Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    So how did the roof install go? sunpoweredev

My roofing supplies are being delivered Monday, dumpster on Tuesday and install Wedns. or Thurs. depending on the weather.

Damien sent me a site map screenshot with placement of the supplies and dumpster today to confirm. Getting excited!

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by macaddict View Post

I guess it depends on your definition of "real time"...

Using Ethernet and looking at the SolarEdge App or Monitoring website, I can see my instant Production and Consumption meaning that if I turn on a hair drier, I see the actual kWh consumption value within 1-2 seconds . Similar if a cloud passes over, I see my production drop within 1-2 seconds.So both of these values update every 1-2 seconds to show what the meter is sensing. When I had it setup using Cellular, I was not able to see any of this, only updates every 4 hours.

When looking at the graphs, that information is shown in 15 minutes intervals.
    When looking at the API data in PVOutput, I see production information in 5 minutes intervals and consumption information in 15 minute intervals.
    well as I have a CS background 1-2 seconds is pretty far from real time..
    You are talking about production value which gets updated more often but more detailed measurements which OP was talking about are taken every 5 minutes (ALL PV module data for example), which is from the page OP posted about talking about sampled 5 minutes VS 15 minutes ....

As for the solaredge graphs, it depends on which graphs you are looking at. see my other post about 5 minute graphs on SolarEdge monitoring..

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

OK then....I'm sure your response is based on actual data review...but not sure why SE would leave that detail out of the install guide after listing it specifically for cellular.

Either way, I'm going Ethernet as it's a quick 10-15ft pull from my router modem directly above and undoubtedly more consistent/stable.
    Also the Cellular document you were looking at is old. The current one is the GSM document (though same info on sampling rate).

My response is given based on the documentation on the inverter, experience with the monitoring, etc.
    The optimizers sample and report ever 5 minutes. In low speed mode they average that to 15 minute, but with everything else they report the 5 minute data.
    There are other threads about the data reporting where I have shown graphs with 5 minute data for the questioning type :

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...dge-monitoring

Leave a comment:

• macaddict
    replied
    Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

With an ethernet connection it is NOT real time but sampled every 5 minutes.
    I guess it depends on your definition of "real time"...

Using Ethernet and looking at the SolarEdge App or Monitoring website, I can see my instant Production and Consumption meaning that if I turn on a hair drier, I see the actual kWh consumption value within 1-2 seconds . Similar if a cloud passes over, I see my production drop within 1-2 seconds.So both of these values update every 1-2 seconds to show what the meter is sensing. When I had it setup using Cellular, I was not able to see any of this, only updates every 4 hours.

When looking at the graphs, that information is shown in 15 minutes intervals.
    When looking at the API data in PVOutput, I see production information in 5 minutes intervals and consumption information in 15 minute intervals.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied

OK then....I'm sure your response is based on actual data review...but not sure why SE would leave that detail out of the install guide after listing it specifically for cellular.

Either way, I'm going Ethernet as it's a quick 10-15ft pull from my router modem directly above and undoubtedly more consistent/stable.

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied

The Ethernet connection will give you constant real-time data vs the low or high bandwidth cellular which is at best sampled every 5-minutes.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    So on to the subject of SE inverter connectivity..... I had read or watched some YouTube video noting the differences in data transmission/sampling between the cellular card options which is included with my system vs the built-in Ethernet port I was planning to run a line to.

Video of Ethernet Install/Setup:

Sure enough, I found confirmation of all the details in the SE Communication Options install guide screenshot below.

SE Ethernet vs Cellular.jpg

The Ethernet connection will give you ::EDIT:: consistent 5-minute data intervals vs the low or high bandwidth cellular which is at BEST sampled every 5-minutes dependant on your plan. Cellular could be an OK backup I guess in case there was a serious internet disruption, but otherwise not worth the service plan cost in areas with solid high-speed internet.

Required Equipment : CAT5 or CAT6 Ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors. Max distance: 100 meters / 300 ft.
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-06-2019, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    replied

Hey Butch just looking back at some of your original comments here and I think I misinterpreted the part about the "internal" revenue grade meter.

I was thinking internal as in mounting location vs external, but I realize you were talking about eliminating the separate revenue grade meter in favor of the built in option direct from SolarEdge.

Could you help me out with a part number for a built in RGM for my proposed SE11400 unit?
    The SE11400H-US000BNC4 is the SE11400H with RGM (Revenue Grade Meter) included

Overall this should actually be cheaper than a separate unit considering labor correct? Not expecting to get any reduction from my installer but at least have the simplified cleaner install.

Anybody that has used GPE go this route before I inquire? I'm sure most installers prefer to do things the way they are used to and comfortable with, but this would be best for both of us it seems.
    It is about $175 more than the regular SetApp inverter.
    It also has automatic reporting so no need to manual read and send in photos of a meter.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    I would personally request that they remove the external revenue grade meter and add an internal SolarEdge revenue grade meter as well as a consumption meter.
    The benefit is one single monitoring with revenue grade data, one less external box, one less external monitoring service, and cleaner install.
    Hey Butch just looking back at some of your original comments here and I think I misinterpreted the part about the "internal" revenue grade meter.

