• Spektre
    replied
    Originally posted by Markyrocks69 View Post
    In which way?
    Plug and play connections (mostly)
    No messing with energized dc cables
    No additional rapid shutdown device needed
    Ease of replacement if necessary
    For my installation, string inverters would need to be in my garage, so additional 50-60' run to/from exterior mounted panel

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Coach v View Post
    I have decided to use an SMA string inverter for my system.
    IMO, you will have a cleaner, simpler system that will have a higher probability of fewer problems. KISS.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Coach v
    replied
    I have decided to use an SMA string inverter for my system.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Spektre View Post
    From a DIY perspective, I'd add that micros are significantly easier to install as well.
    For an extensive system, the wiring for the micros will probably be much more difficult. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• Markyrocks69
    replied
    Originally posted by Spektre View Post
    From a DIY perspective, I'd add that micros are significantly easier to install as well.
    In which way?

Leave a comment:

• Spektre
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied
    Originally posted by nwdiver View Post

I'm really perplexed on the popularity of Enphase. What makes it worse is that when I ask people why they prefer Enphase I've never been given a reason that's accurate. Lower Line Losses? No. More Shade Tolerant? Not really. The most popular reason is that if one panel is shaded in a string of 14 panels that the other 13 panels have their output reduced with a string inverter... which is 100% false.
    Shade tolerance was one reason I went with Enphase, since I have trees and a chimney that pass over various panels during the day and I didn't want one or two shaded panels taking down a series string. I don't see any other advantage other than rapid shutdown and panel level monitoring which I really don't need. I don't want a string inverter with optimizers for various reasons, so Enphase seemed like a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• nwdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Markyrocks69 View Post
    I'm definitely a fan of ground mount setups. However it is significantly more money.
    NEC 2017 has evened that up a bit

Leave a comment:

• Markyrocks69
    replied
    If you go ground mount, microinverters are a complete waste. Especially if you're saying no shade. You will have higher loss as was mentioned.

I'm definitely a fan of ground mount setups. However it is significantly more money. That being said it adds into the ROI time. It's also alot more work. Alot more work. I didn't have much of a choice on my property. But I definitely think the pros outweigh the cons.

Leave a comment:

• nwdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Right, strings avoid additional AC voltage at the inverter. Bruce Roe

Ah... I think I misread your post. More grief with micros... gotcha

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by nwdiver View Post
    I don't understand why micros would be better here... why not just put the inverters near the meter and run DC?
    Right, strings avoid additional AC voltage at the inverter. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• nwdiver
    replied
    From what I heard(not what I know): warranty, ease of install, good product support, longevity of company, price becoming closer, monitoring.
    Other manufactures like SMA and Solar Edge also offer extended warranties but IMO ~12 years is plenty. Have you seen the inverter that existed ~12 years ago? Just save the savings and if there's a failure at year 13 buy a smaller, cheaper and more efficient inverter that will probably have direct 5G or something crazy; I've never installed an Enphase system but I don't see how it could be easier than just running DC to a string inverter. I'll find out next month. Renvu was giving away M215s so we picked of a 4.6kW system for ~$3k too good to pass up.

Solar Edge and now even SMA if you have Tigo modules also offer module level monitoring and you don't need to buy a $500 gateway.

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
    The there is the issue of the inverters pushing high line voltage up toward the trip point.
    This problem gets worse as the inverters get farther from the meter (located at the panels).
    Caused me some grief with strings here, but not nearly as much as with micros. Bruce Roe
    I don't understand why micros would be better here... why not just put the inverters near the meter and run DC?
    Last edited by nwdiver; 06-20-2019, 03:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    If there is much distance between the panels and the meter, the cost of wiring becomes
    important between micros and strings. Its about 700' from my most distant panel to the
    meter. Seeing the wiring investment for the 2 types side by side would be significant. I
    see it in other systems similar to mine. As is my wire covers the distance about half DC
    string voltage and the rest AC inverter output. DC losses are just above 1%, AC losses
    are over 3% at peak. There is a 4 gauge pair running out to my inverters, but to get
    good control I would need about 3/0 gauge using micros.

The there is the issue of the inverters pushing high line voltage up toward the trip point.
    This problem gets worse as the inverters get farther from the meter (located at the panels).
    Caused me some grief with strings here, but not nearly as much as with micros. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• Coach v
    replied
    From what I heard(not what I know): warranty, ease of install, good product support, longevity of company, price becoming closer, monitoring.

Leave a comment:

• nwdiver
    replied
    I did decide to go with Enphase micro inverters. The cost difference was less than $1k on a 6kw ground system. The main reason is 90% of the folks I spoke to in person, including the ones that will be helping me install, say to use Enphase micros. Only one said he would chose string inverters due to cost only.
    I'm really perplexed on the popularity of Enphase. What makes it worse is that when I ask people why they prefer Enphase I've never been given a reason that's accurate. Lower Line Losses? No. More Shade Tolerant? Not really. The most popular reason is that if one panel is shaded in a string of 14 panels that the other 13 panels have their output reduced with a string inverter... which is 100% false.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X