generated while applying the revenue directly to the system payments. I like this no fee option too and I guess it varies from the previously mentioned exchange only in that there is no direct deposit option?

Question about the PVoutput site... so I've registered and donated just to get the ball rolling. I'm guessing I can input my to--be-built system details, and I see there is an option to even list in detail seperate arrays since i'll have 3 total. But overall, all data is basically fed to the system via your SolarEdge API correct?

I'm familiar with a similar setup with my Model 3 where I access my Tesla API via TeslaFi to generate all sorts or tracking and efficiency reports, example shown below.

IMG_1167.PNG
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JSchnee21
    replied
    Hello @malba2366,

While I do not dispute your claim, do you have any evidence to back it up? SREC prices in NJ have been volatile over the last decade to be sure. As with any artificial market, without periodic legislation to increase demand, pricing stagnates (and eventually falls) as supply increases. So far, I've been fortunate to signup while 15 yrs of SRECs were still it force (now its only 10 for new customers). And SREC pricing since I started earning them (June 2017) has been uncharacteristically stable and fairly high.

We'll see what the new legislation from 2018 has in store. They're certainly taking their sweet time with the changes. Guess they've been smoking too much "medical" MJ. (-:

If NJ ends up effectively killing SRECs and eventually net metering, it will be a real black eye to one of the premier renewable programs in the country. And put a lot of NJ installers out of business.

Leave a comment:

• macaddict
    replied
    I would suggest installing the inverter next to your circuit breaker box. For me, that means the basement. It doesn't really put out any noise or heat. You can see my setup on post #6 here https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...lation-picture

I installed my consumption meter myself, bought it for $25 from someone on eBay, I think an installer that went belly up. I'm pretty good with electrical wiring so it wasn't too bad for me. If you've added a new circuit (wiring, breaker, etc) to your main panel, you should be able to install the consumption meter yourself. I'd definitely suggest having one. Makes the monitoring 1000 times better. It is really cool turning on an appliance and seeing the consumption going up instantly.

In terms of srecs, I diligently sell them using njsrec dot com as soon as they are created. I get a check within 2 days and they get put towards the solar loan.

Leave a comment:

• malba2366
    replied
    Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
    Projections have NJ SREC prices diving in 2021 and 2022 to below $100 each due to oversupply. Do not bank on $200+ per SREC when making ROI calculations as the vendor clearly did to come up with this 6.1 year ROI.

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    NJturtlePower headsup if you have a preference on which inverter. No guarantee but if you do have a preference send an email to your GPE rep. I pasted my reply on this subject on another thread below.

Thanks to ButchDeal for pointing out that the screenless version has the same exact model number. Search result for SE11400H-US almost always shows the one having the screen, and I assumed that's what I'm getting. I asked my installer about it and told him my preference for the one with the screen. Below is my reply. I'll see what I end up with.

I have no idea how these inverters work, but my thinking is that if it has a microprocessor running some kind of software, there's always a chance of it locking up like a computer. Without the display and relying only on the wifi to connect to the phone app, in the event of a lockup it'll probably take the wifi with it and you can't see what the status is.

"I'll make the request to our distributer to give us the inverter with the screen. We usually get whichever inverter they have in stock the day before we are ready.

Those with the screens are being phased out just a heads up, however Soleredge does have an option on their app where you can see what would be on the screen on your phone. Hope that helps."

Leave a comment:

• JSchnee21
    replied
    Basically, I was still doing most of the work myself anyway. Checking the meter once a month, sending a picture to them. They wanted $10 commission per SREC, and then I would have to wait for a check. By cutting out the middleman, it's just a few clicks online, less commission, and EFT straight to my bank account.

What would be fantastic is some sort of online monitoring with automation GATS registration. Evidently this is how it works for commercial generators but not residential.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    It probably doesn't really matter if it has a screen or not. I get the impression the ones with the screens are being discontinued in favor of the "more reliable" (aka less expensive to MFG) SetApp versions.

For NJ SREC's you will need to submit documentation periodically to demonstrate your actual production from your SREC production meter. In my case, I have a separate physical meter (in addition to PoCo bi-directional, and in addition to non-revenue grade display on my inverter).

So I simply take a photo of my SREC meter every month and upload to PJM-EIS GATS to document my production (in addition to typing in the values). For every MWh produced, I get one SREC. Each SREC has been running ~$220 this year.

If you can swing a revue grade inverter, and it has no display, you'd have to take screen shots from the SolarEdge portal or Mobile App, I guess.

You can let GPE manage your SREC's but Macaddict and I do it ourselves and sell our SREC's through the Flett Exchange. They only charge $5 per transaction. I usually only sell 3 to 5 times a year (I make ~11-12 SREC's/yr)

I should be making more, but my trees get in the way. And the shallow pitch (20 degrees) of my roof doesn't help either.

Macaddict's efficiency (kWh/kW DC) is much better than mine.
    Agree about the display-less meters, likely too many warranty claims paid out, so rather than improve the components they engineered them out. Whatever keeps it running I guess is best in the end.

Helpful to know how the SREC checks and balances work, thanks.

So how would GPE managing the SREC's be any different? Extra fees or commission I'm guessing?

Leave a comment:

• JSchnee21
    replied
    It probably doesn't really matter if it has a screen or not. I get the impression the ones with the screens are being discontinued in favor of the "more reliable" (aka less expensive to MFG) SetApp versions.

For NJ SREC's you will need to submit documentation periodically to demonstrate your actual production from your SREC production meter. In my case, I have a separate physical meter (in addition to PoCo bi-directional, and in addition to non-revenue grade display on my inverter).

So I simply take a photo of my SREC meter every month and upload to PJM-EIS GATS to document my production (in addition to typing in the values). For every MWh produced, I get one SREC. Each SREC has been running ~$220 this year.

If you can swing a revue grade inverter, and it has no display, you'd have to take screen shots from the SolarEdge portal or Mobile App, I guess.

You can let GPE manage your SREC's but Macaddict and I do it ourselves and sell our SREC's through the Flett Exchange. They only charge $5 per transaction. I usually only sell 3 to 5 times a year (I make ~11-12 SREC's/yr)

I should be making more, but my trees get in the way. And the shallow pitch (20 degrees) of my roof doesn't help either.

Macaddict's efficiency (kWh/kW DC) is much better than mine.
    Last edited by JSchnee21; 05-31-2019, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

That is only part of the model number...
    The setapp inverters have the SAME first part of the model numbers and do NOT have a screen...

Note the Applicable to invertes with part number, section of this: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...tasheet-na.pdf
    Interesting find....even the PDF itself isn't very clear in this regard by not listing all the differentiating full part numbers for each inverter model/level.

Shot an email to GPE to see if he can clarify as even the engineering system plans show no more detail than "SE11400H-US".

In a quick online search I see there isn't much of a price difference, maybe $100-$200 between the two.
    • The bigger question is does it really matter?
    • What is the functionality of the display vs the online/app data?
    • I mean unless you just routinely want to spot check the output at the source vs remotely?

Last edited by NJturtlePower; 05-30-2019, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post
    That is only part of the model number...
    The setapp inverters have the SAME first part of the model numbers and do NOT have a screen...

Note the Applicable to invertes with part number, section of this: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...tasheet-na.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X