I was thinking internal as in mounting location vs external, but I realize you were talking about eliminating the separate revenue grade meter in favor of the built in option direct from SolarEdge.

Could you help me out with a part number for a built in RGM for my proposed SE11400 unit?

Overall this should actually be cheaper than a separate unit considering labor correct? Not expecting to get any reduction from my installer but at least have the simplified cleaner install.

Anybody that has used GPE go this route before I inquire? I'm sure most installers prefer to do things the way they are used to and comfortable with, but this would be best for both of us it seems.

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    flowing I should've thought of having the 14-50 outlet in the middle, in case we end up with a second EV. Being able to charge at work for free is sweet.

Leave a comment:

• flowing
    replied
    I would keep the original charger in the car as a backup. I got a HPWC free from Tesla. So I installed it on one of the two 14-50 outlets I have in my garage. We could both charge.... But in reality we never charge at the same time. My girl gets to charge at work so she never uses my old charger. Pic is prior to a storm where we wanted to make sure we both had power.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    The cost of adding a second one is like adding a years worth of charging costs is the way I look at it, so much like the cool looking Tesla HPWC it's just not worth the cost and definitely not needed for my minimal daily commute of 10-20mi. Even if I ran down to 5% on a weekend, which I never have, the car would end up sitting at least 8-10hrs overnight so the CMC on a NEMA 14-50 outlet (50A) does more than fine at no additional cost.
    Yeah all true. The car sits in the garage overnight anyway, really makes no difference adding 30 miles an hour vs 35 or 44. Actually I sometimes I set it to charge at 30A. It's definitely not worth the cost of buying another charger. I was supposed to sell off my Gen 2 that came with the car to offset the Gen 1 purchase, but I left it in the car for who knows what lol. I actually don't even know if the charger works, should really plug it in to make sure it does.

I read that in the newer Tesla builds, they even removed the 14-50 adapter. Those who want it have to buy it separately, which is a big inconvenience for the new owners for a minor $30 part.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post

Yes my GPE rep included the 25yrs warranty by default on the inverter.

I'm scheduled for week of 6/17, and the roof will be done tomorrow.

Regarding your Tesla charger, the included Gen 2 mobile charger is only capable of 32A charging max, regardless of which model vehicle. While awaiting delivery of my car, I bought a new Gen 1 mobile charger on Ebay for ~$300 which can charge my dual-motor at 40A which gets me like 35-37 miles an hour. Not a huge difference for routine charging, which I plug in when under 40% and stops at 85%, but can amount to an hour's difference charging from a lower state of charge and taking it to 100%. I really wanted the wall charger for a nice clean look on the garage wall, but it would need a 60A breaker to get the max 48A charging capability and I just didn't want to risk tripping any breakers on my small 150A panel. The wall charger can be configured for a smaller breaker but it kind of defeats the purpose of having it.
    Awesome! I should be getting my roof done next week, just e-signed the Costello contracts yesterday, but yet to confirm any solar install date with GPE. I'll be updating my Post #1 when dates are set and will add some pictures of both roof and solar installs along the way.

Yes, I'm aware of the differences between the UMC(GEN1) and CMC(GEN2). The cost of adding a second one is like adding a years worth of charging costs is the way I look at it, so much like the cool looking Tesla HPWC it's just not worth the cost and definitely not needed for my minimal daily commute of 10-20mi. Even if I ran down to 5% on a weekend, which I never have, the car would end up sitting at least 8-10hrs overnight so the CMC on a NEMA 14-50 outlet (50A) does more than fine at no additional cost.

Then again, this is specific to the Model 3 which charges much faster regardless of the source than an S or X.

GEN2 CMC Charging Rates --------------vs----------------- HPWC Charging Rates:
    CMC Rates.jpgHPWC Rates.jpg
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-05-2019, 09:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    sunpoweredev One another detail I confirmed with Tim at GPE recently was the SE Inverter Warranty.

Most SE documentation states 12-25 year warranty but GPE in fact upgrades all installs to the 25yr warranty option. The SE Optimizers also have a full 25yr coverage.

Any update to your system install timeline?
    Yes my GPE rep included the 25yrs warranty by default on the inverter.

I'm scheduled for week of 6/17, and the roof will be done tomorrow.

Regarding your Tesla charger, the included Gen 2 mobile charger is only capable of 32A charging max, regardless of which model vehicle. While awaiting delivery of my car, I bought a new Gen 1 mobile charger on Ebay for ~$300 which can charge my dual-motor at 40A which gets me like 35-37 miles an hour. Not a huge difference for routine charging, which I plug in when under 40% and stops at 85%, but can amount to an hour's difference charging from a lower state of charge and taking it to 100%. I really wanted the wall charger for a nice clean look on the garage wall, but it would need a 60A breaker to get the max 48A charging capability and I just didn't want to risk tripping any breakers on my small 150A panel. The wall charger can be configured for a smaller breaker but it kind of defeats the purpose of having it.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    sunpoweredev One another detail I confirmed with Tim at GPE recently was the SE Inverter Warranty.

Most SE documentation states 12-25 year warranty but GPE in fact upgrades all installs to the 25yr warranty option. The SE Optimizers also have a full 25yr coverage.

Any update to your system install timeline?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X